• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Battlefield 3

So the latest BF3 news is just lovely:

http://borderhouseblog.com/?p=5811
Oh wow...

I really don't get where the misogynistic treatment of female gamers comes from. 90% of the girls/women I've played with have been great to hang out with on voice chat. The few I've met at clan gatherings have been very nice as well.

Maybe other people have had a different experience?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
"Misogynistic" probably leads people to draw the wrong conclusions. The stupid testosterone-driven kids are basically animals who compete for female attention when there is one around, be it by being dicks to their competitors or by being dicks to the females they want to impress. Because being dicks is pretty much all they can do, sad as it is.
It's not like it's specifically a gathering of women-haters. It's a gathering of sex-starved animals who just don't know that women are people too yet.

Just my unfounded opinion. Never been to such an event.:confused:

Upvote 0
Oh wow...

I really don't get where the misogynistic treatment of female gamers comes from. 90% of the girls/women I've played with have been great to hang out with on voice chat. The few I've met at clan gatherings have been very nice as well.

Maybe other people have had a different experience?

I've heard all parts of the spectrum. From normal male-female interaction to stupidity on both ends. Everyone's different, and barring one group from a LAN party only fuels flames.

Then again it's not like this is some super huge event that only happens once. No use getting all bent out of shape about one group's LAN party and their weird rules.

Upvote 0
http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/battlefield-3/1184267p1.html

Here's about 40 mins worth of alpha game play, wherein the player demonstrates the recoil on all the kit weapons and shows you some customization.

Pretty ho-hum stuff, tbh. Ammo Bonus I, II, Speed Boost I, II. You get the idea.

Guns get customized separately from your kit, so you have optics and junk for the gun while your kit has the weapon choices, gadgets and perks. Kind of nice compared to BC2, where you had to make tradeoffs of a semi-ridiculous sort between Magnum Ammo and...well, everything else.

There doesn't seem to be a ton of destructible stuff in the maps we've seen in alpha, which is what I really want to see some of.

And holy ****, the Lav-25 is peppy now. Like, 50% faster than it was in BC2. I wonder if the tanks also got a lot more oompf.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Started watching the first vid.

@4:25 he says that on high graphics settings, the game shows grass and on low settings it doesn't.

Why would anyone play with grass turned on if you can simply turn it off and make it easier for yourself to see enemy players? Yeah, the grass isn't that high, but when someone is in prone and a bit further away, it could potentially make it harder for you to spot them.

I don't know... it's kind of an obvious thing. I'm hoping DICE have considered this. Maybe it's really not an issue.

Edit:
... and when he was showing the RPK and M249, he equipped a bipod for both, but didn't show how it works.

Anyway, watched it all and I gotta say that the person who made the vid seemed pretty clueless. I mean, he didn't describe the weapons at all (unless you count "it's good", "it's bad"). Didn't talk about their range, how much damage they do compared to each other, etc etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Why would anyone play with grass turned on if you can simply turn it off and make it easier for yourself to see enemy players? Yeah, the grass isn't that high, but when someone is in prone and a bit further away, it could potentially make it harder for you to spot them.
Welcome to post-Far-Cry gaming...:rolleyes:
Seriously, this argument has been around since there was grass in video games and it's never been a problem.

The only actual problem people have with grass occasionally is that the stupid, misplaced depth-of-field effects screw up your vision because the game thinks you want to be looking at the blade of grass you have in your eyes and blurs everything you actually want to be looking at beyond recognition.
But the whole hiding-in-grass/disabling foliage thing is as old as it's baseless, imo.

Upvote 0
Just watched all 4 videos on youtube and I must say I'm less than impressed. Things I noticed so far(yes I know its only alpha):

1. The fact that alpha testing is given to someone who refers to flash suppressor as "muzzle support" gives a clue about general population that was targeted by the developers.

2. Whole weapon mechanics are cod-like with the rubber-band recoil which makes the weapon automatically return to its original position. Recoil itself is non existant so firing RPK while moving will only give you a lot of conefire. When the commentator said that some weapons have really strong recoil I laughed so hard(not really).

3. The aiming attachments with magnifier only reduces the overall field of view instead of having a "picture in picture" effect like other games, including RO. I guess people won't notice that because they will never get tired of the "DESTRUKTN SISTTEM 3.0".

