• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Leveling with bots should be forbidden !

Goten

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
I just went on a server to check something. 4 people on Axis and 2 bots vs 6 bots on Russians. The bots seemed more stupid than usual (do they have "stupidity" levels that can be changed ?).

Anyway the idea was that the Axis guys just leveled without a care in the world, playing pistols even.

It's not the first server I see this behaviour: 10 people on one side killing stupid bots on the other side. Usually happens on Firefights where you can really level your weapons quickly.

I don't think it's fair. If you have bots on your server go unranked OR if your bots "pop out" because the number of the human players droped, it should be an announce at the beggining of the round informing you that the round will not add to stats because bots are present.

Please consider this, it's kind of demoralizing ... I level on 50-60 (human) player servers and others are shooting stupid bots.

Last edited:
Ok guys ... I'm not a big fan of the leveling stuff myself, but if it's here (we like it or not) it should be done properly.

Please don't transform this thread into: "there should be no leveling". It is, we should improve it at least.

Another example (don't know what server). Again, I just entered to try something, I didn't stayed the whole round ... feels like cheating.

Upvote 0
Whats the point in leveling in the first place? I could care less really since a mosin nagant is still the same at lvl 0 or lvl 99.

What??? Weapon and class leveling give you huge advantages. I don't agree with that being a game feature, but facts is facts. The problem is that clans that keep their servers populated and play all the damned time get leveled up, and everybody else ...

Reactions: Jason_Argo
Upvote 0
Imagine the SDK out ... imagine a map with a side caged in a little space with no weapons or no ammo , his members are bots in dumb mode ... the other side are humans ... easy leveling ... and this will happen or something similar , happened in Killing Floor , DOD:S , TF:2 , CS:Source , Breach ... and probably in COD and simialr games

If you play with bots in a proper way maybe lvl with bots could be ok , but with a dumb AI and tricky maps ...

Upvote 0
@Stahlhelmii
I'm from Europe and I have at least 20-30 servers with good/decent pings (< 100). Player count is somewhere between 20 to 64 players.
Maybe you are from some place with few servers ? Or you play at night on other continents ? :p

Anyway lack of servers should not be an excuse, at least you get to level on the majority of the servers, not just TWIs ... that would sucked. The thing is TWI promised (among others) they will keep an eye on stuff that could affect leveling on public servers. I hope they see this and do something about it.

@Justin MacDuro
Yeah, good and ... horrific idea. A map where you can just shoot bots on spawn or something :(

This gives birth to another idea: Leveling should be done on maps aproved by TWI !

Upvote 0
Boosting is unavoidable. The other day, I tried joining a vacant server with a friend so we could snipe each other, and a couple of other players immediately joined in and asked if we were interested in boosting. If there's a ranking system, there will be people that will try and take advantage of it.

Reactions: Nylle
Upvote 0
um no, whats unfair is twi erasing the stats of honest players to make others happy and the stats still don't work correctly. twi has also made the requirements for some items ridiculously high and no one wants to grind again to get simple things or stuff they already had before the reset. if people want to bot farm let them it has no effect on you or anyone else. we also don't have to have twi blessing to play how we want they already have too much say like other company's on how servers are run. like many say the whole unlock reward system should be scraped and go back to the old ro1 style.:eek:

I just went on a server to check something. 4 people on Axis and 2 bots vs 6 bots on Russians. The bots seemed more stupid than usual (do they have "stupidity" levels that can be changed ?).

Anyway the idea was that the Axis guys just leveled without a care in the world, playing pistols even.

It's not the first server I see this behaviour: 10 people on one side killing stupid bots on the other side. Usually happens on Firefights where you can really level your weapons quickly.

I don't think it's fair. If you have bots on your server go unranked OR if you bots "pop out" because the human player droped, it should be an announce at the beggining of the round informing you that the round will not add to stats because bots are present.

Please consider this, it's kind of demoralizing ... I level on 50-60 (human) player servers and others are shooting stupid bots.

Upvote 0
Ok guys ... I'm not a big fan of the leveling stuff myself, but if it's here (we like it or not) it should be done properly.

Please don't transform this thread into: "there should be no leveling". It is, we should improve it at least.

Another example (don't know what server). Again, I just entered to try something, I didn't stayed the whole round ... feels like cheating.

Aw man, I need the IP! I can only ever find them with 5v5 bots :p.

But yes, it is kind of an easy way around the rank system. I thought to get a ranked server you had to apply for it, so maybe TW can remove owners from the ranked list if they run full bot servers? I've seen at least one go to unranked recently, but I don't know if it was TW's doing or the server owner's. I also brought up boosting a little over a week ago in another topic, but I don't know if PUTZ saw that post.

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?p=935615#post935615http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?p=935615#post935615

I understand why bots will ruin the rank system, but at the same time it might be best that they continue to give out points. I think they may need to stay the way they are due to the difficulty of populating some servers without them. A new server getting low traffic will die without bots because there wont be anything to do; and if bots are "unranked" there wont be any reason to stick around when it's devoid of humans.

Bots are definitely bad for the rank system in large numbers, but I think they could be ok if they were limited.

Upvote 0
Its a personal choice they made and I don't see how it affects other players. Whether someone got to level 50 by killing human players or bots doesn't matter and you have no way of knowing.

The issue with saying bots don't count is some servers will run 20 or so bots to keep the game interesting while there are low player counts. What happens then when the round starts with 38 human players and 2 bots (assuming 20 bots per team)? That round no one will get in experience points.

Reactions: Nylle
Upvote 0
As a proud owner of a legit lvl 50 weapon I can easily say that bonuses are very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very minimal, so dont worry about them leveling them up.

Upvote 0
Why should it be forbidden ? it just would make the game less appealing bots are awesome i like bots always have done and not many games you can rank up from them and lets not forget their is much space for TWI to improve them then you could be the one getting owned by the bots that i would like to see.

Upvote 0
I believe it partly depends on the admins too. We have bots on our server too, but game play is set to Hero which makes the bots a little bit harder to kill. Even so do we kick people if they are obviously only there to rank up there level. The number of bots are 10vs10. But if we see that there are several real players online and they all stay at one side, then we ask politely to ballance the number of real players between axis and allies. If they refuce, then we either restart the map with bots removed or we kick them. Even if it's a clan member.

Upvote 0