• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics A question from a noob - Mountain Pass

SilusCrow

FNG / Fresh Meat
Dec 31, 2010
Ok, just got finished playing a multiplayer session, and I encountered a bit of an issue:

Level: Mountain Pass
Players: 5/6
Difficulty: Normal

Issue: I suggested we gear up at the trader and hole up at the rest stop, which had the side door welded shut, providing a nice little killing zone/bottleneck for the group, should they get into the rest stop and face the double doors. Instead, they opted to run around the level like a chicken with it's head cut off.

Who was in the right? Myself, who opted for a killing field and bottleneck, while not really giving us an escape route (but allowing us to level our firepower against the baddies as a group as opposed to scattered individuals, or them, who opted for a more mobile approach, while splitting the party/group in doing so?

Reactions: Benjamin
Umm.... our suicidal team (before HoE is added) gave up on wave 9. We spend nearly 2 hour, but we still gave up... (no achievement back then) and vote for an other map, LOL.

Where we hold was the free way where zeds will jump all the way down from the hill. We dont really need to move. This map is just... well, never mind...

Upvote 0
Now I agree with a mobile approach for most maps, but with this group (was probably just a bad group) about 1-2 of the 5 would head off on their own and go all gung-ho and one-man-army.

Holding up in the rest stop bathroom works just fine for me in Solo (on beginner, admittedly. Trying to level the shotgun damage for Support), so I figured five guys armed to the teeth with a clear lane of fire (and next to a trader) would be able to hold out for a few waves while expending less ammo than if they were running around all loose and spread out.

It was, I think, two commandos, a medic, a pyro and myself as a support.

Upvote 0
I think this map lends it self to a more mobile approach, the only problem I've seen with this is when you have players that get tunnel vision buy aiming down the road and get slammed from the sides because they were not paying attention. Covering them is not always an option as you are having to deal with threats yourself.

I don't mind the lockdown approach, alot of players get bored with that and go for a wonder (often out of the medics line of sight then moan when they don't get healed. :rolleyes:)

Upvote 0
Mountain pass is the easiest stoke map imo for two reasons.

1) It's broad daylight

2) It's wide open

If you just camp by the trader, I think you're not only missing out on what makes the map unique, but you're also making thing more difficult for yourself. Because, if you can kill the zed 50 yards before they even get to you and run away in just about any direction, well it really does make the game a little easier.

But you really shouldn't split up in groups smaller than three because taking down a fleshpound with one or two people can be difficult to say the least. Unless maybe if you are a berserker you might not strictly stick with the team at all times. But if there is another berserker, I think you're deffinetly better off together.

Sometimes on mountain pass I kind off go off on my own as berserker, sometimes I just protect the team from being flanked.

Upvote 0
on HoE my team camped by the middle trader on the road. We had 2 sharps watching left, 2 on the right as well, and a commando and medic watching for the guys falling off the cliff. worked perfectly for us. plenty of space to headshot the big guys, and when the fps did come from the cliff, our medic body blocked. the only incident where we got hurt was from the occasional husk shot.

Reactions: CopperHead
Upvote 0
I've never had a Mountain Pass game go well by staying inside any of the structures. With long, clear sightlines and room to move, fighting in the open usually works best.

That being said, I do occasionally take cover inside the buildings, depending on perk/wave. I find it amusing that a closed (but not welded) door will stop fireballs or the Patriarch's rocket and I'll sometimes hide while reloading or waiting for a Sharpshooter to take down a pesky husk.

Upvote 0
on HoE my team camped by the middle trader on the road. We had 2 sharps watching left, 2 on the right as well, and a commando and medic watching for the guys falling off the cliff. worked perfectly for us. plenty of space to headshot the big guys, and when the fps did come from the cliff, our medic body blocked. the only incident where we got hurt was from the occasional husk shot.

A tactic close to that is in my experience usually the best on this map. Either camp there, or stick together and keep moving in circles around the mountain :)

Upvote 0
Neither, it depends on you and your teammates.

I've completed the map with a full support team holing up at each trader area, all trader areas except the one in the forest has some sort of place to hole up where you can direct the wave in one direction provided you keep the doors welded.

I've also completed the map with a full zerk team roaming around.

and done the same tactic as[1BF/1R]Terror.

Upvote 0
Hope this helps. We just beat HoE mountainpass with a moving caravan of 4 zerkers, 1 sharpshooter, and 1 commando.

The Sharpshooter kept all of the sirens and husks at bay, the commando took out the trash while the two zerkers scouted ahead.

Two remaining zerkers cleared out the trash in the back w/ the assistance of the mando and Sharpshooter.

The Commando and Sharp lent their assistance to the scouts ahead and also the rear depending on the situation.