4. Destruction 3.0... The commentator told us that more destruction is visible only with DX11 but he clearly has no clue of what he is talking about so I'll just disregard that. I'm only gonna comment what I saw in the videos. Some suggest that destruction has been somewhat lowered in alpha, but on the last video he gives a demonstration from inside and outside building. With every rocket he fires he takes a whole wall clean off. Firstly, this is not how it happens in real life, and I know that they dont care about that. Secondly, the effect is same as in Bad Company 2, whole part of the wall is replaced with a destructed model which is same everywhere. I didn't witness any awesome dynamic destruction like demonstrated in this video of Red Faction 1, a 10 year old game that surpasses BF3 demoliton system:

‪red faction VS red faction 2,destruction.‬‏ - YouTube

But I understand what they were thinking. Had they implemented realistic demoliton effects it would probably be most boring game ever for kids who want to blow up whole buildings with 5 rockets. Half of the people would not even notice that destruction is there unless they would tank at a concrete building for 30 minutes straight.

Only thing that I always liked are sound effects which are not enough to convince me to buy this game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
1. The fact that alpha testing is given to someone who refers to flash suppressor as "muzzle support" gives a clue about general population that was targeted by the developers.
If you mean that the game is actually not a simulation targeted solely at people with a military background then yeah, you're right. It's a game. Meant for gamers. Gamers who may or may not be able to properly identify military hardware...

2. Whole weapon mechanics are cod-like with the rubber-band recoil which makes the weapon automatically return to its original position. Recoil itself is non existant so firing RPK while moving will only give you a lot of conefire. When the commentator said that some weapons have really strong recoil I laughed so hard(not really).
Recoil is rubber-band-like AND non-existent. Interesting.
Tell you what, real recoil is "rubber-band"-like in that you automatically bring your weapon back to where you were aiming it before you fired.

The degree to which this is modeled and how close and how fast the weapon returns to its original position in a game depends on a lot of factors. Reliability of the netcode, desired skill-gaps, how many hits it takes to kill someone, typical engagement ranges, how powerful you want the weapons to come across, the general pace of the game...

As for "conefire", I remember a time when that was all we had to simulate everything that went on with your weapon! It simulated recoil, unstableness due to posture and/or movement and/or injuries, aimed and shouldered positions etc. and it worked outstandingly well (=> Rainbow Six).
Dare I say it worked a heck of a lot better than a whole of bunch of later games that had "iron sights" and what-not...

Disregarding that a) it's an alpha and b) without playing the game yourself you don't even know how much of the rubber-band effect you saw was the game and how much was the player adjusting - disregarding all that - just spotting rubber-band-like recoil and a cone of fire is really worthless without discussing the underlying mechanics.

We may be an easily riled up beehive of arcade-game haters in here but just tossing buzzwords around with no thought behind it at all aside from trying to find factors supporting your predetermined opinion is a little weak. Even for this place.
You'll have a long way to go to become a real EP (tm)

And last but most certainly not least: You didn't actually expect the game to be realistic, did you?:p

Some suggest that destruction has been somewhat lowered in alpha
Some suggest indeed. Probably not the best version to judge the destruction effects then, is it?

I didn't witness any awesome dynamic destruction like demonstrated in this video of Red Faction 1, a 10 year old game that surpasses BF3 demoliton system:
Yeah, because blowing slightly randomized round holes into flat walls (except the parts of the level you're not allowed to, which are just going to scorch...) is awesome destruction...:rolleyes:
It was a cool idea for the time and with the abstract graphics and the simplistic game mechanics of RF1 it worked but if THIS was what destruction was like in BF3... People one can take more serious than you would laugh at the game.
I'd even take the ridiculous shriveling up of building models in Operation Flashpoint 1 over this cartoon-cookie-bite type of destruction, thank you very much.

EDIT: And for the record. No, I'm not a fan of BF3 and I won't buy it until I hear of a good mod coming out for it that I would want to support. And since there are no mod tools, well. Don't care for stock BF3 one bit. Or any other stock BF for that matter, although flinging tanks around with the helicopter with the hook in BF:Vietnam was fun for a while...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Answers are in bold.

If you mean that the game is actually not a simulation targeted solely at people with a military background then yeah, you're right. It's a game. Meant for gamers. Gamers who may or may not be able to properly identify military hardware...

I am making statements without having any expectations for BF3. Every sequel has a chance to become more realistic, or less realistic. That is why I am making a statement that it has not gotten any more realistic than the prequel.

Recoil is rubber-band-like AND non-existent. Interesting.
Tell you what, real recoil is "rubber-band"-like in that you automatically bring your weapon back to where you were aiming it before you fired.

