• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Character Customisation (YES/NO) - The Definitive Thread

Character Customisation (YES/NO) - The Definitive Thread

• Total voters
The main thing with customization in regards to different ranks that irks me is that I don't want to see after a few months most people running around with officer skins because they have leveled up. That would just suck. Leveling up really should just be removed from the game all together, but I highly doubt TWI will do that.

Wouldn't the officer skins be limited to Commanders? Also, the NCO skins to Squad Leaders and each class having its own unique skin?

Upvote 0
At the end of the day, it might sound simplistic, but every decision in our lives is customised to our taste, for example, when we get up in the mourning, we customise what we are going to wear that day, we dont have a set outfit where we cant swap the socks or change the t-shirt, we also chose our combination of foods and drinks. Its fare to say in this sense, that soldiers during any conflict in the world have customised to some extent their apparrel and gear, maybe they adapt their uniform for the terrain, or for the enviroment, or maybe just for personal preference, or lastly for technical advantage i.e speed, manuovreability.

It is in this respect that I think customisation is the way ahead for gaming, in my opinion it always has been. Its the same as Linear / scripted games vs Freeroam/unscripted games, sure there are great linear games, but I always fall back on free roam titles and the multiplayer aspect of games, for the sheer variety, not knowing what to expect, diversity.

I mean for example, games such as Unreal, Doom, Halflife are old titles, steming as far back as the late 90's, they didnt have customisation and yet a game from 2011, where graphics are very close to a decent representation of real life, such as Ro:HoS, dosent have the simple ability of choice for players, (Dont forget classes are pre-determined). I hate to mention titles such as these, but Call of Duty MW, Black ops, Medal of Honor e.t.c all have customisation, they want the most sales possible and they have catered to some extent for what players want - customisation.

Please voice your opinions.

Thanks
Sturm

Reactions: jalex3 and u-s-e-r
Upvote 0
id have to say yes too, but only if the teams uniform colors stay pretty much the same, would be hard to spot a friendly from an enemy far away if the colors would match
German and Soviet uniforms are so different, it would be impossible to mix them up. Colors and shapes are completely different in every way (except for jackboots).

I already voted yes for this.

Edit: In the OP, there are a few things wrong with the German customization ideas.

1.) There was no splinter smock around Stalingrad in that time period.
2.) Officers didn't really have any variation in tunic, as they wore the same 6-button field-grey collar tunic until the late-war period.
3.) Cross-straps were also eliminated by this time period.
4.) As far as I know, chicken wire was not around Stalingrad at this time, either. I'm not saying it was not there, but I just have not seen any photographic evidence proving so.
5.) The first cap has no branch of service identifier so it would not exist.
6.) As for the second cap, there has never been any camouflaged German head-dress of any kind, so this is also a farby item that would not exist.
7.) The third cap is a panzer-crewman cap, and it has no national eagle and pink branch of service identifier. Panzer-crewman had no variation in uniforms at this time, either, and no infantry would be wearing a black field cap.
8.) The fourth cap, the M43, was not around Stalingrad.
9.) The last cap is an SS cap, but I do agree that these should be interchangeable. Officers should be able to have a choice of wearing their visor cap, field cap, or helmet.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
:rolleyes:
1.) There was no splinter smock around Stalingrad in that time period.

I'm not quite sure about the smock, but the Heer Splinter Pattern had been around since the WWI. If I remember correctly from an Osprey Publishing book on German camo that I borrowed from a friend, the Heer Splinter pattern helmet cover was actually used in WWI.
captureaea.png

Wire Mesh/Chicken Wire
captureumu.png

mouse-gray-cover.jpg

During the Second World War the German Armed Forces (Wehrmacht) as well as the Armed-SS (Waffen-SS) produced a variety of cloth helmet covers designed to aid in concealment. The application of cloth or burlap helmet covers for the sake of camouflage was a practice that began during World War I. Helmet covers made for the Wehrmacht and Waffen-SS were produced for all seasons and many were made to be reversible. The first helmet covers produced for military units of the Third Reich were those manufactured by the Waffen-SS. Using a number of cloth SS camouflage patterns, helmet covers were introduced as early as 1937. A patent submitted in the name of the Reichsf

Last edited:
Upvote 0
:rolleyes:

I'm not quite sure about the smock, but the Heer Splinter Pattern had been around since the WWI. If I remember correctly from an Osprey Publishing book on German camo that I borrowed from a friend, the Heer Splinter pattern helmet cover was actually used in WWI.

Wire Mesh/Chicken Wire

Source:
[url]http://www.german-helmets.com/Camouflage%20Helmet%20Covers.htm[/URL]
I've never seen any splinter smocks in any Stalingrad photos. They did exist then, but most of the winter-wear in the city were parkas in white and grey. I never denied the splintertarn helmet covers, as it is obviously apparent those were around then.

Chicken wire may have been around, but do you have any photographs of them in use at Stalingrad?

Upvote 0
Chicken wire may have been around, but do you have any photographs of them in use at Stalingrad?

Chicken wire/wire mesh didn't become used and recorded until around the D-Day landings, were that stuff would have been readily accessible to Heer troops.

The only images I have seen from in or around Stalingrad and Sevastopol were burlap bags or cloth added to the helmet as a cover.
capturegdg.png

capturechc.png

SOURCE:
http://ww2db.com/image.php?image_id=12131

small-army.jpg

During the Second World War the German Armed Forces (Wehrmacht) produced a variety of cloth helmet covers designed to aid in concealment. The application of cloth or burlap helmet covers for the sake of camouflage was a practice that began during World War I. Helmet covers made for the Wehrmacht. In 1942 a general issue helmet cover (Stahlhelm

Last edited:
Upvote 0