• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Will it have search & destroy?

How more realistic can it be to only have ONE life in a round. Is it realistic to keep on respawning? ......

It has been stated before that respawning represents the amount of reinforcements that are available to a given map/round. It doesn't mean that players have so many lives. In reality, given the size of the maps, the number of soldiers that would be available is far far greater than the number of players that is managable on servers.

Now if a map is specifically designed for a limited, set number of players at startup, that is a different story.

....Uh, real men? :rolleyes: its a game that children can play

~~~edit.... just to clarify, who says any S&D gametype has to have it set that there is only one respawn per player? If you are thinking of the COD version of it, well quite honestly I thought that version sucked....(my opinion, not necessarily others)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
With the current, but never really played S&D, they are built into the map as objectives to be destoyed and its not really a seperate game type. You don't capture certain objectives, you destroy them. Simple and you mix the capturable with the destroyable objectives. It isn't even a separate mod. Come on, someone has to remember Roadblock with the KV-2?

Upvote 0
With respawning, who cares if you die, you're right back in the game like nothing happened.

Search and destroy is the game met to play for the real men.

And that's the way it is. Like it or not.

Let me guess...you NEVER played a real clanmatch in Red Orchestra. ( but if you change your mind, check out [url]http://roladder.net/[/URL] ) If you whould have, you whouldent be so damm ignorant. A respawn time of 5-30 sec. can screw up alot in terms of tactic and overall strategy. Its not like you *BOOM pink dustcloud* and you magicly reappear at the spot of sudden dead. You have to go there and often fight your way back, or change the tactic on the fly...but for some odd reason, i think you wont change your mind whatever anyone here whould write.

I played alot of CoD2 with S&D mode in a clan before i got sucked into the void that is RO. And i NEVER played CoD2 again. never ever. :D

Come on, someone has to remember Roadblock with the KV-2?

I do. Was a fun map. Lots of AHZ stuff i miss. The t-34 that is capable of transporting people for example.

Upvote 0
S&D as in the definition of the word search and destroy can be done in default maps. You either cap a spot atm or destroy something. Even stock maps in RO have mapobjectives you often need to blow up with a satchel.
Although thats not the case of issue here.

One thing is though that although battles werent fought in empty places, loads of people like a gamemode with limited lives because it makes a person have a lot more care for their one life. Generally people call a gamemode with 1 life generally search an destroy (even if you cap something rather than blow it up), its the general basic gamemode of counterstrike, medal of honour and cod, and loads of gamers love it.

Personally rather than 1 or 2 objectives with 1 set of lives, i would like to see it as a variation of a gamemode. Normally if your team died or obtained the 1 or 2 objectives you change map.

What if you just play on another section of the map when you obtain 1/2 capzones or your squad dies. Like advance to the next set of capzones.

That way 1 map is like multiple S&D maps combined (think of an S&D campaign that connects seamlessly), with this no new base maps need to be made saving some development time primarily changed objective order and flow. While pleasing the crowd that loves low player amount gameplay.

It wouldnt be the gametype i would play, but in the non ro division of icm most people that stopped with ro stopped because they didnt like the fast respawning coming from a 1 life round scenario.

I dont think it will split the community too much personally, as it will primarily cather to a crowd that is pretty much completely abundant from the ro universe at the moment. Although generally realism units seem to prefer this type of gameplay as well.

The reason of importance of including such a gamemode officially preferably in the first release is simply, that if such a game mode is there, the lovers of that style of play will know it offers it at release. Creating a community for that gameplay style right away. If its added through a mod or later in release, then a big amount of the possible community that could be gained is missed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
ROHOS will have multiple game modes as was mentioned in the press release. This includes a "single life" game-type but done in a very unique way that no-one else has done before. As a matter of fact, many of the new gametypes should be refreshing to FPS players ;)

I'm glad to hear that =)

does that mean that we'll finally get a realistic 1 life game mode in which when you die in game, you also die in reality? =P

Upvote 0
ROHOS will have multiple game modes as was mentioned in the press release. This includes a "single life" game-type but done in a very unique way that no-one else has done before. As a matter of fact, many of the new gametypes should be refreshing to FPS players ;)

This really sounds great. Can't wait to see what it's all about.

Upvote 0
Search and destroy is the game met to play for the real men.

And that's the way it is. Like it or not.

This statement really says a lot about your IQ.

I personally really do enjoy S&D in other games. However in RO it should be as a secondary thought since the standard mode is already fantastic. The fact is dieing in RO is costly just as it is in S&D. In most servers I play there is always a respawn delay not to mention that each side only has a certain amount of reinforcements depending on the map. RO is a game which recreates historical battles. I don't think there are too many WWII historic battles that only included 50-60 soldiers total. Therefore respawn is needed.

The fact that you will sit here and insinuate that what type of mode you prefer in a video game makes you a real man or not is just baffling. Then you will turn around and accuse another poster of acting like a teenager. WOW.

Upvote 0
The thing with "one life only" is that we're talking a maximum of 20 people per side. That might be suitable for a terrorist cell battling a counterterrorism unit, but a war? It makes a mockery of any semblance of realism.

As for a new way of doing "one life only" (as mentioned by Ramm) - could be something in a similar vein to some Insurgency maps, but moreso? i.e. With a single team having one life each and having to hold out for as long as possible in a vastly superior position with superior armament against a poorly armed opposition who have many respawns? That would be something that most long-time RO players would embrace. Though there's still nothing more boring than having to wait for a round to end if you get caught in the initial grenade spam - especially if both sides are being girly-men and hiding out.

Or even better, all human players defending a location from hordes of zombies! No, hordes of alien xenomorphs! Limited ammo, one life each and ever increasing waves (literally!) of bugs! Go on, DO IT! That way I won't have to mod it! :p BUUUUUGS!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

That sounds great!

I think RO:HOS can gain a lot by attracting players from other communities.

People my scoff at the idea of a 'Search and Destroy' or single life gametype but then gametypes can be limited by filter. Just because is there does not mean you have to play it. The 'single life' gametype may appeal to a crowd or community who was involved in a whole other series or game for years. Being able to attract such crowds, especially when they are disenchanted with a current game series (ie. Call of Duty) can give this game a huge following. Some of those players will play other gametypes and may be sold on the original RO mode or whatever... The main thing is that there will be a sense of familiarity. The gametype may not be s&d but hey, its a one life gametype and some units/clans will say, "hey, we can work with that..."

Upvote 0