• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Extremely weird looking muzzle flashes

Ragox

FNG / Fresh Meat
Dec 2, 2010
I don't know if anybody else has noticed the strange appearance of muzzle flashes in the game footage and screenshots.

They look way too big and bulky. The smoke shouldn't be so dense, too.
Just take a close look at this screenshot here, for example.
You can't tell me that's realistic.
It almost looks like a 20mm cannon is firing :rolleyes:

Also from what I've seen it seems to be very annoying ingame, since it blocks a huge area of your screen when firing an automatic weapon.

So, I'd love to know what you guys think...

Those flashes dont look right. My summer job recently was a British Guard at Fort York, did volley fire for the guests. I swear that fireballs/smoke combo look like what came out of my Brown Bess.

That seems overkill, though the conflict saw the Germans introduce lower flash powder, it was apperently only a major issue at night from what I read..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yep, TWI - please remove Hollywood reality and effects.
[/COLOR][/COLOR]

What I hate in Hollywood and video games is when all the sounds are overexagerated, so a pistol sounds like a HUGE EPIC CANNON but when the explosions and machine guns start happening its just as loud because they already made the pistol as loud as possible.

I remember how in BC2 all the sounds were maxed out, so your gun was EAR DEAFININGLY EPIIIIIIIIIIIIIC but when a tank blew up next to you it wasn't impressive at all. In RO they nailed the sounds by not making everything EXTREEEEEEEME!

i never used ППШ 41 so i don't know if this looks real , but Mosin carbine does create gigantic fireball very visible during daytime , so maybe it was early generic

Well the Mosin Nagant fires a large caliber rifle round, as for the PPsh it is firing the most powerful pistol round in the world (until the magnum sized revolvers started coming out) in really hot loads at an extremely fast rate, so maybe that has an effect.

Upvote 0
do we have some high speed photos or footage of muzzle flashes? i'm pretty sure they'll look similar. but without concrete proof, i prefer less flash and more smoke...just my personal opinion since it'll make stalking harder if you can't spot the flash.

Modern ammo is generally lower flash than WWII era ammo. Would be hard to find video of actual WWII footage ammo to judge flash. Would really need authentic color video.

Upvote 0