• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What is classic game mode?

Once again: Classic Mode is a programming task. Maps, weapons, and other content are jobs for the art team. Believe it or not, people on the development team have specialized tasks. Coders code. Mappers map. Mappers do not code, and vice versa. Classic mode does not impede the development of new maps.

See this post and my last post. You don't get it.

I'm a programmer myself, so I get what you're saying. However, I stick with my point. First of all because there's still a lot of things that programmers can improve (cannot phrone here, gun shooting out of the hands and lots more).

Second, there's also a management part in it. Tripwire has a budget available for this game (how much time they can put in for new content, modes, bug fixes etc..). They can shift their resources to fill in that budget as they wish. They have other projects going, so depending on the planning, they could make more map makers available for this game at this time. It's more complicated than how I put it here, but saying the programmers would be out of work without the creation of classic mode is wrong.

Except a lot of players just might come back, leaving those who enjoy RO2 as it is to play it the way you want to while the influx of new or returning players moves over to Classic. Your place in the world is not changing.

We'll have to see, but I really don't believe it will. The diehard RO1'ers are a minority of the total sales amount. Why not try to please the majority in the first place, and if there's money left do what you can for that minority, it only makes sense.

Upvote 0
My take on this is simple, like classic or not its gotta be tried

We've tried the " will be all things to all men approach" and player numbers speak for themselves

Now wether classic will bring in players or not i've no idea but it may stop even more from leaving which is a must, i suspect many of the disilolutioned may well return as this is closer to the game they wanted

It will have little or no impact on the game as it stands so those that are happy can continue to play the version they like

Personally having tried classic i feel its better thats my taste, my not be everyones.

As for slowing delevopement well those testing classic could argue there actaully speeding up delvelopement they've stress tested the new map found and reported bugs etc

But the truth is as someone already said there are different teams working on different stuff so the overall impact will be less anyway

Upvote 0
I'm a programmer myself, so I get what you're saying. However, I stick with my point. First of all because there's still a lot of things that programmers can improve (cannot phrone here, gun shooting out of the hands and lots more).

Alright I respect that. Unfortunately TWI did lose a programmer recently but I want to say that they hired some new guy(s). I still believe there exists a firm division of labor within the game development process.

Second, there's also a management part in it. Tripwire has a budget available for this game (how much time they can put in for new content, modes, bug fixes etc..). They can shift their resources to fill in that budget as they wish. They have other projects going, so depending on the planning, they could make more map makers available for this game at this time. It's more complicated than how I put it here, but saying the programmers would be out of work without the creation of classic mode is wrong.

If I recall correctly, they have a team of four mappers (credited). Mamayev is one map being pushed out, but I can't comment on the work done or being done by the other mappers on the team. I do not believe the programmers would be out of work were it not for classic mode, but I do believe that a radical overhaul of game mechanics is required for the long term survival of the game. Reactions to classic mode have been largely positive on the beta forums, and that sort of good word is what can bring an influx of players in. For all we know, new content is right around the corner as well and the release of classic mode might be coupled with new tanks and such, etc. I am not privy to everything happening behind the scenes and can really only speculate.

We'll have to see, but I really don't believe it will. The diehard RO1'ers are a minority of the total sales amount. Why not try to please the majority in the first place, and if there's money left do what you can for that minority, it only makes sense.

Perhaps they constitute a minority in sales figures (then again, Ostfront had next to no marketing aside from word of mouth) but I would say that the majority of people who still care about the franchise and any future it might have are fans of the original game and mod. I would think that there were many people who bought the game and decided it was not for them, then never looked back and went off to play COD or BF. Then you have the Ostfront vets for whom the game is not for them yet and they want for classic mode to succeed and to help the series regain some semblance of its identity.

You are trying to go in circles.... :confused:

Let's just say I agree with the OP.;)

No Mike, I am not. I pose a question, you dodge it, because you cannot answer or are simply unwilling to. Also, unless you haven't been paying attention, the OP is Ozz13 and seems to be looking forward to classic mode. :confused:

Upvote 0
It's a downgraded version of the game for people who can't let go of the past.

So developers are spending a lot of time taking good things out, instead of developing cool new thing such as maps, vehicles, weapons etc...

Those PEOPLE, have kept RO alive for years, and still do with RO and DH, and those people also expected a similar experience in RO2, but they got a arcade version and the game is nearly dead because of that. Now in CM we have less smg's, before that we had like 5/6 on each team and most of them are spray and prays.

And Classic Mode is a mode you can choose to play, if you want to be a arcade cod kiddy running and gunning in close quarters, you can keep playing the old mode.

Upvote 0
Nearly everyone I played RO2 with during the beta and at release always had the same complaints : the game was shallow. This included players new to the RO franchise and those who had played ost front (and some CA before that). It's a real problem when people who play mostly battlefield games think there's a substational lack of teamplay in a game when those games have minimal teamplay at best.

