• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO2 Why 2x zoom is wrong.

Before I wll explain why 2x zoom is wrong I want to clarify few important things:

- - In this thread I am talking about visible size of objects in game
- - I am NOT TALKING about PIXELS. SIZE and RESOLUTION are different problems, and they must have different solutions.
- - I am NOT TALKING about limitation of Field Of View to 90 degrees, while in reality it

Upvote 0
I don't see your problem. Who regularly sits 30 cm from his screen? While playing, my 24" screen is more than an arms length away from my face.
If someone wants to hunch over his desk, ruining his back doing so, to see something better in an online game, let him...

This is YOUR problem that you are not interested in playing good, not mine. You can do whatever you want, you can even go to other room and watch your screen with binoculars, that doesnt mean that game must be adapted to your lazyness. That will not change the fact that other players on the server, who are trying to play good, will lean forward a bit and see a lot better picture than you. Adapting for lazy players like you will result in completely unrealistic, a lot better than IRL image for those who play normally.
Also in my post (you would notice if you read it good) 35cm distance is taken only for cases when you AIM FAR AWAY. Regular distance is considered to be 50cm. And even for 50cm vanila 2x zoom is ridiculous and unrealistic.
Funny joke about ruining back. I am playing RO since 2009 with over 1500 hours in both and my back is completely fine.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I do fine slouching. Still top the scoreboard most games. The reason is that I'm the guy that's always behind you. Not sitting 200m away picking off targets. 30cm away from the screen is pretty damn close and I doubt think many people lean toward that close or even move their heads much at all.

So game must be adapted only for your type of playing, sniper role removed and shooting on 150+ meters strongly prohibited? is this your logic?
Also i am sure you wont as succesful on IOM event. I know your are not playing our mod, but if you would, you would notice that players are a lot less dumb than in vanila.

Upvote 0
So game must be adapted only for your type of playing, sniper role removed and shooting on 150+ meters strongly prohibited? is this your logic?
Also i am sure you wont as succesful on IOM event. I know your are not playing our mod, but if you would, you would notice that players are a lot less dumb than in vanila.

Game's fine as it is. No change needed. Come on man. I don't want to have to start insulting IOM.

Upvote 0
Ok guys, play nice. Lets not go thereXD Let's go back to the original topic. I think if you lean in, and turn down the zoom, it is more realistic like in real life. The size of objects is more correct. However a fix might be difficult because everybody plays differently.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No offence Aaz, but the threads pretty pointless if you expect any changes to come from it. The only changes to zoom will come via mods and the few active modders are already set in their opinions. It's not like TWI will modify zoom or anything else that affects global gameplay at this point. They obviously like it as it is.

If you just wanted to ***** about it, then enjoy.

Upvote 0
No offence Aaz, but the threads pretty pointless if you expect any changes to come from it. The only changes to zoom will come via mods and the few active modders are already set in their opinions. It's not like TWI will modify zoom or anything else that affects global gameplay at this point. They obviously like it as it is.

If you just wanted to ***** about it, then enjoy.

I obviously didnt create this thread to make twi change something. I just wanted to write an article about why 2x zoom is wrong and why its not representing the "unzoomed" mode, because many people seriously claim that.

Upvote 0
Are you drunk or what? where did i insult, who?

That we don't play the game seriously because we don't lean close into the screen. Then saying people who don't play IOM are dumb. Calm down and think before you type. I thought we were discussing zoom. Not saying "well you suck cos you don't play like me". Read back through what you wrote.

Upvote 0
That we don't play the game seriously because we don't lean close into the screen. Then saying people who don't play IOM are dumb. Calm down and think before you type. I thought we were discussing zoom. Not saying "well you suck cos you don't play like me". Read back through what you wrote.

I did read my own messages.

"you would notice that players are a lot less dumb than in vanila."
This means that players who play IOM are in general less dumb than vanila players in general. In other words, there are a lot of absolutely low-skilled players in ro2, who often cant notice enemy in front of them or something else like that. Many youtubers who make videos on ro2 make gameplay videos where they gloriously put down huge groups of such players with MG or satchel, they dont even hide and enemies just dont notice them or something. I saw myself this kind of players when i played classic mode long time ago, i know what i am talking about. Such people simply dont play our mod and that is another reason why its more challenging, why tactics that you use in vanila can become a lot less practical in our mod. You see my point now? You saw an insult where i actually was saying a constructive thing. I didnt insult anyone who came in this thread, unlike you said. Although word "dumb" can sound rude enough, i apologize if it offended someone, but still it wasnt adressed to anyone in this thread.

"That we don't play the game seriously because we don't lean close into the screen."
First, not "leaning close", but "While playing, my 24" screen is more than an arms length away from my face. "
That is not an insult at all, its just a fact. If you are sitting in 1 meter from your screen you are definitely not playing seriously. This is not reasonable at all to adapt game on players who do that, while majority of players are playing on normal distance, like 50 cm, and lean forward a bit when they aim far away.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Being an elitist prick in the RO2 forums shouldn't really be an option though.

So you call me an elitist prick, because i am saying that sitting in 1 meter from screen when you aim on 300+ meters means that you arent playing seriously? This is not even some kind of insult or offense, not even a criticism. Playing for fun isnt bad at all. My point was that game must not be adapted for those who are playing a lot less seriously than others and making worse conditions for themselves, simply because it would result in incorrectly good conditions for those who play more seriously.
Where is elitism here? You both are seriously putting words in my mouth that i didnt say.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So... How bout those Mets... :D

Spoiler!

Upvote 0