• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What We Are Up To - New Hardware To The Front

MG42? I'm so gonna maw down some Ivans! :D

Panzer III also nice... and T-70 ok... i would have peferred KV-1 for the Sovjets and the Tiger I (Was used in a really small numbar at Leningrad some time after the beginning of Stalingrad) for the Axis... but i also am a fan of the German Big Cats... so i might be a little bit biased in the context of tanks^^

Btw will the MG42 (and actually the MG34 too) also get the Tiefenfeuerautomat?
Another unique feature of German World War II machine guns (and which continued to be used by the German Bundeswehr after the war) was the Tiefenfeuerautomat. If selected, this feature walked the fire in wave-like motions up and down the range in a predefined area. E.g., being unsure whether the real distance was 2000 meters or 2300 meters, the gunner could make the mount do an automatic sweep between the elevations for 1900 to 2400 meters and back. This sweeping of a given range (Tiefenfeuer) continued as long as the gun fired.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Why would that be nice? That doesn't sound like a very good game feature...

It wasn't that nice in real life either! That lack of radio made it impossible for Soviet tanks to coordinate attacks and get into formations. You might have 4 or 5 guys firing at the same target, while your enemy commander is telling his tanks what targets to fire on so they don't waste ammo and time firing at the same target.

Honestly the T34 in game is way more powerful than it was in real life and it's loss rate backs up that. Every time I play as a Panzer IV I find it very hard to knock out a T34. When I play as a T34 I find it much easier to knock out a Panzer IV and usually get a penetration with the first or second shot on target. Slopped armor isn't everything, especially with the poor quality of armor used on the T34s.

Upvote 0
No ETA yet. These are still in development and we are working on some community requests and bug fixes as well (as well as some other things) to go with it.

Do those requests you're handling include fixing Apartments? :D

Jean_Luc_Picard said:
Honestly the T34 in game is way more powerful than it was in real life and it's loss rate backs up that. Every time I play as a Panzer IV I find it very hard to knock out a T34. When I play as a T34 I find it much easier to knock out a Panzer IV and usually get a penetration with the first or second shot on target. Slopped armor isn't everything, especially with the poor quality of armor used on the T34s.

It's a game though, and while a certain degree of realism is good, it should not be overdone like you want.
As for the Panzer 4 vs T34, no idea what the specs are on both right now. Sometimes the PZ 4 is overpowered, then the T34 was overpowered a year or more back I think, and now I don't know.

Upvote 0
Do those requests you're handling include fixing Apartments? :D

Yeah, I would like to use that MG as a squad leader on the far right covering C without killing every guy spawning on me. Why do they spawn in front of your MG?

It's a game though, and while a certain degree of realism is good, it should not be overdone like you want.

Maybe, but I do love me some realism and I hate the T34 and all the praise it gets.

Upvote 0
You guys should have called this the "Christmas in July" update since that's probably the soonest we'll see any of this stuff in-game. I think I'll wait until after Thanksgiving to put out any milk and cookies for "Santa".

I don't think that we will have to wait this long to be honest. It wouldn't make sense in my eyes at least, to announce this update now and then deliver it 4 months later.

Upvote 0
I don't think that we will have to wait this long to be honest. It wouldn't make sense in my eyes at least, to announce this update now and then deliver it 4 months later.

I don't want to derail this thread so this is the last I will comment on it but if you look back at other WAAUT posts there is historically a 6 month lag (+/-) between first post and final implementation of new stuff.

Upvote 0

The original release of RO2 back in 2011 was also postponed. So unless you do see a trailer with the mentioned stuff in action, you have no clue whether it will be this fall or next spring when it will be included.

But it would be indeed nice to see the MG42 in RO2, also as a tripod mount.

Concerning Panzerfaust, Panzerschreck and all other mid-to-late war AT weaponry, it's already been discussed in another thread, that stuff went to the front from September 1943 onwards.
A 1944-45 mod however would be a bit shabby without these goodies.

Something however to really cheer up for would be if all the weapon leveling and ranking up would be thrown over the edge.
I'd rather see mappers decide which armament is available to the players and not have a pre-set due to the players' ranks. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Something however to really cheer up for would be if all the weapon leveling and ranking up would be thrown over the edge.
I'd rather see mappers decide which armament is available to the players and not have a pre-set due to the players' ranks. :rolleyes:

That is a really big thing I miss from ROOST, having the mapper be able to set what classes and individual weapons he wanted and not some generic perk/leveling loadout.

Upvote 0
That is a really big thing I miss from ROOST, having the mapper be able to set what classes and individual weapons he wanted and not some generic perk/leveling loadout.

If we saw more servers/players using the classic weapons loadout setting (its an option even for realism servers) it would be much easier for me to get this scoped for a future update. As it stands, player loadout is tied to the squad system (along with pretty much every system in the game) and making a change to that system is dangerous (the fear being we break/have to fix the rest of the game).

Upvote 0

IIRC, this is already possible. The mapper only needs basic coding knowledge to do it.

However, he has to shoehorn his new roles into the existing slots. The only difference between his roles and the game's would be their name, loadout, and availability while the amount of roles he may have is probably limited by the game's current number.

Upvote 0