• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What in HOS are you most worried about?

Like it or not, "spam" is the main point of support weapons like the LMG and cornerstone of fire and maneuver tactics, not just marksmanship. I remember this BS accusation of "spam" when I played AA 2.xx, where I was kicked from servers for using the M249 in the manner advised by the in-game training. :rolleyes:

Yes, but the question is, if you need a suppression system to be able to spam? You don't!
Afaik suppression was meant to address the issue with riflemen being able to pop up shoot mg's for example. That problem is caused by the fairly poor accuracy of the mg's, lack of penetration and the fact that you can get shot by enemies only showing the tip of their helmet/hat.

Especially as rifleman you can be totally screwed with DH type of suppression. You aim at some dude, you are perfectly on target, you click left mouse but in the exact same moment the guy you are about to shoot tries to shoot you, but misses horribly by a meter(!). Of course that throws your whole aim off. Great feature :rolleyes:

Edit: To get a natural suppression effect affecting your own mind, instead of just gimping your in-game avatar, the only thing needed is to remove the players ability to become almost unhitable. Slower crouch to stand, weapon bobbing during crouch to stand, synced 1st and 3rd person view height etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My experience at the play test, was that the suppression system works very well. Obviously this is a game, so it is never going to be reality. But getting near arty or going near a window being sprayed with bullets had a building effect of suppression, you could be near it for a bit, but very quickly you start to lose focus in your field of view, and your heart beat -- and aim, starts to get off. You could face down an MG for a second or two, but you start to lose it after that.

According to the devs, the effect takes longer the more experienced you are, shich makes sense -- if I've been fighting on the front for several years, it might not bother me as much.

I took the suppression system, which does not stop you from moving, as a good warning sign of danger; and found another way to go. I think it is a great effect it gets that moment of fear in you as it builds, and that was the idea.

--TWB*MorganEarp

Last edited:
Reactions: Nicholas
Upvote 0
I ain't worried 'bout nothin no more.
I must admit I feel the same way after listening to half of the podcast (I had to leave for work, so I missed the second half, and now it's "private"... oh well, I'll just wait for the edited version with its extra coat of sugar to make it go down even more smoothly.).

Well, maybe I still have one concern.... the melee system ;)

Still eagerly awaiting info on that one... I mean... c'mon, bayonets: what's not to like?

And while we're at it (on topic with regards to the thread's title), I might as well say I'm very curious to see how the whole injury system is going to be implemented... i.e. how your avatar reacts when injured (shot/stabbed/etc.). In ROost it was somewhat nice with the limping and all, but I felt it was insufficient when it came to reducing your accuracy immediately after being shot: if it were not for the screams of agony, one could think his avatar was a pain-immune, imperturbable robot. To cut it short, I'll just say I'd like to see a stronger response from your avatar when being injured :)

Upvote 0
After last Crosshairs I'm generally settle, but one thing comes to my mind.

For the CoD and MoH players of the crowd, unless you are just diametrically opposed to World War II based shooters, this game is great. Spawn issues, not here. You can choose to spawn on your squad leader, but if he is under fire, you will spawn safely near him, but not in the action. You can also choose from other spawn points that may bring you into the action from a direction needed. One caveat in the Fire Fight mode (sort of a team death match), you tend to spawn right at the action to keep the fight going, I did get a quick spawn/die, as I spawned in an open doorway, but I saved a comrade from being killed by Redeye, so I think of it as a wash. But it only happened once, so I take that as an anomaly, and a good one at that.
This. I dislike idea where player can respawn on or near squad leader. Mobile spawns may ruin typical for RO:O gameplay elements like keeping frontline secure, cutting new waves of troops from objectives by placing good artillery or keeping flag clear.
Now with mobile respawn it will look like in Battlefiled 2 where one guy (squad leader) hide close to flag and keep spawn alive. It might look odd, where SL will hide himself in one of the cellars on Danzig/Apartments and do nothing more.
I think newly respawned soldiers should start atleast 200 meters from squad leader or they cannot respawn too close to flag area so defender can shoot them on their way to SL. Also soldiers "popping out" from nowhere right in the middle of firefight are just arghhh... EA/DICE made that mistake, don't make it TWI too.

I might be wrong in my statement because I haven't seen how does it work, but such things are usually abused by players in many ways (e.g. Battlefiled series) and as I said before it could ruin RO:O spirit, original spawning idea and running to flag across enemy defenses lines.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

This. I dislike idea where player can respawn on or near squad leader. Mobile spawns may ruin typical for RO:O gameplay elements like keeping frontline secure, cutting new waves of troops from objectives by placing good artillery or keeping flag clear.
Now with mobile respawn it will look like in Battlefiled 2 where one guy (squad leader) hide close to flag and keep spawn alive. It might look odd, where SL will hide himself in one of the cellars on Danzig/Apartments and do nothing more.
I think newly respawned soldiers should start atleast 200 meters from squad leader or they cannot respawn too close to flag area so defender can shoot them on their way to SL. Also soldiers "popping out" from nowhere right in the middle of firefight are just arghhh... EA/DICE made that mistake, don't make it TWI too.

I might be wrong in my statement because I haven't seen how does it work, but such things are usually abused by players in many ways (e.g. Battlefiled series) and as I said before it could ruin RO:O spirit, original spawning idea and running to flag across enemy defenses lines.

Could not agree me. Was upset when I read this. I don't like this feature :(

Upvote 0
I like the spawn thingy, as it makes the game a little less focused on regular spawn exit tactics.

if you suspect there is an enemy SL in one of the cellars of apartments, why don't you just send out a few guys to take him out?

And don't let the enemy SL get behind your defensive line...

Probrem sorved.

Just the realism factor that gets me I guess. And hopefully the spawning on the SL is balanced.

Upvote 0

I also kinda worry about this. What's to stop the squad leader flanking all around the map and 'camp' next to or behind the enemy spawn, and send off unrealistic flanking attacks that way while the rest of his team is still battling for the first objective? I don't mind that in BFBC2 but in RO it might be really out of place. Perhaps it's better if players can spawn in buildings that are conquered rather than on the squad leader?

Upvote 0