For FPs, we had two zerkers separately working on them simultaneously while the rest of the classes cleared the trash and took point.

Voice communication is a necessity if you are playing with others.

We kept a really tight formation (like a buncha r.tarded seagulls) and it worked well.

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0
Mountain Pass is extremely boring and easy, there are no real threats unless you purposely pick a bad spot. Besides, there hasn't been a single time where I've played this map only to have all 6 players run off in different directions and do their own thing.

Honestly if you wanted to just beat the map for the achievement, staying together in the streets at any point would work perfectly fine. Staying in a rest stop isn't so great because the big zeds might not fall fast enough, and you couldn't get a clear shot at husks in the distance without a crossbow to cut through trash. Firebugs wouldn't deal a lot of DoT at such a close range, and demos would hurt themselves even if they could get a clear firing line.

tl;dr
The best tactic for it is to vote for another map

Upvote 0
If you really want to camp, then from the rest stop, go right until you reach the side of the road with a guardrail. From here you can see down the road, back up the path, over the bridge. and pretty much anywhere.

The specimens sometimes come from over the rail to the right, but that's not much of an issue. They mainly come from the front.

Upvote 0
Trader in the middle of a road. 3 guys on left side, 3 - on the right. If not staying too close to the middle, then only a very few zeds will falling from the cliff, most of them will coming from sides. But not so far to see each other. 2 sharps + 1 commando from both side. All sharps do xbows, M14 is useless on this map. 2 sharps (1 on each side) takes medic gun as secondary weapon to be able to heal teammates on the opposite side.
To save money this 2 guys should play first couple of waves as medics to get cheap (or at LVL5-6 free) armor and medic guns. When money will be enough to buy xbow, change perk to sharpshooter.
Using this strategy our suicidal team survived all 10 waves (PAT kills us then :() with only one sharpshooter and one commando had LVL6 perks, others: 4-5.

Upvote 0
Trader in the middle of a road. 3 guys on left side, 3 - on the right. If not staying too close to the middle, then only a very few zeds will falling from the cliff, most of them will coming from sides. But not so far to see each other. 2 sharps + 1 commando from both side. All sharps do xbows, M14 is useless on this map. 2 sharps (1 on each side) takes medic gun as secondary weapon to be able to heal teammates on the opposite side.
To save money this 2 guys should play first couple of waves as medics to get cheap (or at LVL5-6 free) armor and medic guns. When money will be enough to buy xbow, change perk to sharpshooter.
Using this strategy our suicidal team survived all 10 waves (PAT kills us then :() with only one sharpshooter and one commando had LVL6 perks, others: 4-5.

Why not spawn as sharpshooter then...?

Upvote 0
Umm.... our suicidal team (before HoE is added) gave up on wave 9. We spend nearly 2 hour, but we still gave up... (no achievement back then) and vote for an other map, LOL.

Where we hold was the free way where zeds will jump all the way down from the hill. We dont really need to move. This map is just... well, never mind...

I'll say it. This map is ****ing boring. Wide open, long lines of sight, plenty of room to move. The only challenge on this map is if you hold up in a bad area (Woods, Tunnels) or have a terrible team. This map is my least favorite in the game for the same reasons as Farm...namely because it lasts at least twice as long as every other map while being nowhere near as hard. This map gets me to almost instantly leave a server of Mapvote and from the amount of "Ugh, not this one!" I see when the server picks this map, I know I'm not alone.

Hard to say really, but I personally would have gone for the mobility. There is a lot of open space that can save you if you are in a pinch. Probably a bit more fun than just sitting blasting away at some bottelneck area too.

No real correct answer, depends on the players.

Can't go wrong with open space, but it depends on perks and setup. With all Commandos/Sharpshooters, there's no need to go to a choke. Meanwhile with Berserkers and Firebugs, you might want to.

Upvote 0
I'll say it. This map is ****ing boring. Wide open, long lines of sight, plenty of room to move. The only challenge on this map is if you hold up in a bad area (Woods, Tunnels) or have a terrible team. This map is my least favorite in the game for the same reasons as Farm...namely because it lasts at least twice as long as every other map while being nowhere near as hard. This map gets me to almost instantly leave a server of Mapvote and from the amount of "Ugh, not this one!" I see when the server picks this map, I know I'm not alone.

The real threat is fleshpounds. Because most of the time when you spot him, he is already raging. However, everyone can hear him when he rage, so everyone (ALL 6 PLAYERS) can focus fire on him. So he dies in seconds. While on other maps you need to constanly due with other zeds (including farm cos you cannot spot zeds from really far).

That's why even half of my friends in that server are new to the game, we still make it that far.

Upvote 0