• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Extremely weird looking muzzle flashes

Zets is all wrong. If you take a gun and shoot it in person, I assure there is some sort of muzzle blast. Some guns have fireballs. It is infinitely easier to see the fireball with you regular vision when you are shooting the gun, but it is not the same way when you are viewing it through a video. I'm not entirely sure of the science, but I'm sure it has something to do with the natural frame rate of the eye.

So that video with the ppsh, not only is it not firing in full auto, but it also has a full 16 inch barrel. If you compare the picture of that gun, to a picture of a REAL ppsh41, you can count the venting holes on the barrel sleeve.

So, that's three reasons that video is totally bogus when trying to debate why the muzzle flashes in game are not needed.

They might look a little weird, but they are there for justifiable means.

Reactions: Reise
Upvote 0
Zets is all wrong. If you take a gun and shoot it in person, I assure there is some sort of muzzle blast. Some guns have fireballs. It is infinitely easier to see the fireball with you regular vision when you are shooting the gun, but it is not the same way when you are viewing it through a video. I'm not entirely sure of the science, but I'm sure it has something to do with the natural frame rate of the eye.

So that video with the ppsh, not only is it not firing in full auto, but it also has a full 16 inch barrel. If you compare the picture of that gun, to a picture of a REAL ppsh41, you can count the venting holes on the barrel sleeve.

So, that's three reasons that video is totally bogus when trying to debate why the muzzle flashes in game are not needed.

They might look a little weird, but they are there for justifiable means.

Again what I said the entire time is not that your eyes cannot see the muzzle flash, but that it happens quite fast.

In Red Orchestra you generally see a muzzle flash for multiple frames, that is too long of a time. As due to the sampling nature of a game it should generally give an overview such as in videos.

Your eyes are able to detect changes up to around 200 images per second. But that doesn't mean a lot if the game doesn't run at 200 images per second.

As in the duration of the muzzle flash should generally be the realistic duration (which could be measured with a high speed camera). Then depending on your computers sample rate you would either see or do not see a muzzle flash.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Again what I said the entire time is not that your eyes cannot see the muzzle flash, but that it happens quite fast.

In Red Orchestra you generally see a muzzle flash for multiple frames, that is too long of a time. As due to the sampling nature of a game it should generally give an overview such as in videos.

Your eyes are able to detect changes up to around 200 images per second. But that doesn't mean a lot if the game doesn't run at 200 images per second.

As in the duration of the muzzle flash should generally be the realistic duration (which could be measured with a high speed camera). Then depending on your computers sample rate you would either see or do not see a muzzle flash.

Astonishingly, I've come up with a number (thank you Google).

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BTT/is_192_32/ai_n24232246/

"the muzzle flash lasts only between 0.017 and 0.033 seconds"

:p

At 60 FPS, each frame lasts .017 seconds, which should put you at 1-2 frames total. At 30 FPS, half that.

Upvote 0
I agree.

Not only does it not look that realistic, but it just looks weird.

Remove the fireball from most of the guns (I know the Mosin carbines have it) and it will look better.

Put more smoke.

Make it so that when you are in a dark area, you can see a flash. Insurgency did this well.

Thankfully, this is something that can easily be patched in the future.

Upvote 0
You guys do realize we are still in alpha, right?
Um of course we do, but has that EVER stopped this forum from taking what we know about the game and debating every minuscule aspect of it? Of course not!

Besides, now you guys know that the consensus of this thread is that the muzzle flashes as depicted in that screenshot aren't desired. Isn't that nice? :D

Upvote 0
Ever actually shot a gun?

The shooter himself is probably one of the persons to least notice a muzzleflash.

I've owned 3 M44's, used new, surplus and handloaded ammo of different loadings and manufacturers, and guess what? I've never noticed a muzzle-flash when shooting in broad daylight, except a slight reddish glow.

EDIT: Just noticed that there were a couple of posts between mine and CopperHead's. I was referring to Copperhead.

Last edited:
Reactions: CopperHead
Upvote 0
Ever actually shot a gun?

The shooter himself is probably one of the persons to least notice a muzzleflash.

I've owned 3 M44's, used new, surplus and handloaded ammo of different loadings and manufacturers, and guess what? I've never noticed a muzzle-flash when shooting in broad daylight, except a slight reddish glow.

That's interesting. Every single person that has ever shot my m44 lauds the fireball that comes out of the end of the barrel.

Upvote 0
That's interesting. Every single person that has ever shot my m44 lauds the fireball that comes out of the end of the barrel.
Yes, that's when watching it and when shooting under low-light conditions and especially when doing perfectly timed photos.
When shooting yourself you can hardly see any muzzleflash.

Reactions: CopperHead
Upvote 0
The trouble is with things like demo's and pre-release screenshots is that they are always shown in the context of it being a "pre-release build" and "does not represent the final product". How many demos ive played over the years which have a "this demo does not represent the final product", when 99% of the time, nothing changes between the demo and release.

Upvote 0