• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What is classic game mode?

Please don't, your attitude was beyond bad on the server. Going on for like 20 mins about how terrible it is. You made your mind up before even playing, just sat there complaining about everything

People don't have to like everything the way you do. This game needs positivity now. If you don't like it, just play arma2 like you said

I was on the server for 10 minutes. And yes, I had made my mind before joining but if I hadn't checked, I could've never been sure.

Why does this game need positivity now, please do tell? It didn't need it when playernumbers started dropping? It didn't need positivity when it was released half-baked? Why would it need it now? I'm certain to NOT advertise it to anyone anymore. Twi doesn't deserve it.

Twi did the worst mistake ever and listened to the loudest complainers, instead of doing their own vision and/or THE realistic ww2 experience.

If I sound bitter it might be because I am bitter. There are no good ww2 games on the horizon and I fear there won't be for a long time.

Upvote 0
Fly in the Ointment....

Fly in the Ointment....

Gentlemen, please don't start any flame wars on this my humble opinion. I am a true lover of the original RO and still play it often. However, with that said, I tried the new "classic" mode in RO2 last night for many hours and found it lacking. True, it was just like the original RO, but with new maps and figures, but that is not what brings me back to "Heroes". It is the new features of the games, which I am still mastering, that pumps adrenaline into my veins. Remember, the gnashing of teeth and pulling of hair when the original game game out? People whined and complained until the bugs were fixed and the controls were mastered. Change is hard for many. I know many will disagree with me and that is certainly fine. For me, I think I will continue the try and master "Heroes" as it was intended to be played. See you in the Grain Elevator with heavy breathing;)
`swamp

Upvote 0
What is classic mode anyway? Is it the game play, different maps? All I've seen so far is Mamayev. Is there no zoom in classic, short stamana no borders in the compass, or are these just mods that the server admin prefered to adjust. Classic is like learning a new game all over again. I do like the mapping of keys. I'm totaly new to RO playing. I like RO2, not sure about the classic tho. I appreciate the "vets" of RO-ost pasionate opinions, but us noobs like RO2. Can some of these "likeable" classic traits be put into RO2 and others not?

Upvote 0
Stick-Pin
To understand "classic" mode completely, you had or should play the original Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45. Classic mode is basically using that game model, movement, fatigue, hit points, etc, from the original game and applying them to RO2. Some really like it, but I personally do not. I like pulling the weapon to my shoulder with controlled breathing and firing off a round. That sequence is not in classic mode. Don't get me in trouble here,:D, the original RO is still a blast to play, but I want two separate games, not just an extension of one to the other.
Hope this helps.
`swamp

Upvote 0
This. Played Ro since its mod days on and off. Was massivley put off by the run and gun COD style they made RO2 into.

Game play is slower. Which I like. Even though I will admit it does not suit my favorite tactic in vanilla RO2, which is basically just sprint as fast as I can into the caps.

I've been playing some Clamode over the past couple of days and I find myself doing a whole lot more short sprints followed by extended periods of hunkering down to avoid getting shot. Not once have I been able to quickly remedy a fatal shot with a quick plaster either. Get shot in the vitals now - you're pretty much going to die.

Upvote 0
Woot! played for a while. It's got the feel of RO1, but the bling of RO2. I am happy, I am satisfied. If they put this out in the first place, there would have been alot less of a backlash. We would have had our game as promised, and we would have been more than happy to patiently wait for the bugs to be worked out.

Just sad that they missed such a big opportunity

Upvote 0
It's a downgraded version of the game for people who can't let go of the past.

So developers are spending a lot of time taking good things out, instead of developing cool new thing such as maps, vehicles, weapons etc...

Your just an ignortant..... A lot of Ro Die Hards who supported the game since Mod days complainted about the new so called Red Orchestra 2. They tested the Alpha and the Beta and have submited to TWI their complains about the new gameplay (no weapon sway after long sprints, supper accurate

Last edited:
Reactions: TrOOper
Upvote 0
After putting about 3 hours into the classic beta, here is my objective opinion of what i think it is; its a place where the "real community" go to constantly ***** about RHOS, the devs and and TWI.....its almost to the point where its hard to try and enjoy the classic experience......how about easing up a bit so people trying the beta can actually concentrate on gameplay.....

Upvote 0
Or how you can explain that a brandnew game has at peaktimes not more than 800 players (bots counted as well)?

Easy: lack of new content. Playing the same few maps over and over gets old fast.

The old fanbase is a part of the community, but not the biggest part. We need fresh players, and making the game more difficult instead of focusing on new maps & weapons will only result in less players.

There's no way that classic mode will bring back thousands of players, I'd even put money on that. But the discussion is pointless, as classic mode is being made anyways. Just wanted to let you know that not everyone agrees with splitting the already small community even more.

Upvote 0
Easy: lack of new content. Playing the same few maps over and over gets old fast.

The old fanbase is a part of the community, but not the biggest part. We need fresh players, and making the game more difficult instead of focusing on new maps & weapons will only result in less players.

There's no way that classic mode will bring back thousands of players, I'd even put money on that. But the discussion is pointless, as classic mode is being made anyways. Just wanted to let you know that not everyone agrees with splitting the already small community even more.

The man has a few good points there ..... :)

Upvote 0
Keep in mind that a lot of players are just holding on because of promised changes, and some are coming back for those. If TWI wasn't tweaking the game nor adding Classic mode I'm sure a good portion would just give up. I myself have no other FPS to go to, but would probably hardly play at all.

I myself find the Classic mode so far very promising and last weekend found myself at the computer much more than I planned considering it was nice outside.

Upvote 0

I don't mind if the community does not exceed the RO1 community. My personal view is that RO2 in relaxed and realism mode is an ok fun game but does not stand out and is rather short term motivation-wise. I never really got tired of RO1 but after 3-4 months of RO2 I can hardly play more than 2 rounds before feeling bored. RO1 and the new classic mode for part two give you more immersion, more feeling, more excitement. That is what stuck with me from RO1 and I very much welcome it. Play Classic mode and then hop on a server in Realism mode. The other night I felt like the easter bunny on cocaine and I hardly ever missed a shot. Too easy...to fast and I do not like that. Plenty other games like this which just do not appeal to me but maybe to you which is fine

Upvote 0

Once again: Classic Mode is a programming task. Maps, weapons, and other content are jobs for the art team. Believe it or not, people on the development team have specialized tasks. Coders code. Mappers map. Mappers do not code, and vice versa. Classic mode does not impede the development of new maps.

See this post and my last post. You don't get it.

Except a lot of players just might come back, leaving those who enjoy RO2 as it is to play it the way you want to while the influx of new or returning players moves over to Classic. Your place in the world is not changing.

The man has a few good points there ..... :)

No, he does not.

Upvote 0