• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO2 Why 2x zoom is wrong.

aaz777

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 30, 2013
Russia, Pushkin
Before I wll explain why 2x zoom is wrong I want to clarify few important things:

- - In this thread I am talking about visible size of objects in game
- - I am NOT TALKING about PIXELS. SIZE and RESOLUTION are different problems, and they must have different solutions.
- - I am NOT TALKING about limitation of Field Of View to 90 degrees, while in reality it

Last edited:
You can probably change the Zoom FOV. But it's also probably deemed as cheating.

Thats not what this thread is about. I made this thread to bust the famous

"Oh-me-ge , all what 2x zoom does is returning you to normal mode, it IS realistic!" myth.
2x zoom is simply not realistic, and with regular conditions it gives you WAY bigger size of objects than in reality.
What would indeed give you the real size of objects is approximately 1,4x zoom, something like 65 FOV from 90. Again, with 50cm width monitor and and ~35cm from screen when you are aiming.

2x zoom is also wrong just for the fact that its 2x. It makes WAY too big difference between zoomed and unzoomed modes. This means that when you run, you are almost blind compared to enemy sitting and aiming at you, you see him 2x times worse than he sees you, something that isnt happening in reality and gives wrong advantage/disadvantage.

Insurgency and current version of dayz got that right, they have something like 1,5x zoom which i really like. Its just... overall good, comfortable and realistic.

Upvote 0
If that's the case then I think most people would want to see what they are aiming at and don't really care how much zoom there is.

We are talking about realism, right? And i am adressing this thread mainly to those who seriously defend 2x zoom as realistic feauture.

You also assume that everyone leans in lol. I'm a lazy slob so I'm probably slouched back 75cm away from the screen lol.

In this case you arent playing seriously and you arent trying to really hit enemy. IF you are really go back to 75 cm away when you aim far away, you are definitely not playing anyhow seriously. Thats just the same thing if you would shoot rifle in reality, but you would be completely lazy to concentrate and allign sights properly.

Upvote 0
I got even simplier explanation lol.

Lets say you are lazy as you said, you go back to 75 cm from the screen and dont give a crap. So, you want to get same size of objects as in real life, for that you will need 2x zoom or probly even more, lol.
But did you think for that guy in enemy team who is playing seriously unlike you? he will concentrate, lean a bit forward, and with... 2,3x zoom, made specially for lazy persons like you? with that zoom he will see 2 and even more times better than in real life.
You will get realistic zoom for lazy unserious person, and unrealistic RIDICULOUSLY BIG zoom for the serious person who is trying. Agree that it would be a lot better if seriously trying, concentrating player will get realistic image just like if he would try and concentrate while shooting rifle IRL, while lazy player would get worse image, just like in real life he would have worse shooting if he was lazy? i find it totally logical.

Upvote 0
Well I'm usually further up in the field not sitting back sniping. So why would I need shift zoom. Flank the cap, shoot everyone in the back, take the cap.

Its one of those things you can't actually get right. Becuase you are looking through a portal into the game. You don't have a screen taking up all of your vision. You will always have an easier time seeing targets at range of you actually took a gun and aimed at something. Becuase of the way your brain works. A screen is still just a 2d image.

Upvote 0
If your argument is realism then you can't get realistic shift Zoom. No such thing lol. It's just a way of making it easier to aim at targets at long range so you aren't pixel hunting. They really can't simulate all the things your brain does. And even if they could it would probably make it look really trippy with your brain reacting to what it's seeing on screen.

Upvote 0
If your argument is realism then you can't get realistic shift Zoom. No such thing lol. It's just a way of making it easier to aim at targets at long range so you aren't pixel hunting. They really can't simulate all the things your brain does. And even if they could it would probably make it look really trippy with your brain reacting to what it's seeing on screen.

Yes we CAN get such zoom that will represent you world in correct size, same size as you see in real life. At least approximately, due to different screen size and distance from screen.

Pixel hunting is completely different problem and i said in the beginning that i am not touching it. Resolution and size are separate things. I was only talking about zoom as tool to get correct size.

Zoom in RO2 was originally explained by twi as realistic feauture, by their words, it should give you realistic size of world. In this thread i proved that its wrong, 2x zoom gives you way bigger size. Dig old ro2 threads with old twi posts if you dont believe me.

I dont really get what you mean by "They really can't simulate all the things your brain does.".
Do you attach computer USB cabel to your brain directly, avoiding eyes, or what? you sound like you see your computer screen not by your own eyes and like image you get is not modified by your own brain.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well I don't think adding any amount of zoom added in anyway is realistic lol. It just makes sense for gameplay.
First off. I am not qualified to say much, I am not a game developer. This is just my opinion, However.

Can't you have both realistic and gameplay? Like in ro2, the weapons have free aim. So it is both for realism, and for game play. Same with weapons handling. You want as much realistic ballistics as possible, but still playable.

I know azz, that this is about that 2x zoom is unrealistic. However most people probably wouldn't notice or care that it would be changed to 1.5x. Because it is the feeling of "there's a target let me (focus) on it." Which is why people lean in to the screen. As long as there is somthing that has a certain Feeling of aiming it usually is nice.

Upvote 0
True, I like it in other games with far longer engagement distances, without it in those games, they'd be super frustrating even with optics. However, even they have a lower level of zoom, at least it feels like it.

I don't think with the short engagement distances in RO2 it's really needed at all, but my opinion is in the minority and zoom on/off is a topic already discussed to death. At a minimum, I'd prefer less and not have it tied to weapons at all. Shift zoom while running if you want, it'd help even out the disparity between those sitting behind cover and those out moving around.

Reactions: aaz777
Upvote 0
I know azz, that this is about that 2x zoom is unrealistic. However most people probably wouldn't notice or care that it would be changed to 1.5x. Because it is the feeling of "there's a target let me (focus) on it." Which is why people lean in to the screen. As long as there is somthing that has a certain Feeling of aiming it usually is nice.

You are completely wrong. Difference between 1.5x and 2x zoom is impossible to not notice. Try playing vanila ro2 and then insurgency. You will see giant difference

Upvote 0
Recently bought a new gun.

I focus on its open sights and I get a crisp sight picture but the target is all blurry. I focus on the target and my sights are all blurry.

Yet in RO2 I get crisp sights and target.

I'm taking that gun back. It musty be faulty.

Mine does that too. They must be selling faulty guns all over the place.

Upvote 0