No matter what you think the reason was for RO2 falling on its *** it was not one single thing. It was quite a lot of things that caused it:

1. Lack of promised content - not really a big one but a lot of things like the multiplayer campaign are only showing up now
  2. Tourists - these people will not stick around no matter what, they just play the flavour of the month game and leave. Don't even try to attract these people as they're usually bad for the game in the first place other than direct income. They are the majority.
  3. Shallow gameplay - No teamwork, no patience, no planning or caution. Just run around charge at the enemy and if your team can shoot straight you'll generally win. This can entertain those who just like the sounds of guns going off and gettin sick kills but even they'll get bored. For those who came from more of a sim background(and RO: Ost) it just makes you wonder if you accidently booted up CoD instead of RO again.
  4. Bad game mechanics - A lot of game mechanics were changed from RO:Ost to RO2, usually with the emphasis of realism. This was a well intended change but it generally made the game less realistic in the long run. Games simply can't emulate real conditions on the battlefield so things that are quite realistically implemented lead to unrealistic gameplay. A big one is the lack of sway.
  5. SDK took too long - custom maps are still hard to implement and many servers dont even bother running them.
  6. Bots - bot farming servers have ruined the game as it meant players would spread out amongst servers instead of occupying a few. This doesn't sound so bad but think for a moment, when you look at the server list and you don't see a single near-full or double digit server do you just join one of the random servers with just one person in it or do you just quit the game hoping that there will be people playing later? I personally think to the latter - that's why nobody plays.
Classic mode is trying to fix a lot of these problems and anybody with a functioning brain doesn't just want RO with new graphics they want an actual good game. RO2 fell a couple feet short of that.

Upvote 0
It's a downgraded version of the game for people who can't let go of the past.

So developers are spending a lot of time taking good things out, instead of developing cool new thing such as maps, vehicles, weapons etc...

Can't let go of the past?

People were expecting a spiritual sequel to RO OST.

Does this really have to be discussed again? Tripwire tried to make the game more accessible e.i. dumbed down / mainstream friendly on the expense of the old playerbase. It failed. The codplayers ditched the game and complaints started to popp up from the original fanbase itself. Its very obvious that few RO players prefer these ''cool things'' that you want.

There is really no need to discuss it further. A decision for a solution have already been taken. Its RO CLASSIC mode. If you think it's waste of time ask tripwire why they wasted time to re-invent and/or invent features that few people clearly didn't want in the first place. All what these features did was creating a hell of a fuss with loads of complaints and pushed away people from the game along with bugs, glitches and unstable gameplay.

But maybe it doesn't even matter now. Because its all history. All what matters now is living in the moment. If you wish to play RO2 you can still do it. If people still play it, that said.

Upvote 0
Obviously, you felt it needed to be. One can only wonder when the TWI BASHING will cease! :cool:

I'm wasting my breath but criticizing decisions and the end product isn't 'twi bashing' it's called criticism. Tripwire isn't a person, RO2 isn't a person either. One is an organization, the other it's product. Both are open for criticism especially when those who purchase aforementioned product are unsatisfied with it.

It's only when the criticism is 'tripwire is run by dumb ****ers' is when it's going too far and isn't constructive in the least, and that post had nothing like that.

Upvote 0
Most games don't get 2 chances to launch..you either hit the ground running or die in the first few months. With classic the game may actually feel like the real launch to people who didn't like a bunch of RO2's gameplay changes or the bugs/performance issues. The game may actual feel like the real deal, like RO 2.5

This is not a case of people just wanting Ostfront with new graphics like some would have you believe. Tripwire could have done 10x the things they did with RO2 while still being in keeping the the general goal or feel of RO. Gritty tactical realism is just not to be found in cheesy unlocks, instant iron sights while sprinting, easy weapon handling, level up fanfair, hit sound indicators (I would actually rather have a tf2 style sound than the current implementation), Cod style sway/recoil, removal of wound effects, intrusive HUD, unimmersive English dialogue at inappropriate times (through walls) etc

The grittiness of Ostfront just isn't there really. It feels like a vidya game or a war movie rather than an actual war like RO always did. I don't feel the teamplay or desire to win like in RO. This isn't to say RO2 didn't bring improvements because it blatantly did but it was spoiled with the above additions

Thousands tried the game and found it lacking. We'll never know how much better it would have done with all the clans and communities coming to it and actually still playing now, but we might get a taste of that with classic mode even if its not as many players as there could have been with a real RO launch. I want to see clans and communties like Splat, FMJ, DBDUK, Core etc and new clans with active servers in RO2..loads of clans/communities came back for the launch but quickly disappeared soon after due to not liking RO2 and the lack of communication or willingness to take complaints seriously from TWI. ROLadder closing was quite unfortunately timed, but that needs to be overcome too with a new ladder the playerbase wants to get involved in.

Upvote 0
I'm wasting my breath but criticizing decisions and the end product isn't 'twi bashing' it's called criticism. Tripwire isn't a person, RO2 isn't a person either. One is an organization, the other it's product. Both are open for criticism especially when those who purchase aforementioned product are unsatisfied with it.

It's only when the criticism is 'tripwire is run by dumb ****ers' is when it's going too far and isn't constructive in the least, and that post had nothing like that.

You certainly are..... wasting your breath. If I see remarks like Tripwire "wasted time to reinvent" I see that as both bashing and insulting.

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM
is entirely acceptable - sarcastic, insulting criticism is just bashing. Hasn't there been enough of that hateful, bully-boy garbage?

Upvote 0