• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map RO-Leningrad [Beta 1]

Wow - excellent map! If I may, some small suggestions or questions:
  • can some of the tram lines be broken or missing rather than all being intact?
  • can the red in the red wall buildings be less bright to blend with other buildings?
  • I also experience the light from the fires too bright, but have read and understand what was said about this

Upvote 0
Wow - excellent map! If I may, some small suggestions or questions:
  • can some of the tram lines be broken or missing rather than all being intact?
  • can the red in the red wall buildings be less bright to blend with other buildings?
  • I also experience the light from the fires too bright, but have read and understand what was said about this

Suggestions and questions are what this thread is all about. :)

Some of the tram lines are broken but most are left up because I don't have a custom mesh for a broken line yet. Right now they're all straight lines with a bit of sag in them so I don't have a lot to work with. I'll take note of the suggestion but I can't promise anything until I get some more important issues out of the way.

As for the red texture I'm assuming you're talking about the one for the Belosselsky-Belozersky Palace wall? The texture needs some more dirt/grime added and maybe I should tone the red down a bit but it does stand out in real life. Redoing the texture is on the list, but closer to the bottom. ;) Palace pics: 1 2 3

What about the fires is too bright? Is it the Bloom? Or something else?

I really like this map, espesially the sewers, the fighting in the sewers is awesome. The only thing that bothers me is that it has to much furniture, it plays very slow because of all the furniture. Please make the map so it runs as fast as most of the maps.

Making good progress on the FPS issues today, still on track for Beta 2 by next weekend. Glad you liked the map and I can assure you it will be a lot smoother in Beta 2! :)

i love this map, it gives that 'epic' sort of feel, i hardly see it on any servers which is annoying!!
i get quite a bit of graphical lag in the outside areas, maybe its the buildings/fire, but it runs smooth in the buildings and sewers.

Actually at this point it's probably a good thing if servers don't run it. I guess I jumped the gun with Beta 1 and should have optimized it more but what's done is done and I'll try to fix it as soon as I can for you guys. Thanks for the comment. :cool:

Today I spent most of my time condensing the building staticmeshes into larger meshes so they will render faster. As you can see from these two screenshots (first is Beta 1, second is my current version) the FPS has improved. So far I've just done some work in Maya with the building facades which has cut the triangle count in this section down from 22400 to 17400. One thing I do notice from these two screenshots is that my decolayer is taking 7-9 ms (!!!) to render which is quite a bit, especially considering that the view in the screenshots is only showing 22 deco objects worth a measly 264 triangles. If I can't figure out why they're taking so long to render I'll have to remove them for Beta 2.

Thanks for the comments so far, keep em coming. :)

Upvote 0
Today I spent most of my time condensing the building staticmeshes into larger meshes so they will render faster. As you can see from these two screenshots (first is Beta 1, second is my current version) the FPS has improved. So far I've just done some work in Maya with the building facades which has cut the triangle count in this section down from 22400 to 17400. One thing I do notice from these two screenshots is that my decolayer is taking 7-9 ms (!!!) to render which is quite a bit, especially considering that the view in the screenshots is only showing 22 deco objects worth a measly 264 triangles. If I can't figure out why they're taking so long to render I'll have to remove them for Beta 2.

What have you reduced the actor count to with the mesh combining, getting that down is pretty important for the performance. From what I saw of the architecture, it would be pretty simple to cut it in half. And with the deco layer, compare fps in versions where its on and off. Sometimes stat render says it hurts the performance a lot but its not actually reflected in the fps.

Upvote 0
Build RedOrchestra_Build_[2005-11-27_10.48]

CPU: AuthenticAMD Unknown processor @ 2102 MHz with 1022MB RAM
Video: NVIDIA G73 (8456)

ROTeamGame RO-Leningrad_Beta1.ROTeamGame (Function Engine.Actor.Destroyed:0000) Infinite script recursion (250 calls) detected

