• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What in HOS are you most worried about?

Every change in the game's mechanics apparently comes from real-world testing (i.e. increased run/sprint speed; weapon zoom and side-of-the-screen "indicators" to simulate real-life field of view; reduced upward kick on smgs; faster reload time on some weapons; more in-depth hit boxes where you can actually shoot different organs for a different effect, such as internal bleeding; morale system (not much info on that); adjustable sights and scopes, etc.)

As for "unrealistic" implements, such as the recon plane (which can't spot units it doesn't see, such as those hiding in a building) and friendly spotting system (apparently only works in your immediate area), they can all be turn off by a server admin and are turned off by default on the "realistic" server setting, iirc.

EDIT:
Awesome cat. Most appropriate response, and made me laugh as a bonus. +1

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There is a tread about what we are most of all looking forward to in HoS. In this one you should tell what in HoS you are most worried will make the game less pleasurable. Cause new features are scary.

I will begin.
I'm worried the zoom will destroy some of the immersion, something that for me is most attracting with Ost is how easy it is to almost dream away into it the same way you do when reading a good book.

Please continue, you are allowed to cheer each-other up.

Not anything in the game except for (at this point) the ability gains from leveling up.

Everything else looks ****ing beautiful.

Upvote 0
Only little thing I could be 'worried' about is that they did not adress the nadespamming.
I think one part of the problem came from the fact that "engagement range" in ROost was closer than it was in reality, due to the lack of weapon zoom (as weird as it sounds) that resulted in objects appearing 2x smaller than they would in real life. And grenades are short ranged weapons.

Another part of the problem was ROost's somewhat clunky movement mechanics, which oftentimes prevented you from gtfo asap when you needed too (especially as an MGer, or just generally when in ironsights).

That might dampen grenade spam, or so I hope, because grenade spam does itch me quite a lot too.

If it does not...

Upvote 0
I'm worried that it will be too realistic and not fun to play gameplay wise, like arma2. And ofc that it wont sell as much as it deserves.
Just have to wait and see.

Oh dont worry, and unfortunately for me, your wish will come true as it will not be nearly as realistic as it should be...Im sure it will still be fun thou.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Every change in the game's mechanics apparently comes from real-world testing (i.e. increased run/sprint speed; weapon zoom and side-of-the-screen "indicators" to simulate real-life field of view; reduced upward kick on smgs; faster reload time on some weapons; more in-depth hit boxes where you can actually shoot different organs for a different effect, such as internal bleeding; morale system (not much info on that); adjustable sights and scopes, etc.)

As for "unrealistic" implements, such as the recon plane (which can't spot units it doesn't see, such as those hiding in a building) and friendly spotting system (apparently only works in your immediate area), they can all be turn off by a server admin and are turned off by default on the "realistic" server setting, iirc.

Im sorry, but your view of realism is not acceptable, and doesn't go far enough.

Unrealistic includes;
Running to fast ( already fast in RO ), Not slowing down when moving through rough terrain ( slopes, ruins, stairs, etc ), Small Arms re-loading to fast ( already to fast in RO and needs to be slowed ), Weapon Switch to fast ( to fast in RO and needs to be slowed ),Weapon Zoom ( not needed, and keep FOV at 75 ).

MORE due to scope of RO;
Rare Weapons ( not needed in RO ), Bandaging ( done after game ), Destructable buildings ( only urban buildings should be destructable in game by a couple direct arty hits ), to many Ammo locations ( need only one per-side located at original spawn ), Ammo re-load ( re-load should take several seconds and not just one ), Call-In Arty ( done by commander only, and arrives 2-3 minutes later...not 10 seconds - or simply do away with call-in arty, and have random arty on certain maps ).

Im sure there are a couple more, but this will do.

If RO:HoS doesn't meet my expectations, it will just be like RO:Ost, but with better eye candy.

Upvote 0
I think JoMac is here to make friends.
Well, he's certainly on the right path... but in the opposite direction.
faceg.gif

Upvote 0
I'm worried that I will not only have to unduly bear the onslaught of "ZOOMG! I can't has crosshairs?!!!" but I will also have to listen to the annal retentive rantings of the "rivet counters". :mad: (misspelled purposely)

I, for one, plan to fire up a server and remove any asshat that interferes with my ability to enjoy the game because they are constanly obsessing with their own personal agendas and views of how the game should have been made. Bring it to the forums, not the servers.

There...I feel better already.

Floyd

Upvote 0
A lot of my concerns come from the things that BC2 has done wrong:

1) Stat tracking and ranking have ruined pretty much every other FPS by limiting the kind of server you can run. In Battlefield, for example, you're not allowed to have pistols-only servers because the ranking system requires everyone to be playing on the same battlefield for fairness: that means every server is exactly like the one before it, basically. Stats also attract aimbotters and cheaters.

2) Bailing from a tank. In BC2 it's done instantly, so if you see a rocket flying at you, you jump out and survive the explosion. Or if you see a sneaky person trying to plant C4 on your vehicle, you instantly jump out, kill him, and jump back in. Hopefully RO2 will have some sort of animation that plays when you enter and exit a vehicle to fix this problem.

3) Crosshair zoom. I think zoom should be used to indicate the accuracy of a weapon: a pistol or submachine gun should have almost no zoom (being intended for close quarters battle and all), while a battle rifle should have a reasonable amount. It would certainly encourage players to use their weapons at the appropriate ranges.

4) I hope melee attacks won't be instant kill. It's ridiculous to think that in real face-to-face combat, anyone would seriously consider knifing someone while they still had ammo in their weapons, but this is what happens in any game that makes melee a one-hit kill. CoD2 had it perfectly when it made melee attacks take off maybe half health: melee was a last resort attack, like it should be.

5) I don't really like the idea of Heroes being able to 'strike fear into enemies.' I'm not sure what exactly that will entail, but if it means that I get worse accuracy just by virtue of a Hero player being in the game, then that is not very cool.

6) Weapon switch should be a sensible length. Switching from rifle to pistol should be pretty fast (that's what it's for, after all!) but switching from pistol back to rifle should take longer, since it involves holstering the pistol etc.

7) A lot of newer games are releasing with very low FOV, but I assume this is because they're being ported from consoles. RO2 should be pretty good.

8) Hopefully we won't be able to fire during, or immediately after proning.

9) Lack of Australian servers!

Upvote 0
Hopefully tripwire gets the suppression system done right.
Even though any suppression messing up your aim is baaaaad, you can still fail even more like in DH, where your noob friendlies suppress you more than the enemy does.

The best suppression system is called penetration anyways and even rewards the better shooter, while suppression just rewards the better spammer.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The best suppression system is called penetration anyways and even rewards the better shooter, while suppression just rewards the better spammer.

Like it or not, "spam" is the main point of support weapons like the LMG and cornerstone of fire and maneuver tactics, not just marksmanship. I remember this BS accusation of "spam" when I played AA 2.xx, where I was kicked from servers for using the M249 in the manner advised by the in-game training. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Looks like most peoples biggest fear is confirmed, Gibson said in the bash and slash podcast 2 days ago that it'll be released 'next year', so I guess we're looking at a 2012 release. :(

You do realize you were almost caused a death right? :eek:

Like it or not, "spam" is the main point of support weapons like the LMG and cornerstone of fire and maneuver tactics, not just marksmanship. I remember this BS accusation of "spam" when I played AA 2.xx, where I was kicked from servers for using the M249 in the manner advised by the in-game training. :rolleyes:

It's how we use our 249's and 240's IRL, and it's how I use it in AA2. They wanna cry they can go jump off a bridge.

Last edited:
Upvote 0