• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Extremely weird looking muzzle flashes

I forgot to mention, but the smoke should spread out more and not be in a thick ball.

As for flashes, this is one thing the Insurgency mod did right. When you saw a flash, it was not a very bright fireball. Nice, small, and not blinding.

But it does vary from gun to gun.

The Mosin carbines should have a bigger flash compared to the other guns.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is where realism comes into play. Make the maps feature long distances, and you will not have an issue with "full auto snipers". :)

Realism often times = balanced.

Games are about being fun. "Skillz" and scoreboards does not equal a fun game. Depth and immersion do.

Also, letting you know where the enemy is via Hollywood style muzzle flashes does not seem skillful at all. It means a game mechanic is telling you where the enemy is. Not much skill in the game playing itself for you...

So what's your point, if it's balanced, it's balanced. I never asked for a nuke to go off when someone shoots, or for a big arrow over their head. There is no FUN involved when players are firing from cover that renders them invisible. There is no skill or fun involved in a game of who saw who. Identifying your enemy after he fires and being able to do so before your flat dead is skill. Sitting in your blown out window firing off invisible pot shots = not skill, not fun.

You guys can exaggerate my points and play your game of ganging up on anyone who doesn't want to see ridiculous realism, just for the sake of realism, but I'm not going anywhere. HoS is not a simulator.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So what's your point, if it's balanced, it's balanced. I never asked for a nuke to go off when someone shoots, or for a big arrow over their head. There is no FUN involved when players are firing from cover that renders them invisible. There is no skill or fun involved in a game of who saw who. Identifying your enemy after he fires and being able to do so before your flat dead is skill. Sitting in your blown out window firing off invisible pot shots = not skill, not fun.

You guys can exaggerate my points and play your game of ganging up on anyone who doesn't want to see ridiculous realism, just for the sake of realism, but I'm not going anywhere. HoS is not a simulator.

Nobody is suggesting to have no flash or smoke, most just want it to be a bit smaller and more realistic looking. I think it's a bit silly to suggest that toned down/realistic muzzle flashes would somehow reduce both skill and fun. It's not as if the muzzle flash is always the first way to spot enemies, I find that sound is usually more important.

Remember that you have the same muzzle flash as other players. Consider the perspective of those doing the shooting and not just the ones being fired on. Small flash + sound =/= invisible.

As for HoS not being a simulator: you're right, but the fine line just got a little blurry.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

My word.. go purchase Ro:Ost, the game costs less than nothing thease days, you have spend more on a bad burger for sure, you have probably spend more on a toilet brush, so there's little reason not to, it's dirt cheap, Then play it, not just once, but enough to get a real feel for how that game plays.

Once you have done that, go watch all the videos of HoS in action and read up on it's various features again, and you will understand that HoS is the same game at it's heart and soul, it's RO, just more polished, sleek and with some cool new stuff in it, but the combat is going to play out in the same way, and most certainly not the way you seem to think it will right now..

Upvote 0
In a game with map design consisting of blown out buildings with a rifleman hiding in a window, seeing your opponents general location from a muzzleflash is the difference between a skill based shooter, and a game of who saw who.

You dont think being able to see an opponent without being seen yourself needs skill to pull off? Interesting.
Someone will need to tell the army that anybody can be an elite sniper, because obviously one of the skills sniper truely need isnt a skill after all, and anybody can do it. That must be why so many people fail sniper training :p

The skill in RO is about seeing without being seen, to see before being seen.
Somehow i think that skill, to you, means being able to twitch faster than the other. Maybe you should rethink your idea of skill, and recognize there are more skills than just being a fast aimer and still getting a chance after you have been spotted and fired at.
Hint: if you are in that position, you did something wrong beforehand.
The game of cat and mouse present in RO definitely requires more skill than your average twitch shooter, and next to this game of seeing without being seen you still need to hit your opponent, and this too is usually a bit trickier than it is in most other games.

Upvote 0
I was thinking about the muzzleflashes from the RO2 trailers in the past..

I really dont like how they play regarding to speed. Its like butter cming out from the barrels in slow-motion. IRL and in some other games the flashes are much faster.

Lets say u play RO2 in 100fps and you're shooting full-auto the muzzleflash takes up like 2-3 frames per flash when it should be like 1 frame.

I have no slightest idea if you guys are with me here, but here's 2 examply clips from u-tube.

It's not the look of them that disturbs me, it's the speed of them.

1st is RO2 (dunno if it's changed now):
YouTube - ‪Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad - PAX 2010 - Territory Mode - Walkthrough-Trailer @ HD (!)‬‏

And what it should look like. Dont mind the look of the flash, just how it appears regarding to speed:
YouTube - ‪Muzzle Flash cg‬‏

Hope to see this changed, if it's possible. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0