Two can play that game. "...you automatically bring your weapon back..." You AND automatically? Interesting. Anyways, I prefer the game to not do automatic reloads for me, or control the recoil for me. When I control my weapon I can predict its behavior a bit more which results in better effectiveness.

The degree to which this is modeled and how close and how fast the weapon returns to its original position in a game depends on a lot of factors. Reliability of the netcode, desired skill-gaps, how many hits it takes to kill someone, typical engagement ranges, how powerful you want the weapons to come across, the general pace of the game...

Again, I am only making a statement. The rubber-recoil is not a necessity in a game today, unless you want to open the game to wider audience, that is.
For me it simply kills the immersion of weapon handling mechanics.

As for "conefire", I remember a time when that was all we had to simulate everything that went on with your weapon! It simulated recoil, unstableness due to posture and/or movement and/or injuries, aimed and shouldered positions etc. and it worked outstandingly well (=> Rainbow Six).
Dare I say it worked a heck of a lot better than a whole of bunch of later games that had "iron sights" and what-not...

I agree about the conefire, I used to play Americas Army where it worked just fine. But in these videos it is clear that semi auto gives you better accuracy over doing single shot in full auto mode.

Disregarding that a) it's an alpha and b) without playing the game yourself you don't even know how much of the rubber-band effect you saw was the game and how much was the player adjusting - disregarding all that - just spotting rubber-band-like recoil and a cone of fire is really worthless without discussing the underlying mechanics.

Does "yes I know its only alpha" which I wrote in beginning of my post means to you that I am disregarding of that fact? My whole post is a critic towards the videos, which are open to critic upon publishing.

We may be an easily riled up beehive of arcade-game haters in here but just tossing buzzwords around with no thought behind it at all aside from trying to find factors supporting your predetermined opinion is a little weak. Even for this place.
You'll have a long way to go to become a real EP (tm)

That is exactly what I did, and there is nothing wrong with it. Everyone's opinion is predetermined, or else it would be called a random thought.

And last but most certainly not least: You didn't actually expect the game to be realistic, did you?:p

See my first answer in this post.

Some suggest indeed. Probably not the best version to judge the destruction effects then, is it?

Yeah, because blowing slightly randomized round holes into flat walls (except the parts of the level you're not allowed to, which are just going to scorch...) is awesome destruction...:rolleyes:

"because blowing slightly randomized round holes into flat walls" - isn't that what happens when you shoot up stuff in real life? And only after you've made a lot of holes does the wall collapse. Red Faction is not perfect, but Destruction 3.0 is kind of a joke. Their marketing plan was all bout showing how buildings collapse only to disable that feature in multiplayer(because of balancing reasons). Turns out TWI were right all along when they said(I think it was Ramm) that shooters cant evolve around destruction feature.

It was a cool idea for the time and with the abstract graphics and the simplistic game mechanics of RF1 it worked but if THIS was what destruction was like in BF3... People one can take more serious than you would laugh at the game.
I'd even take the ridiculous shriveling up of building models in Operation Flashpoint 1 over this cartoon-cookie-bite type of destruction, thank you very much.

You get a cookie for being so literal and another one for missing my point which was: destruction in frostbite engine consists of ninja smoke tricks. There is so much smoke covering up the "destruction process" but in the end I could see 3 blasted windows of the same height and shape.

EDIT: And for the record. No, I'm not a fan of BF3 and I won't buy it until I hear of a good mod coming out for it that I would want to support. And since there are no mod tools, well. Don't care for stock BF3 one bit. Or any other stock BF for that matter, although flinging tanks around with the helicopter with the hook in BF:Vietnam was fun for a while...

Well, why do you reply in here than?

Upvote 0
Why do idiots insist on having an opinion on something they've never played?

Let me post it again so you can understand it. This is an ALPHA test. It is not representative of the finished product. They disabled most of the destruction because they don't need to test that stuff right now. I believe it's mostly a stress test and back end stuff.

You're getting your information from youtube idiots who got their **** wrong, so what does that make you? Double wrong.

Upvote 0
Why do idiots insist on having an opinion on something they've never played?

And what seems from people who weren't interested in this game in the first place, but still flood the thread how this and that sucks...

This is battlefield it won't change with BF3 and it probably shoudn't. What most of these people here seems to want is a brand new serie, but there are plenty of those in making Armas and RO2 ect.

Edit. And I got in the alpha testing :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0