History: FFrame::Serialize <- UObject::processEvent <- (ROBot RO-Leningrad_Beta1.ROBot, Function ROEngine.ROBot.Destroyed) <- ULevel::DestroyActor <- (ROBot RO-Leningrad_Beta1.ROBot) <- UObject::processEvent <- (ROBot RO-Leningrad_Beta1.ROBot, Function ROEngine.ROBot.Destroyed) <- ULevel:estroyActor <- (ROBot RO-Leningrad_Beta1.ROBot) <- UObject::processEvent <- (ROBot RO-Leningrad_Beta1.ROBot, Function ROEngine.ROBot.Destroyed) <- ULevel:estroyActor <- (ROBot RO-Leningrad_Beta1.ROBot) <- UObject::processEvent <- (ROBot RO-Leningrad_Beta1.ROBot, Function ROEngine.ROBot.Destroyed) <- ULevel:estroyActor <- (ROBot RO-Leningrad_Beta1.ROBot) <- UObject::processEvent <- (ROBot RO-Leningrad_Beta1.ROBot, Function ROEngine.ROBot.Destroyed) <- ULevel:estroyActor <- (ROBot RO-Leningrad_Beta1.ROBot) <- UObject::processEvent <- (ROBot RO-Leningrad_Beta1.ROBot, Function ROEngine.ROBot.Destroyed) <- ULevel:estroyActor <- (ROBot RO-Leningrad_Beta1.ROBot) <- UObject::processEvent <- (ROBot RO-Leningrad_Beta1.ROBot, Function ROEngine.ROBot.Destroyed) <- ULevel:estroyActor <- (ROBot RO-Leningrad_Beta1.ROBot) <- UObject::processEvent <- (ROBot RO-Leningrad_Beta1.ROBot, Function ROEngine.ROBot.Destroyed) <- ULevel:estroyActor <- (ROBot RO-Leningrad_Beta1.ROBot) <- UObject::processEvent <- (ROBot RO-Leningrad_Beta1.ROBot, Function ROEngine.ROBot.Destroyed) <- ULevel:estroyActor <- (ROBot RO-Leningrad_Beta1.ROBot) <- UObject::processEvent <- (ROBot RO-Leningrad_Beta1.ROBot, Function ROEngine.ROBot.Destroyed) <- ULevel:estroyActor <- (ROBot RO-Leningrad_Beta1.ROBot) <- UObject::processEvent <- (ROBot RO-Leningrad_Beta1.ROBot, Function ROEngine.ROBot.Destroyed) <- ULevel:estroyActor <- (ROBot RO-Leningrad_Beta1.ROBot) <- UObject::processEvent <- (ROBot RO-Leningrad_Beta1.ROBot, Function ROEngine.ROBot.Destroyed) <- ULevel:estroyActor <- (ROBot RO-Leningrad_Beta1.ROBot) <- UObject::processEvent <- (ROBot RO-Leningrad_Beta1.ROBot, Function ROEngine.ROBot.Destroyed) <- ULevel:estroyActor <- (ROBot RO-Leningrad_Beta1.ROBot) <- UObject::processEvent <- (ROBot RO-Leningrad_Beta1.ROBot, Function ROEngine.ROBot.Destroyed) <- ULevel:estroyActor <- (ROBot RO-Leningrad_Beta1.ROBot) <- UObject::processEvent <- (ROBot RO-Leningrad_Beta1.ROBot, Function ROEngine.ROBot.Destroyed) <- ULevel:estroyActor <- (ROBot RO-Leningrad_Beta1.ROBot) <- UObject::processEvent <- (ROBot RO-Leningrad_Beta1.ROBot, Function ROEngine.ROBot.Destroyed) <- ULevel:estroyActor <- (ROBot RO-Leningrad_Beta1.ROBot) <- UObject::processEvent <- (ROBot RO-Leningrad_Beta1.ROBot, Function ROEngine.ROBot.Destroyed) <- ULevel:estroyActor <- (ROBot RO-Leningrad_Beta1.ROBot) <- UObject::processEvent <- (ROBot RO-Leningrad_Beta1.ROBot, Function ROEngine.ROBot.Destroyed) <- ULevel:estroyActor <- (ROBot RO-Leningrad_Beta1.ROBot) <- UObject::processEvent <- (ROBot RO-Leningrad_Beta1.ROBot, Function ROEngine.ROBot.Destroyed) <- ULevel:estroyActor <- (ROBot RO-Leningrad_Beta1.ROBot) <- UObject::processEvent <- (ROBot RO-Leningrad_Beta1.ROBot, Function ROEngine.ROBot.Destroyed) <- ULevel:estroyActor <- (ROBot RO-Leningrad_Beta1.ROBot) <- UObject::processEvent <- (ROBot RO-Leningrad_Beta1.ROBot, Function ROEngine.ROBot.Destroyed) <- ULevel:estroyActor <- (ROBot RO-Leningrad_Beta1.ROBot) <- UObject::processEvent <- (ROBot RO-Leningrad_Beta1.ROBot, Function ROEngine.ROBot.Destroyed) <- ULevel:estroyActor <- (ROBot RO-Leningrad_Beta1.ROBot) <- UObject::processEvent <- (ROBot RO-Leningrad_Beta1.ROBot, Function ROEngine.ROBot.Destroyed) <- ULevel:estroyActor <- (ROBot RO-Leningrad_Beta1.ROBot) <- UObject::processEvent <- (ROBot RO-Leningrad_Beta1.ROBot, Function ROEngine.ROBot.Destroyed) <- ULevel:estroyActor <- (ROBot RO-Leningrad_Beta1.ROBot) <- UObject::processEvent <- (ROBot RO-Leningrad_Beta1.ROBot, Function ROEngine.ROBot.Destroyed) <- ULevel:estroyActor <- (ROBot RO-Leningrad_Beta1.ROBot) <- UObject::processEvent <- (ROBot RO-

