• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

"What we are up to" - Feb 3rd edition

Tweaking could've made this game awesome and popular, making a new mode that will split the community and most likely will drive off any new players Relaxed Realism gained and will most certainly drive away anyone seeking actual realistic WW2 combat. RO-classic isn't going to save it, it will kill it. In the end, RO2 is going to be RO:Ost engine upgrade with no new features and the exact same 250 players.

I'm glad I found Project Reality a while ago. No reason to come back here except for WW2 being closer to my heart than modern day warfare.

How are you not getting this? If those players stop playing that mode and move onto the RO-Classic mode, then they obviously prefer the new mode.

That's like crying its not fair that your friends aren't coming to your party because they decided to go to a better, bigger party down the street. Its their choice!

Upvote 0
I like how certain users who have recently joined the community in the recent 2-3 months are giving us rants about how the sequel to the RO should be. Even flaming a new gamemode that was concieved after endless discussions and is seperate from other game modes and their "perfect RO2" game.

Do you have any idea what RO was? How different and unique from anything out there because of the features that you now dismiss? The current "RO2" is not RO at it's core as had been said million times already. I'm not going to reiterate the same discussions again.

If you are not happy about RO Classic, fine, play your normal/realism which are perfectly crafted by TWI especially for you. But, please give us who've been waiting for a true "RO sequel" a break.

Upvote 0
How are you not getting this? If those players stop playing that mode and move onto the RO-Classic mode, then they obviously prefer the new mode.

That's like crying its not fair that your friends aren't coming to your party because they decided to go to a better, bigger party down the street. Its their choice!

How are you not getting we have 3 populated servers and they will all run the classic mode. It's a choice between playing with other players in clumsyblindmanland or playing with bots.

Server owners will be the ones deciding what to play, not the players.

I like how certain users who have recently joined the community in the recent 2-3 months are giving us rants about how the sequel to the RO should be. Even flaming a new gamemode that was concieved after endless discussions and is seperate from other game modes and their "perfect RO2" game.

Do you have any idea what RO was? How different and unique from anything out there because of the features that you now dismiss? The current "RO2" is not RO at it's core as had been said million times already. I'm not going to reiterate the same discussions again.

If you are not happy about RO Classic, fine, play your normal/realism which are perfectly crafted by TWI especially for you. But, please give us who've been waiting for a true "RO sequel" a break.

I bought original RO:OST in 2008, joined this forum in 2009 and my old account is bugged somehow, go search for posts by Poerisija if you don't believe me. I've explained this before.

Steam shows 210 hours played in OST and I also have over 100 hours played of DH as well. I think I got a pretty good idea what RO was. Why do you think I haven't played RO? There's a damn reason I don't want it back and that's having played it and seeing what improvement RO2 was. Creating the "classic" mode will be a huge waste of time for TWI (that could also kill the game, see my point above) that they could've used improving the current gamemodes, especially the realism mode.

All the game needed to shine was a working wounding system, tweaks on shooting mechanics and suppression, bugfixing and better maps. Not a unneeded new mode that's not improving realism in any way.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Don't you think its slightly selfish to force everyone to play a version of the game they don't like? People will play the version they like, and if everyone prefers classic mode then that just shows the extent to which Tripwire failed with HoS. Some of the more popular servers we see now will switch to classic, mostly because the reason they're popular in the first place is that they ditched the "standard"/relaxed realism mode and tried to make the game more realistic.

People will just populate the servers they like, and hopefully the player base will grow enough so that it gets noticed by more than just the people who liked Ostfront. They need to do a re-release or something to get people interested again, and market it for their intended playerbase

If you want Firefight/Countdown, realism and relaxed realism servers then you need a healthy playerbase in the first place. Its not going to happen with a game without a solid core of players and you won't get the same exposure HoS had at release now. Its already been assessed by the masses and they went to other games and won't come back without a major marketting push/big update

Upvote 0
Players still decide.... they either join the server or shun it. Take a break already.

See what happened to Relaxed Realism? It died off. Multiple gamemodes always split communities when there's no need. I don't think anyone came to RO to play "relaxed realism". I certainly didn't.

Classic mode will be just another split and you and I both know the popular servers will be run by diehard RO-OST fanatics who only play the classic mode and those who don't want to play classic will at tops have 1 populated server or end up killing bots.

Don't you think its slightly selfish to force everyone to play a version of the game they don't like?

Don't you now? We already have Realism setting that only needed tweaks. Why is Classic mode forced down on the game when it needed none? Classic players don't want realism, they want RO-OST. I bought RO2 for realism.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
IF, if Relaxed Realism dies off because everyone moves on and plays on other servers with modes that they prefer, then the players have decided.

IF there are enough players who want to play the mode you prefer, start a forum post, create a clan and start up your own server with donations from all of those other members who want to join you and play the game the way you prefer. Surely there must at least a few responsible adults among your group who can handle something like that.

But for the love of God, stop complaining that if the new mode proves to be more popular, that you can no longer force them to play the way you want to because they will have made the choice to play the way that they want to!

~edit: Just want to add, you certainly can't complain about current clans or server admins setting up the servers the way they want to. They are taking the time to pay for them and admin them and putting in the effort.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm complaining about the fact developers are wasting time on something that won't improve the selling points of RO2 for me IE; realistic ww2 combined arms warfare.

We already had two modes, where one was unneeded and died off. Instead of improving realism mode they're splitting the already small community to die-hard OST-players | new people and those seeking what I was seeking - the realistic ww2 combined arms experience. I fear there are more of the former than latter.

