• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design How do I .....? The Thread for all questions more than general.

Any help on these things?

Wind sound all over the map without having to add a million AmbientSound actors. The properties in the levelinfo/Zoneinfo Actors seem to modify the Accoustics rather than the sound played.

Random Artillery. But not like Baksan Valley, because it would take a long time to set up. There is a ProjectileSpawner Actor in UT2004- could this be modified to fire large ROHEShells or similar, with a randomised trajectory?. From a scripted trigger maybe? I could probably code it if the network (replication) stuff was not too hard, but I need a pointer to start

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Any help on these things?

Wind sound all over the map without having to add a million AmbientSound actors. The properties in the levelinfo/Zoneinfo Actors seem to modify the Accoustics rather than the sound played.

Random Artillery. But not like Baksan Valley, because it would take a long time to set up. There is a ProjectileSpawner Actor in UT2004- could this be modified to fire large ROHEShells or similar, with a randomised trajectory?. From a scripted trigger maybe? I could probably code it if the network (replication) stuff was not too hard, but I need a pointer to start

1. I think there is a place to enter the ambient sound in the ROlevel info or somewhere. that will put it over the entire map.

2. Random Arty is really not all that hard I could cut out a system for you pretty easily. If you want a random trajectory then I am not sure pretty sure the spawner has to be set, otherwise some coding is in order. If you would like to stage a scene to trigger a random set this could be easily done also PM me if you would like for me to help.

Upvote 0
1. I think there is a place to enter the ambient sound in the ROlevel info or somewhere. that will put it over the entire map.

2. Random Arty is really not all that hard I could cut out a system for you pretty easily. If you want a random trajectory then I am not sure pretty sure the spawner has to be set, otherwise some coding is in order. If you would like to stage a scene to trigger a random set this could be easily done also PM me if you would like for me to help.

Thanks

Im trying the sound thing now- ill edit this in an hour os so.

I played around with the arty all sunday. I got IS2CannonShellHE projectiles firing fine with the ACTION_SpawnActor script in a ScriptedTrigger, with wait states etc to ramdomise the timing a bit. They all landed in exactly the same place on the roof of my level as they travelled too fast. They need to be slower. I then subclassed the IS2CannonshellHE and attempted to get it to change its trajectory as soon as it was spawned, but no luck. See this thread for the script I wrote.

http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/showthread.php?p=225455#post225455

If you could suggest any way of doing this it would be Great. The script is for RO-Road to Orel, cause even the largest Arty setting doesnt really have a big enough effect, and having arty dropping randomly in salvos orver the map would add a lot to the tension. I dont intend to overuse it, maybe one salvo of around 20 shells every couple of minutes. They would be spread out over a large area.

Upvote 0
I don't think putting an ambient sound in your zoneinfo or levelinfo DOES put it all over the map, I am fairly sure that you actually will have to dot ambient sound actors all over the place. Hope I'm wrong but think I'm right. :(

You should never use one single sound source playing 100% on your map. There's a few custom maps that do this and the effects are plain and flat, let alone having an enhanced irritation efect of hearing the same wind gushing loop 30 times a minute at 100% volume for 20 minutes long.

You should use several ambient sound actors placed in your map, using several variations on your sound theme.

Examples:

If your wind is blowing hard, that same wind makes different noises around closed and open structures, it sounds different along treelines and different in open fields

If it's raining on your map, that same rain sounds different on a metal roof or a wooden roof. It sounds different hitting trees then it does hitting mud or dirt. It sounds different hitting riverwater then it does hitting the stone bridge that crosses it.

Try to use several ambient actors to enhance the stereo image of your sound set up, and to support the visuals on your map. A forest not only looks like a forest but also sounds like a forest etc :)

Upvote 0
Wrong thread but I think that i read what you did yesterday.
If I understand correctly you want a volley of fire to land on an area about every
20 mins. This should not be to hard and you could do it with scripted triggers and spawners. I dont think that you need to do any coding unless I am missing something.
I would start with a scripted trigger
code/
wait for timer
set to 1200 seconds
fire event A
wait for timer
.2 seconds
fire event b
1 second ( whatever you want)
... so on like this till you get the amount of shells you want in your volley

/code

Now you will also need to get a shell spawner I would get it from Stalingrad kessel(look on the rooftop edges). and just copy and paste in here makes sure your tags = your events that you are fireing. If you want to make this repeatable you would put another wait for timer at the bottom with the set time like another 20 mins then place a go to section and set it to go to the number of your first fire event in this example I think that would be 1. and it would fire the sequence again. Now you will spread your spawners around the area you want to hit make sure they have enough height. Firing this volley every 20 mins and with so many shells it will all appear to be random I think. Then you can copy the whole system and paste and change all of your tags and events to AA and BB change your timer and then you have a new volley to arrange.
Again Rakowice outpost has all of the random arty system in it. the triggers are just North of the main bunker then you will have to get allof the spawners But you could just rip that system out also.

