• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Character shouting in game, please let us have the option to make our character mute?

My personal view of sneaking in RO, is to setup an ambush point against the enemy, to cause as much disarray as possible while allowing your guys to move forward to cap an objective.

This is how it should be done, though in a realistic online setting, its just so that kids can gather more kills and wave their e-penis' about.

Either way, shouting things like "Reloading", "Enemy down" or "I'm hit!" are essential to know, this tells you if you're under fire from a location, if your teammate is vulnerable or if the enemy are taking losses, even with grenades, im sure if you heard "GRENADE OUT!" you wouldn't run directly toward the location of the enemy....

Let me rephrase that...

Of course you would, infact catch the grenade, catch it with your teeth.

Last edited:
Reactions: AntoxaGray
Upvote 0
If I'm flanking with a friend to try and get that pesky MG/Sniper and decide to reload my gun before going into the hardpoint to clear it out saying "reloading" is going to give my foes a warning I shouldn't be obliged to give potentially getting me killed.

One of you could reload while the other moves position? You'll die, but your friend will get a good chance to take that target out while they're looking for you :D

Upvote 0
This Isnt Call of Duty, its about teamwork, not going solo.

In all my time playing RO/Darkest hour this is a tactic I made great use out of.

When you have team mates fighting along a line with enemies, and you go a long way out, prone and slowly make your way around a flank and come up behind thier line it can be invaluable to helping win a match. As someone that liked playing the sniper/mg role doing this was priceless, having a whole line of enemies lined up, setting up your mg/sniper position behind itheir line and then popping off a good 5-6 guys and watching your friends push that line in and roll it up IS teamwork.

Upvote 0
One of you could reload while the other moves position? You'll die, but your friend will get a good chance to take that target out while they're looking for you :D

True although I prefer the option of that speech toggle button AND the option to waltz over to an enemy position singing its a long way to Tipperary just like in that Great Escape game.

THE IS3 DEMANDS IT!

:IS2::IS2::IS2:

Upvote 0
In all my time playing RO/Darkest hour this is a tactic I made great use out of.

When you have team mates fighting along a line with enemies, and you go a long way out, prone and slowly make your way around a flank and come up behind thier line it can be invaluable to helping win a match. As someone that liked playing the sniper/mg role doing this was priceless, having a whole line of enemies lined up, setting up your mg/sniper position behind itheir line and then popping off a good 5-6 guys and watching your friends push that line in and roll it up IS teamwork.

This!

Upvote 0
Thinking from the point of view of realism... this seems like a tricky one. If a soldier was with allies, sneaking up on a sniper spot, and he decided to reload - he would NOT shout about that fact :) Problem is though, he probably wouldn't be randomly reloading while sneaking - because that isn't exactly silent either :)

I think I see why TWI went with leaving the vocals in :) Unless you're mid-firefight, you really should be choosing reload times carefully. The fact that you also need to conserve ammo feeds into this too - it's nice to be full-clip ready for surprises, but maybe not at the cost of leaving yourself with a partly-full clip, or simply wasting ammo (can't remember how that's working?).

Reactions: Etienne.S
Upvote 0
The problem is that it's not only while reloading. I've heard people yell "I'm scared" just randomly.
And even though TWI said that it'll work only when there are allies nearby, it still remains unknown what does "nearby" means, and how many allies should be there.
If I'll be flanking with even 2 or 3 of my friends and we'd want to be silent, is there a way to make sure no-one yells something stupid?

I do see a problem with the "Silent" button though, as everyone will be just pressing it after spawn. There needs to be another way...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is exactly what I was thinking while watching the latest gameplay video.

Sure it makes sense to shout some things when you are in the middle of a ****storm.

But some of this stuff should be left out or left to quick comm buttons.

I mean seriously, do we REALLY need the soldier talking to himself whenever he runs out of stamina "I've got to slow down, I can't take much more of this"....Is the target market for this game so stupid they don't know when they are tired? (Let's not mention the comedic english/german voices make this game look like a half hearted shoot em up)

As far as going solo, this is something I do a lot, especially since I'm often an MGer and need to get my MG on the flanks in order to fire into the center of the map. It would be completely frustrating if I were sneaking around and just so happened to have a friendly within x meters with the same idea and my soldier blurts out "I'M SO TIRED!" after I just sprinted across a field...

I get it, you want to make the battlefield sound alive, but from what we've seen, this isn't satisfactory. Maybe depending on the amount of gun fire the players will auto adjust voice communications. If you are sneaking with a friend, any auto voices will be whispers...in battle they will be yelling.

Meh...I don't know, from the videos I've seen this is one of the few turnoffs.

Upvote 0
The problem is that it's not only while reloading. I've heard people yell "I'm scared" just randomly.
And even though TWI said that it'll work only when there are allies nearby, it still remains unknown what does "nearby" means, and how many allies should be there.
If I'll be flanking with even 2 or 3 of my friends and we'd want to be silent, is there a way to make sure no-one yells something stupid?

I do see a problem with the "Silent" button though, as everyone will be just pressing it after spawn. There needs to be another way...

Another way is to have them yell only when the player or any of the allies nearby is engaging enemy or is under direct fire. Though, this might be difficult to implement.

Upvote 0
To also ask, and not start a new thread - in regards to the shouting, will there be an option so that they will shout and call out in their native tongues, rather than English with an accent? I just prefer it that way, more immersive. :)
This is basically the question I registered to ask, after seeing some gameplay footage. While it's certainly not gamebreaking, having the silly accented English would definitely be a minus for me.

Upvote 0
Apart from the issue of not being able to sneak if a friendly is nearbly (will happen plenty with 64 people on I'm sure), it will also get damned annoying to be talking to yourself all the time!

I get the idea that they want to make the battlefield seem more alive like DiedTrying said but there has to be a better way.

Upvote 0