• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Battlefield 3

How does this stack up against previous server rental schemes, or schemes by different companies?

It sounds terrible on paper but without the actual dollar amount being listed it's hard to have a metric.

Still, phrases like "This is due to a unique requirement of BF3 that does not relate to the resource requirements of the game" leave me cold. Translation: We must charge extra than we used to because BF3 has higher expectations that don't relate to the resource requirements of the game.

Upvote 0
One thing I did like was how lethal all of the guns were, its just that some weapons were OP but then I read this:
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/10/10/the-beta-and-battlefield-3/

There are major gameplay balance differences between the two. Weapons feel different, with different fire rates and recoil. And the damage model has been radically shifted. Death comes quickly in the beta, situated more towards Call of Duty's durability, or even last year's DICE-developed Medal of Honor multiplayer. Firefights in the beta prioritize reflexes over tactics, which is a departure from Bad Company 2.

This is not the case with Battlefield 3 as it is now. The version of Battlefield 3 that I spent hours playing last week has weapons and damage that feel like Battlefield Bad Company 2. This, if you aren't sure, is a good thing. It changes the dynamics of firefights, allowing for each side to take and hold positions, and making flanking and tactical coordination much more viable. The increased player survivability also make vehicles in Battlefield 3 more fair than they would be with the beta's damage models.
U Y DO THIS DICE?

Okay there was some dumb stuff with the SMGS, Shottys and the F2000 but every used cover and on average BF3 guy did not run around like Rambo but their making it like BC2 now? Oh dear god, why dont you want me to buy your game EA?

Upvote 0
BTW it's been confirmed that BF3 will not ship with VOIP ... no word on whether the game will have it at all yet.

Major fail ... what is this, 2012? Get with the program guys.

Now I know I'm representing a minority here, but I rarely ever use in game VoIP. I simply prefer external programs for that, like mumble or teamspeak, because that instantly gets rid of random people talking, yelling or cursing random and/or insulting stuff. In short: it gets rid of about 90 percent of the people who "use" in game VoIP...

That's why the first thing I do is usually mute the in game VoIP.

Thus, that missing feature makes BF3 actually more desirable for me.

Reactions: Apos
Upvote 0
Lol wow. Another reminder that this game has an unlimited operating budget. I wish more of it went into actually finishing the game prior to launch.

Today it was discovered that BF3 will also not ship with the commo rose that was promised a few months back. This, in addition to the lack of proper in-game VOIP (which promotes public play teamwork), tells me that DICE is scrambling like mad to get this game polished and released. It's clearly not going to ship in a finished state.

Upvote 0
"Public play teamwork"

Sorry, but this is an oxymoron for most any popular FPS out there, with or without VOIP.
Just because teamplay is rare doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Sure, 70% or more of servers I play on vanilla Battlefield 2 are just people running around aimlessly killing eachother, but once in a few servers you get in a squad that uses VOIP and it's a great experience.

Even given the typical way public servers tend to work doesn't excuse DICE leaving team-wide VOIP out of the game altogether. It's simply one of those basic things you expect out of a modern shooter these days.

Upvote 0
Just more journalist crap trying to stir up outrage by picking at the smallest of details.

Yeah some features might not make it to the final build but they will be implemented ASAP. Do you think DICE/EA want to deliberately ruin their game?

Sounds like their top priority is releasing the game as polished as they can.

Sucks about the lack of ingame VOIP - though I am fortunate to play with a bunch of gamers who will be playing BF3 I can work around this by using Mumble.

Being placed in a random squad and not having the option for voice chat really sucks though and I can sympathize with the critics here. DICE should work hard on getting this feature in their game.

GameSpy: We've heard there's going to be a command rose at launch for PC. Is that still going to be ready for launch? What sort of functionality might it include?
Lars: It is on our list for trying to get in there at launch. It is the usual things that you can really miss on the battlefield. Bail out is a typical one; you're sitting in a helicopter and you realize that you want to attack the flag, and there's no way to tell you're buddy that you're going to bail out.​

Sounds to me like they want this feature ready for when the game ships. I think its pretty fundamental especially when there is no in game VOIP. At least some level of basic communication for a game of this scale.

If these features do not make launch, I am confident they will be patched in sooner rather than later.

You have to appreciate this is a large scale game with a complex engine. No game like this is ever released completely finished. If the game works, with fewer bugs and is well optimized - which going by the sounds of it is what DICE/EA want from this launch. The missing features will be added on top over the weeks after launch. Rather than just chucking every single broken feature into the mix and spending months fire-fighting, a bit like what Tripwire is doing with RO2.

Upvote 0
"Public play teamwork"

Sorry, but this is an oxymoron for most any popular FPS out there, with or without VOIP.
VOIP doesn't guarantee teamwork on pubs, but it's the only way to get some going at all.

I know in RO teamwork never happened unless someone stepped up and started using his mic to coordinate people, who would then use their mics as well.

Upvote 0
VOIP doesn't guarantee teamwork on pubs, but it's the only way to get some going at all.

I know in RO teamwork never happened unless someone stepped up and started using his mic to coordinate people, who would then use their mics as well.

To be honest, I hated the Team VOIP in RO1. There's nothing more annoying than having a guy in a "YOU'VE GOTTA LISTEN TO ME GUYZ" attitude shouting orders in the teamchat. I always muted those people.

Teamchat is just too general to achieve anything. Squad chat is the way to go in every fast-paced FPS.

Upvote 0
I agree in those ridiculous 64+ player matches games have to offer now for some reason, because I guess players don't want anyone to count for **** now, because god forbid, some newbie might ruin someone's game... but in good old, ordered max 16vs16 (8vs8 like in Counterstrike, maybe even less like a 4vs4 in CTF games like in UT2004) team chat works just fine.
And even in big matches it's better than nothing.
I like people with that attitude, because that's what gets the game going and elevates it from being little more than team-deathmatch.

Just my opinion, of course.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dumba [cro]
Upvote 0
Since this is mainly about Battlefield, isn't 64 player MP kind of a defining feature, ever since the original game in 2002?
Team wide VOIP on a full server would be detrimental to the experience IMO, but I won't argue against it being an option. Like rattus, I pretty much always disable ingame voice chat, doesn't mean others should be deprived of the option ofc.
Strongly disagree with this part. It's not the only way (I believe there's no one single way at all), and it's not even the main one. Gameplay mechanics promoting teamwork take that spot. Even subtle ones like piling onto a cap zone in good ol' RO (ROMOD, to be clear), or basic attack/defend objectives.
BF3 features some of the most blunt and obvious examples of this. Supplying hp and ammo, revives, squad and mobile spawns, spotting, repairs, minimap icons, additional weapon systems for passengers... someone who manages to ignore all these aspects can suddenly be coerced into being a teamplayer thanks to VOIP? I find that notion ridiculous.

Guess that disagreement stems from presuming different levels of teamplay. Some advanced coordination requires more than basic communication methods ofc, but basic teamwork (like not running off in all kinds of different directions) is best driven by fundamental mechanics.

Upvote 0