• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What brought you to Red Orchestra?

Speaking of all these fond memories, I'd love to see some dedicated and talented mapper remake some of the best mod maps for RO2. I'm talking awesome maps like Moscow Highway (OH YEAH!), Tractor Factory (Minus the nuke-nades ;)), Donets, Berlin, and Jucha. Those maps were the **** and I have always wanted to see them return to RO1. Now that RO2 is coming out, it would be even more awesome if someone would do it that was around in the mod days to remember.

:IS2:

Upvote 0
While in a BF3 forum i saw mention of the upcoming Red Orchestra 2 release. I never played the first one as i was playing Fogotten Hope at the time. Then i drifted into COD4 and it's sequels.Now im bored too death of these type of FPS shooters and have a need to return to a proper battlefield experience.PS i have not been back to the BF3 forums but i keep an eye on this one.

Upvote 0
I NEVER played much shooters before RO. ( well the occasional COD ofc but that dident really grabbed my attention for too long ) I was into ww2 RTS and modded alot of them, mainly doing reskins and some stuff here and there. Due to that i got a job at a german games developer/publisher and one day sat with some beta testers who played ro. ( during that time it was about the distribution of the boxed version in germany i guess ) I looked at it and found it really intrueging. Anyways, i kinda forgot about it due to ****loads of work. One day i was strolling though some market place and saw a boxed copy. I picked it up first for the Tank Combat but quickly got addicted to the infantry side....well now 6 years later its kinda still the only shooter i play regulary.

I like games that present a challenge away from the pampered linearity of "modern" games. It far mor entertaining for me to think and overcome the enemy through outsmarting them instead of just running in like a complete retard. Its like with my new love "man of war". Its detailed, clever and you need to THINK if you want to win. Besides...the clanmatches i had with {Core} where some of the most intense adrenalin soaked hours i had with my pc so far.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i played ut 2004 A lot, someday i fou d a mod called killing floor wich i loved very much. i always thought man please make it a standalone game then one day on moddb i saw the news from alex 'killing floor goes retail' my dream came true.

i first heard of tripwire that time and though well okay i will wait for it to be realesed. i pre ordert it and found a community to play witch( oh no the realese day..... realese should havebeen at 8p.m. here in germany but was on like 1 a.m.) i played till 7 a.m. went to school without sleep came fro
school and played till 3 a.m

after 2 weeks i thought didnt they made another game? yeah they did it is called ro: ost bought it loved it playing it and darkest hour ever since ( and i wasnt even bored from kf)

all my love goes to my (since 2009) favourite developer tripwire interactive from whom i will buy every game blind

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am one of the people who regret not getting it earilier. I started with CoD and kept playing it until MW2. During this time I played some CS:S and loved Raven Shield. Even played in a clan for 3 years for these two games.

So the middle 'phase' was just some CoD4 and MW2 for a year or two. I just got k/d ratio's of 3 on average (slightly exaggerated) so changed to pistol owning the crap out of people to reduce that to 1.5.
Since that wasn't as fun in MW2 and MW2 had some other problems, I was glad BC2 came along. It had some more fun team elements and wasn't as easy as CoD.
However than BC2 decided to kick me everytime I played in a server for 10 minutes, since that wasn't fixed after half a year, I also decided to not buy the next Battlefield.
So then Blobs came out... I was actually quite disgusted by the game, paying 60 euros for some new weapons and maps was just too much. (edit: the free weekend confirmed my feelings:D)

[Dec 2010] So when looking at the Blops forum, I suddenly noticed a weird topic:
[paraphrased]"Don't buy this game, wait for this one!".
In this topic there was a link to a fun trailer with some russians getting blown to bits in a very nice manner. I was sold on the spot and I went to the Tripwire forum. Too bad the game wasn't out yet, so I decided to buy RO1 in the meantime.
I really hated myself for never noticing Red Orchestra before. Although I hate the pixel hunting (shot half a pixel yesterday, and it wasn't even 200 meters) I loved all the rest and played it ever since.

Inconclusion, I have always been a CoD player until blops killed it for good. So I am the perfect example of a CoD player turning to the RO franchise. RO1 saved the day and RO2 will save tomorrow:IS2:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Heard about it when they started developing the mod, it sounded fresh and promised me something I hadn't seen before. When it got released as beta I bought UT so I could try it out. First memories are of a large dark street lined with omnious buildings leading towards some sort of square and all we had were rifles. I was so lost and never reached the square.