First error ive ever had with RO

It loooked like a great map but then it died on me :(

Upvote 0
The map takes place in January 1942. I'm no expert but since it's called the Ppsh43 I think it would historically incorrect to add them in. ;)

Wrong. I'm surprised you don't know this, but look at these sources.

http://www.rt66.com/~korteng/SmallArms/pps43.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PPS43

Wikipedia said:
Designed by Aleksei Sudaev and first issued during the Siege of Leningrad, PPS-43 (Pistolet-Pulemet Sudaeva, Russian: Пистолет-пулемёт Судаева) was a result of further simplification of the PPSh-41, and it is often considered the best submachine gun of World War II.

http://www.rt66.com/~korteng/SmallArms/pps43.htm said:
The Soviet policy in WWII was to concentrate rigidly on one model for each type of weapon, but during the Siege of Leningrad the supply of PPSh41s fell very low. A prototype was hurriedly developed in a local factory in a design suitable for the equipment available. Quite naturally, it was simple in the extreme, but proved to be quite effective and was subsequently developed into the PPS43. Unusual for a Soviet weapon, the PPS43 used only the 35 round box magazine.

Upvote 0
What have you reduced the actor count to with the mesh combining, getting that down is pretty important for the performance. From what I saw of the architecture, it would be pretty simple to cut it in half. And with the deco layer, compare fps in versions where its on and off. Sometimes stat render says it hurts the performance a lot but its not actually reflected in the fps.

For the one area that I have done so far I have combined 800 or so static meshes into just 5 (one for each building facade). I just did some tests and removing just the decolayer (same view as the screenshots in my previous post) resulted in a gain of about 15-20 FPS! :eek: I would still like to fix the decolayer because it shouldn't be causing any FPS drop but I will definately remove it if I can't figure it out soon.

First error ive ever had with RO

It loooked like a great map but then it died on me :(

This is due to me screwing up the number of riflemen slots for the Russians. This will be fixed for Beta 2. Sorry. :eek:

Wrong. I'm surprised you don't know this, but look at these sources.

http://www.rt66.com/~korteng/SmallArms/pps43.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PPS43

From your sources, and any other ones I could dig up it says that the PPsh43 started production in 1942, my map takes place at the very start of 1942, in January during that first terrible winter. Please understand that the siege took place for nearly 900 days. Just because the weapon was made during the siege doesn't mean it was avaliable at the beginning of it.

My clanmates call it "Lag-o-grad"

Its great, detailed and everything, but please its WAY too laggy.

If you go back and read my previous posts you'll know that it is being worked on and is making good progress. Please be patient until Beta 2 is out the door. :)

Upvote 0
I had the chance to play it this weekend Dr Guppy... my first impressions were 'damn this thing is a maze!' and then once outside 'wow looks great, but choppy'.

I understand the choppiness is because its the first Beta, and you are working to smooth it out... the feeling of being in a maze will change once we've all played it a hundred times or so.

It's very cool so far. I'll keep playing it and give feedback as time goes forward. Thanks for the effort spent on this, it will be an awesome map in no time I'm sure
thumbsup9hv.gif

Upvote 0
I see very few maps like this - and for very good reason because they are such a massive undertaking - sometimes when you are making a level on this scale the playability of the map can fade into the background whilst you're obsession with creating a beautiful world takes over - you're constantly struggling with the visual elements of the level - trying to balance what you originally planned with what is actually possible - it's a tormenting experience when you have to make compromises - but an absolutely necessary one.

My advice is to walk away from the level for a week and return - I speak from experience here since I chopped out at least two weeks work from a current level I'm working on in about 4 seconds flat because it presented a problem with gameplay

Lruce

Upvote 0
Following on some great advice ^, Less is more. Do not sacrifice gameplay and performance for eye candy on an 'epic' type level. You will certainly take heat for scant details here and there but if the gameplay is intense and the overall atmosphere of lighting, efx, and general feeling of impending doom, no one gives a crap about plates, glasses, pictures on the wall etc. If you want to do the uber-detailed map, stick to smaller more managable maps where you have greater control over line of sight.

This is a worthy undertaking but realize the limitations of the engine. People remember maps like weddings...for two things: Weddings = food and open bar; Maps = gameplay and teamwork. Yeah the bride might be hot or a dog but it's the party you talk about years later. ;)

Upvote 0