• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Why do people run servers with +100 guns?

Benjamin

Grizzled Veteran
May 17, 2009
France
What's the point in having so many weapons when most of them are either of poor quality, or do exactly the same thing as every other weapon?

If you do have some good weapons on there, why saturate the list with crud that people have to search through (in limited trader time, might I add) before they find the good stuff?

Are these server admins the same people that always go "HUURR MOAR GUNZ PLZ" when suggesting an 'improvement' for the game?

Have these people never heard the expression "less is more"?

Discuss.

Variety, simple as that.

I, for one, would actually like tons of guns in the game. It's nice to have something that comes in tons of different flavours rather than just a couple. That way everyone has something they personally like in the game.

Though I don't think a giant list of guns works for the trader menu. IMO the gun list needs to be categorized with seperate drop-down lists for each perk, as well as one for pistols (since not only sharpie players use them, so it's easily accessible).

Upvote 0
I wouldn't mind if they were all quality weapons but do you really want a load of low quality weapons that mostly do the same thing?

This.

The M99, Mosin, Enfield and Garand are all very different.

The M99 is a slow reload heavy hitter.
The Mosin is a generic bolt gun for the masses.
The Enfield is a speedy rifle.
The Garand is a semi-auto rifle for quick shooting.

That's just some rifles.

The Commando/Medic guns can vary even more in their roles.

Like a PPSh, MP40 and StG44; those are my faves.
Medic has the M7A3, MP5, MP7, Medic nade launcher, Medic Shotgun and more.

Then the Machine Gunner perk has a high cap low rof gun (M1919), a high rpm gun (MG42) a GPMG (MG34) and some heavy rifles (BAR, BREN).

They're all really different.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't mind if they were all quality weapons but do you really want a load of low quality weapons that mostly do the same thing?

This, I'll try out new weapons and then try trimming them back. I think the lest download time the better (strange coming from me)

*EDIT* Oh, and for the record the machinegunner perk is the worst idea ever.

Upvote 0
If you run a server for personal enjoyment do what makes you happy. If people don't like features they don't have to stay. If you run a server because you want to have a bunch of people play on it then by all means listen to what they have to say.

Maybe someone could do a review of all the custom guns so that server admin can get an idea of what they are putting into play and attempt to provide the best layout of functioning, effective guns.

Upvote 0
the russian m249?

No, it was mostly WW2 ones that are floating about. This was before the Russian lads became more active around here.

Maybe it just didn't scale well because by the time you hit the, meh, 30+ mark on the perk. It just got silly.

We did it a little differently, it levelled based on the other perks, certain machine guns levelled certain damage, like shotgun, ARs and flame damage. So you had to get a lot of damage to get to the cap (100 at the time). Won't name any names but there was one player that got to lvl100 (at that point it was a case of sit there and hold M1) who had the nerve to call one the most skilled players I know a crappy medic, lacking in skill because the medic didn't heal him. Despite the fact he had ran from the group and had only been playing a class that needed absolutely no skill. :rolleyes:

Maybe it was just our version of it, but we quickly ditched the perk altogether.

Upvote 0
americans and their guns....

Or wolfenstein server has way too many weapons. I can agree with that, I just tweaked all the RO guns that ro-sauce made and stuck em on, I still need to filter those out. Our deadspace server has the right amount of guns, about the same amount as stock KF. Classic modded WPC 3 has a tad too much probably, but I think its fun that way. The Aliens server has little weapons, a bit too little maybe...but were working on that.

In the end its usually the americans that always want more guns, and 50 variants of the same one. They are way too gun-minded and just want OP guns that make em win the game every time they play. They should be more worried about balance and ask themselves "would this fit the server?".

1st thing folk do when they join our TS is ask for a new gun in KF...

"hey, can you guys add a bullpup super galactic fire missile? Ill draw it, and you can put it in your server ok?"

owkeeee....

I hate making guns for the game, so I stick with making the zeds usually..

EDIT: and the endless discussions about fire arms...get a life dammit! Its a barrel that poops out a steel nippel and kills an ugly person. MOVE ON!

Last edited:
Reactions: -=Ivan=-
Upvote 0
It'd be nice if there was a way of tracking gun usage, that way you could trim out guns that don't get used.

"hey, can you guys add a bullpup super galactic fire missile? Ill draw it, and you can put it in your server ok?"

And isn't my response to that usually "Sure, and while I'm at it I'll make a Win Button just for YOU."

Upvote 0