I've played it on and off for the last couple of years and I allways return to it because of the immersion. This is the only game where I can feel part of a group: advancing behind halftracks with other players, hunkering down behind it to avoind enemy small-arms fire, actually working WITH the players in my team. It gives me an adrenaline rush that no other game have offered yet.

Upvote 0
I stared with mod. First map I played was "Krasnij Oktyabr" Red october plant :)
It was such an experience. I was total noob and killed a lot of my team mates. But the croud was forgiving. People actually were helping me out with learning, and that spirit was wonderful.
Ofcourse I was hooked because the kills were so rewarding.
Can not wait for RO3 :)

Upvote 0
I belong to a multi Tactical realisam clan, who has been playing COD for sometime.

I am sick and tired of been treated like a second rate game player with activision and COD, andI am looking for a new game to get me out of the stagnant rut of COD especially as I enjoy playing Tactical realism WW2 games. And beleive that RO2 is the game to do this.

hoppie

Upvote 0
... I was total noob and killed a lot of my team mates. But the croud was forgiving. People actually were helping me out with learning, and that spirit was wonderful...

haha when I first played I shot a guy because he had a red name ... I thought red must be bad... ended up killing our sniper :eek: (didn't know at the time).

Took his gun and felt like a king. he thought thats why I killed him at first, but told him why I did it and he loled. I felt so stupid. :D

Upvote 0
I've always been kind of a hardcore fps player.
Was playing competitive already with cs1.5 back in the time with LANS and awesome gaming parties :rolleyes: good times... played a lot of dod and Quake3 too :p
Switched then to cs1.6 with a lot of activity in online comps, then my clan of the time due to irl and studies got some ppl leaving and it was the end of it.
Searched for smthg fresh and new and a friend of mine who played with me @ cs1.6 let me try ut2004. I was amazed by the free feeling u had jumping from a wall to another... u had to master another skill than aim to pwn : movement ! i played then a lot of ut2004 with a fun clan that time... and found the existence of RO:OST one saturday morning with a friend browsing through steam... and i didint leave my computer screen till sunday night :p
:IS2: sadly i met my gf not so long after :D

Upvote 0
Heard about RO2 at the MOH forum back in November 2010 (when it was clear EA didn't care about additional free content for MOH). So came over here, checked out the vids, looked really awesome, bought RO1 for me and a few friends, DL'd DH also and haven't played anything else since. LOVE THEM BOTH!!

And the community too, lots of great ppl playing RO & DH still. Big love to you all!

Upvote 0
I remember somehow I found a mod for ut2004 on some website where they categorised mods. It was RO: Combined Arms 3.0 I think. Opinions about it were quite positive so I gave it a try.

I loaded my first map. After fooling about for a while there were a lot of thoughts inside my head.

How the hell is it a MOD? How is it possible that it was so much better than a full retail game? The textures on the guns were so good, very detailed and high res. The weapons sounded like a gun should sound like in real life. The recoil just amazed me. I felt like I was shooting a gun not some waterpistol. One single shot and you were dead. Not to talk about tank interiors, and the 3d scopes, reload animations, and I could go on and on... In my opinion, it was revolutionary. Ahead of the competition. And it was a MOD.

It changed my view on games forever.

Upvote 0
Well, if I remember correctly myself and a couple of friends were pretty miffed how Valve had ruined Day of Defeat and we were looking for something else to play. I think someone was looking at moddb and found this eastern front mod for Unreal 2004 of all games.

Well, we tried it and it was just love at first sight. By the holy lightning of god almighty, the heavy feel of those weapons was just pure, unadultered win. I'm sorry to say it but most of the Ostfront weapons pretty much feel like toys by comparison.

Upvote 0
I had a little LAN set up at home and was always looking for stuff to play with teh kid's, WarCraftII, Half-Life, done some bot pathing on the maps that came without.
Been UnRealing since day 1, so RO came along naturally and it was so different from everything else out there that I'm still here...

My kid's used to share the keyboard and mouse (10 minutes each) and Internets was limited to a couple of hours a week so half an hour each for myself the two boys and for mum, mum used to miss her turn more often than not :D...

My, how things have changed...

Upvote 0