I won't start any posts on this forums, I've seen how fruitless it is seeing how most people active on the forum aren't active on the game unless it's OST-copy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
We already had two modes, where one was unneeded and died off. Instead of improving realism mode they're splitting the already small community to die-hard OST-players | new people and those seeking what I was seeking - the realistic ww2 combined arms experience. I fear there are more of the former than latter.

I won't start any posts on this forums, I've seen how fruitless it is seeing how most people active on the forum aren't active on the game unless it's OST-copy.

Well, I will agree with you, that I would have preferred they actually improved Realism mode instead of making a new mode. But that is TWI's decision.

I will disagree with you that ROHOS is a more realistic experience, but as has been pointed out, that is more in a players perception of things.

I will also disagree with you that I want a ROOST copy.

Upvote 0
I'm complaining about the fact developers are wasting time on something that won't improve the selling points of RO2 for me IE; realistic ww2 combined arms warfare.

It's not like whole TWI has stopped what they were doing and started working on the new gamemode. Most of the changes are small tweaks and restrictions, not even new features. It will only require fine-tuning and the community will help them do that.

They've stated already since December they have new maps, tanks and possibly new weapons in the pipe. Compared to those new gamemode should be conceived quite quickly.

About "splitting" the community, the communty has already been split. The "8000 concurrent people" at the release who were promised something else, and left the game for good, and the ~1000 concurrents left enjoying the game as is. If TWI can even attract half the people they turned down in the beginning, it will be a massive boost for all.

Upvote 0
Guys, if you like HoS like it is now, if you enjoy relaxed/normal mode why are you here and keep whining about something that won't affect you? Why are you here on the forum, go play and enjoy HoS! We're glad that you like HoS, but take a note that RO community is still waiting for proper Red Orchestra game.

Upvote 0
It's not like whole TWI has stopped what they were doing and started working on the new gamemode. Most of the changes are small tweaks and restrictions, not even new features. It will only require fine-tuning and the community will help them do that.

They've stated already since December they have new maps, tanks and possibly new weapons in the pipe. Compared to those new gamemode should be conceived quite quickly.

About "splitting" the community, the communty has already been split. The "8000 concurrent people" at the release who were promised something else, and left the game for good, and the ~1000 concurrents left enjoying the game as is. If TWI can even attract half the people they turned down in the beginning, it will be a massive boost for all.

So how many people do you think TWI has? Answer is not a lot. We were supposed to have new maps by december IIRC and your last point about community being split is just false, game statistics look exactly like that for ALL GAMES. This has been discussed to death before. The 1000 people online daily aren't the same 1000 every day. It might be the original 8000 where each one of them plays once in week.

Upvote 0
Maps/weapons/vehicles are not made by coders but by the art team primarily , beside that TWI got relatively quite some coders for their size. Implementation is done by coders however no new features have to be made for getting weapons to work. Art teams generally make new content, think of maps, weapons, animations. Even then the classic mode will most likely not cost most of its time in implementing the settings, but mostly in testing how some changes affect gameplay. And for that it's likely that a lot of the feeling of overall gameplay is derived from opinions from people that play the public beta rather than utilizing TWI's internal testers.

Look at the balancing patch for killingfloor, all the implementation for it was done by only Xienen in his free time, while he and yoshi gauged the reactions of players from the forums. Overall I think that any KF player will agree that the balancing patch for KF made the game a lot better, and the balancing patch based on game play experience is essentially what people want for HOS (people want features that do not only look realistic on paper, but cause people to actually act realistically in game).

There are quite some people I know who do not play HOS at all (including me), and I think that a new game mode will purely cause people that stopped playing HOS while loved RO to return to at least try it out. Together with some that play HOS to go to the classic mode. While options can split a community, once a community gets to a point of being really small people will just play what the majority enjoys most.

I think your fear here is that in the end most people will end up enjoying the classic mode more. The thing is if TWI creates a mode the majority will like more than the current mode then its implemetation was a success. If the classic mode is as bad as you claim it is then nobody will end up playing it, But at least people on the forums will be shut up about wanting gameplay changes. A win-win situation for TWI.

Regarding server admins deciding what people play, its rather that player decide what server Admins run. Server admins try to make their server set up such that there are actually people playing on their servers. Which is why most servers with people on it start out with bots. Sure people don't like playing against bots but it simply gets the server full.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike_Nomad
Upvote 0
Gotta love how this place has been overrun by idiots, just as we predicted when they decided to reach for a new audience. Fortunately, you guys are still not nearly enough to keep a game alive.

Accept it, there is a much bigger niche in this side of the fence, waiting to come back, and the game needs us if it wants to survive.

If there will be any chance of finding a populated server in this game next year, its gonna be us the one's you'll have to thank (and TWI's wise rectification).

You think that the newcomers are a problem when you have an attitude like this?? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Self important twit.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the detailed update, Yoshiro.

If I understand Zetsumei correctly, then I'm in favor of his method for IS zoom as well.

No automatic zoom when going to iron sight.
Press an additional button to zoom.

Well I think if a player wants automatic zoom he should be able to have that. The thing is allowing people to keep options.

As you wrote, by default I prefer no zoom in Iron sights (or very mild zoom) so I can use iron sights in close quarters combat. But for long range in order to compete with other players I need zoom.

Which is why I want a separate button I can press to zoom, so I can choose to zoom when it is helpful, and not zoom when its counter productive.

--------
For all i care the breathing button will not have any zoom. But then allow a different button that people can use to basically enable or disable the zoom in iron sights.

Similarly it would be great if TWI could allow people to use their ironsights without toggling them, as a lot of modern day shooter players are used to the control set up of the call of duties, that use hold for ironsight.

Last edited:
Upvote 0