There are probably other ways that you could do this but this is my quick and easy method. I just thought of another way to make the arty firings really random but I would have to set it up in the SDK first. Let me know if you want more info on that. You can PM me if you would like.

Upvote 0
Wrong thread but I think that i read what you did yesterday.
If I understand correctly you want a volley of fire to land on an area about every
20 mins. This should not be to hard and you could do it with scripted triggers and spawners. I dont think that you need to do any coding unless I am missing something.
I would start with a scripted trigger
code/
wait for timer
set to 1200 seconds
fire event A
wait for timer
.2 seconds
fire event b
1 second ( whatever you want)
... so on like this till you get the amount of shells you want in your volley

/code

Now you will also need to get a shell spawner I would get it from Stalingrad kessel(look on the rooftop edges). and just copy and paste in here makes sure your tags = your events that you are fireing. If you want to make this repeatable you would put another wait for timer at the bottom with the set time like another 20 mins then place a go to section and set it to go to the number of your first fire event in this example I think that would be 1. and it would fire the sequence again. Now you will spread your spawners around the area you want to hit make sure they have enough height. Firing this volley every 20 mins and with so many shells it will all appear to be random I think. Then you can copy the whole system and paste and change all of your tags and events to AA and BB change your timer and then you have a new volley to arrange.
Again Rakowice outpost has all of the random arty system in it. the triggers are just North of the main bunker then you will have to get allof the spawners But you could just rip that system out also.

There are probably other ways that you could do this but this is my quick and easy method. I just thought of another way to make the arty firings really random but I would have to set it up in the SDK first. Let me know if you want more info on that. You can PM me if you would like.

I do want a more random arty if possible. I was previously trying to extend the IS2CannonShellHE, using the POSTBEGINPLAY() (which I am assuming is the first function called on a new actor when it is spawned) to randomly adjust the rotation and speed of the projectile. This didnt work. I guess I could Attach the SriptedTriggers to a mover that is set to trigger at the start of the level, and by tweaking the mover keypoints etc have it "spray" the rounds all over the place. I dont want any movers in the level tho cause they chew bandwidth. I also need to drastically slow down the shells so they have more of and archin trajectory. At the moment they fire clear across the level, They only drop about 100m over 5km.

I also dont want the areas that are effected by the arty to be "cheatable" by opening the map in the editor and finding where the arty point are, and then avoiding them in-game.

I just had a thought: Maybe its not the rotation of the shell that I should change but the velocity. I will check that out and see.

I could also set up a timer (... not sure how to CALL the timer function, but hey) in the RODistantArtyShell class to run for maybe 0.3 sec, then set the rotation( or velocity) to the new randomised value.

see this thread for the latest of the scripts:
http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/showthread.php?p=234117#post234117

Last edited:
Upvote 0
well I did come up with some psuedocode for randomizing the spawners so no arty burst would be the same but they would still only fall in the area that you put the spawners. I dont think that this is what you are looking for. Velocity will affect the distance that your round will go and flatten the trajectory. I also only think that changing the rotation will just make the round more accurate and also flatten the trajectory.

Upvote 0
i have 2 questions:

1st:
ive made a few walls as static meshes but the dont stop vehicles from driving through. but you have to be fast to drive through, if you go slow it doesnt work, any idea how to fix that? (Edit: works at any speed, was confused with stuff behind the wall.)

2nd:
i want to make one objective that can be captured from serveral seperated volumes, i gave them all the same tag and made sure the volume tag of the objective fits as well, but you can cap the objective only from the volume that has the ROObjTerritory inside it. any idea how to make my idea possible?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i have 2 questions:

1st:
ive made a few walls as static meshes but the dont stop vehicles from driving through. but you have to be fast to drive through, if you go slow it doesnt work, any idea how to fix that? (Edit: works at any speed, was confused with stuff behind the wall.)

