• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Extremely weird looking muzzle flashes

As far as I know, every shot creates a muzzle flash to some extent, it's just that the frame rate of the video footage is too low to catch it. The muzzle flash can actually be pretty big (obviously dependent on the gun/ammunition but this gives a rough idea):
YouTube - SBR'ed SLR-107UR muzzle flash slow motion

Well, you example vid isn't exactly great. It shows the nearly only type of weapon that has an extensive muzzle flash, a carbine (and in addition to that it's a really damn short carbine firing 7.62x39).

Now let me get behind why:

A muzzle flash basically is one simple thing, unburned powder. That's the reason why SMG's nearly never have muzzleflashes (even at night they only show a hardly noticeable red glow) and pistols often do, why an M44 will have a huge fireball and a M91/30 will usually have a reddish glow in daylight.

There are three basic factors to achieve your muzzleflash: Barrel length, amount of powder and type of powder. There of course is way more to it but those are the three biggest contributors.

I've shot plenty of military rifles and I have hardly ever noticed anything other than a reddish glow on most weapons, with the exception of the logical candidates such as the M4, M44, AKU, etc.

Upvote 0
no matter how you slice and dice, these effects need to go.

Honestly, this would be fairly easy for TWI as i think the majority agrees it is much more realistic to have no effect at all (due to fps etc).

IF (and only if) TWI feels like spending more time developing, maybe they could put in a small fireball with no smoke for 1/60th of a second... hardly seems worth it though...

Upvote 0
you guys are just speculating while i think muzzle flash should be turned down a tad bit you don't know how it will effect gamplay as you havn't seen it in first person view or actually played the game so that being said whether it needs to be removed or not isn't really a dicesion you can make. and claiming its unrealitic isn't accurate either as i bet none of you have used ww2 ammo. if you have let me know and tell me all about it but i have seen real ww2 vids and i saw alot of muzzle flash not every time but you get a muzzle flash more than you'd say.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/toiletpaperholders/2609382056/

this guy timed a shot perfectly and look how much muzzle fire there was. :D

Upvote 0
you guys are just speculating while i think muzzle flash should be turned down a tad bit you don't know how it will effect gamplay as you havn't seen it in first person view or actually played the game so that being said whether it needs to be removed or not isn't really a dicesion you can make. and claiming its unrealitic isn't accurate either as i bet none of you have used ww2 ammo. if you have let me know and tell me all about it but i have seen real ww2 vids and i saw alot of muzzle flash not every time but you get a muzzle flash more than you'd say.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/toiletpaperholders/2609382056/

Oh look, it's a carbine again! :rolleyes:
Read my post and see what the problem for me is.

And yes, I shot couple a couple of different 1943-45 7.92x75IS rounds, never had a large muzzle flash, just a bit more smoke than usual. Although the Kar98k should have a bit more muzzle flash than a 91/30, especially at night.

Upvote 0
no matter how you slice and dice, these effects need to go.

I'm not sure they have to go as such, i can belive the PPSh would develop quite a bit of smoke due to it's ROF, the real problem is the density of it!

If you took that same muzzle flash/smoke, but made every texture/particle that's comming out 50% more transparent (or maybe even a bit more), then all of a sudden it would look far more reasonable, then it would look like a lot of smoke and a bit of flame, and not like a bomb exploded at the muzzle.

It still might need further tweaking than that, but just boosting the transparency of the texture effects would make a huge difference, and is something i think they need to do regardless of how else they might tweak the muzzle flashes.

Upvote 0
Oh look, it's a carbine again! :rolleyes:
Read my post and see what the problem for me is.

And yes, I shot couple a couple of different 1943-45 7.92x75IS rounds, never had a large muzzle flash, just a bit more smoke than usual. Although the Kar98k should have a bit more muzzle flash than a 91/30, especially at night.

nicely written post however for some reason i missed the post looked at the video and moved on somehow. :eek: also i know they're not always that huge im just saying a muzzle flash exists so why should it not be in game. that picture was taken in the day time that being said you can see muzzle flash in day time. disproving something said earlier that i read. also for most guns id think there would be less smoke ive seen guns fired never that much smoke.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I hate muzzle flushes in games because they are always over-done. Yes there are muzzle flashes but they appear and disappear so fats that most of the time the human eye cant see it.

like in bc2 when using iron sites you often will loose site of your target because of the big ball of fire...

retarded.

Upvote 0

[url]http://www.flickr.com/photos/toiletpaperholders/2609382056/[/URL]

That isn't the World War 2 ammunition....

it's the caliber and the barrel length. A carbine firing a 7.62x54R has a lot of unspent powder leading to the large muzzle blast. Alternately, if you used a full length Arisaka, the Japanese rifle of World War 2, there would be virtually no muzzle flash. It's a longer rifle with a smaller caliber, hence less muzzle flash.

Upvote 0
That isn't the World War 2 ammunition....

it's the caliber and the barrel length. A carbine firing a 7.62x54R has a lot of unspent powder leading to the large muzzle blast. Alternately, if you used a full length Arisaka, the Japanese rifle of World War 2, there would be virtually no muzzle flash. It's a longer rifle with a smaller caliber, hence less muzzle flash.

dude whether WW2 ammo has huge muzzle flush or not. Game-play > reality any day. I like realistic games and i like where this game is going. But the benefit of being "realistic" is outweighed by the fast that i want to be able to see stuff im shooting at.

Reactions: Lucan946
Upvote 0
dude whether WW2 ammo has huge muzzle flush or not. Game-play > reality any day. I like realistic games and i like where this game is going. But the benefit of being "realistic" is outweighed by the fast that i want to be able to see stuff im shooting at.

You completely miss the point.

All people that want realistic muzzle flashes want them smaller/less visible to what TWI has in the screen shots atm.

Reactions: Lucan946
Upvote 0

Fire in bursts = problem solved

Why would making it easier to hit stuff in RO with automatic weapons be beneficial to gameplay?

I hope the muzzle flashes/smoke will be realistic in HOS. The strive for realistic weapon/damage models is a big part of what made Ost special. Make the balance issue elsewhere.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0