2nd:
i want to make one objective that can be captured from serveral seperated volumes, i gave them all the same tag and made sure the volume tag of the objective fits as well, but you can cap the objective only from the volume that has the ROObjTerritory inside it. any idea how to make my idea possible?

Thanks.

Dont know about the 1st there has to be a vehicle block or something or collide. If not maybe you could put a blocking volume around your SMesh walls.

2. Check out the Berezina thread Somewhere I think this is posted and the discussed how to do it not sure if Slyk did it or not for the VillageCP I never looked but it was posted how to make several disconnected volumes one cap zone. When you find it maybe you should make it a seperate thread in here so that it is easy to find.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Divinehammer said:
Dont know about the 1st there has to be a vehicle block or something or collide. If not maybe you could put a blocking volume around your SMesh walls.

2. Check out the Berezina thread Somewhere I think this is posted and the discussed how to do it not sure if Slyk did it or not for the VillageCP I never looked but it was posted how to make several disconnected volumes one cap zone. When you find it maybe you should make it a seperate thread in here so that it is easy to find.

yes, i found that blocking volumes suit me best at my problem.

after a while searching i found how to do it with seperated locations, its here
at the end of the page, explained with pictures.

sixpakken said:
have you tried this, create collision model in 3dmax?

http://udn.epicgames.com/Two/Collisi...ing_Program_3D_

i didnt try it but ive heard about the possibility, but i decided then that blocking volumes may be better and easier to do in my case.
there is lot to learn about static mesh collision here.

thanks for your help.

Upvote 0
Rak,

The actor is located at the bottom of the list on the Actor menu - xWeatherEffect (or something like that). Once in level, he looks like one of those dragon-dogs.

Place it near the center of your level about 2048 UU above the terrain. You'll then need to go into the Texture browser for Baksan Valley (I believe - or maybe it's Pitomnik) and select the snow flake texture and set it as the skin under the xWeatherEffect Actor's display properties.

For the record, Rakowice has two of them positioned on the level. Not sure why that was done.

Also, you will need to build "NoSnow" volumes around any of your enterable buildings so that the players don't see snow coming through the roof while they are walking around inside. You'll need to set the Event tag on the xWeatherEffect actor AND the volume as "no snow".

You can do the same thing for rain on your level. Just find the rain drop texture on Hedgehog and set it as the skin on you xWeatherEffect actor. Same advice goes in regards to setting up "no rain" volumes on your enterable buildings.

Maybe a developer can jump in here...

Upvote 0
Hokay.

So I'm trying to bot path Leningrad but I've run into a problem. As some of you may know the streets are entirely blocked off by barricades that must be blown before the tanks can move up. The problem is that bots are stupid and don't realize this so they just run into the barricades at full speed and get stuck there.

Is there some way to get bots to stop in front of the barricade until an event is thrown? I have tried to use an AI Script to tell the bots to 'WaitForEvent' and then force move them through the barricade after it is destroyed but they do not recognize the AI Script at all.

It also seems that the bot tanks must have an open route to the objective or else they will not even move from the spawn. They will also use infantry path nodes even though bVehicleDestination is set to False.

Any ideas on how to get around this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0
Rak,

The actor is located at the bottom of the list on the Actor menu - xWeatherEffect (or something like that). Once in level, he looks like one of those dragon-dogs.

Place it near the center of your level about 2048 UU above the terrain. You'll then need to go into the Texture browser for Baksan Valley (I believe - or maybe it's Pitomnik) and select the snow flake texture and set it as the skin under the xWeatherEffect Actor's display properties.

For the record, Rakowice has two of them positioned on the level. Not sure why that was done.

Also, you will need to build "NoSnow" volumes around any of your enterable buildings so that the players don't see snow coming through the roof while they are walking around inside. You'll need to set the Event tag on the xWeatherEffect actor AND the volume as "no snow".

You can do the same thing for rain on your level. Just find the rain drop texture on Hedgehog and set it as the skin on you xWeatherEffect actor. Same advice goes in regards to setting up "no rain" volumes on your enterable buildings.

Maybe a developer can jump in here...

Two weather affects make the snow heavier also you can make the snow move in certain directions and faster dependin on your settings like it could float down or you could change it to come in at a slant and fast like a blizzard. As for blowing snow on the ground those are done with an emiitter that emits a smoke texture. I have found putting the emitter under the terrain to be the best option. By the time it gets to the terrain it starts well spread out. This emitter I think can be found between teh fence and the treeline on Kurl and kessel.

Upvote 0