• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What brought you to Red Orchestra?

I think I was playing DoD at the time, and already interested in WWII FPSes. I had Unreal Tournament 2004, and saw info on Red Orchestra in the Make Something Unreal Contest. Downloaded it and got hooked at beta 3.0 or 3.1 (whichever one they first put in tanks - when it was all hitpoints).

I still remember the crude prone hit boxes, since UT obviously didn't have prone - they were fat cylinders with the diameter of a human body. Now they're talking bone hit detection in ROHOS.

Upvote 0
I think I was playing DoD at the time, and already interested in WWII FPSes. I had Unreal Tournament 2004, and saw info on Red Orchestra in the Make Something Unreal Contest. Downloaded it and got hooked at beta 3.0 or 3.1 (whichever one they first put in tanks - when it was all hitpoints).

I still remember the crude prone hit boxes, since UT obviously didn't have prone - they were fat cylinders with the diameter of a human body. Now they're talking bone hit detection in ROHOS.

Pretty much a mirror image of me!

Reactions: Mormegil
Upvote 0
I started in a Tactical Realism MOHAA clan in 2005 where our servers were modded to create as realistic a gameplay as possible at the time. We moved to COD2 with the rest of the TR community and I really enjoyed it. On a good server with the right mods and players it was great. I'd heard a few people talk @ RO, but no one I knew had any experience with it. Once COD4 came out, realism started to take a back seat in my clan and the rest of the TR community and the long downhill slide started. I gave up with my clan and it's choice of gaming styles after WAW. While searching for an alternative game and a more realism oriented community, I found both ARMA and RO. At long last! My brethren! :D

I'm really happy to see other TR COD refugees making their way over and can't wait to get my hands on HOS.

Upvote 0
Well, it was '09 in the Steam store when I found Red Orchestra for 5$ WOOT! so I decided to buy it. Played for 10 mins in practice, got blown to pieces by a tank and I got hooked to the game so bad that I couldn't stop playing it! :D I mean, It was (and still is) one of the most hardcore realistic FPS shooters out there! I never knew I could come across such an awesome game for 5$! Hell, I would pay 30$ for it! :)
Now that RO2 is coming out soon, I wet my pants everytime I hear something new about it! :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have had a lukewarm attitude toward first-person shooters at best, and have never played Red Orchestra. However, the fact that Red Orchestra 2 deals with the battle for Stalingrad intrigues me greatly and I intend to purchase the game when it comes out.

Though I have no personal connection to the Eastern Front as does the OP, I did meet a German survivor of Stalingrad while doing contract work in Mainz in 2004. His name was Heinrich and he was 85 years old.

He told me that he had served as a heavy machine gunner in the Wehrmacht, got wounded at Stalingrad, and was lucky enough to have been airlifted out before the final collapse of 6th Army. After he recovered, he was conscripted into the Waffen-SS , eventually participating in the Battle of the Bulge (I thought he mentioned having served in the 3rd SS Panzer Division [Totenkopf], but that unit served only on the Eastern Front - our conversation was solely in German, so I might have misheard). I have a suspicion that he may have been involved with Kampfgruppe Peiper and the Malmedy Massacre, but frankly I did not have the guts to press him on the issue. At the time of our acquaintance, the siege of Fallujah was in full swing in Iraq. When I asked Heinrich his advice as to how we (the U.S.) should deal with the insurgents holed up in the town, he simply fixed me with his glacial stare and replied "Alles muss weg" (everything must go). Intrepret that how you will!

My encounter with Heinrich and my long-term interest in the Eastern Front have thus piqued my interest in this game. As previously stated, I have very little experience with first-person shooters, but it seems that this game will depict the battle for Stalingrad in a gritty, realistic, and non-cartoonish way. I also look forward to the mods that should inevitably crop up thereafter, and would love to play as an Italian or Rumanian soldier as well.

Edit: Upon further reflection, I recall Heinrich mentioning he had been in the 2nd SS Panzer Division, not the 3rd. At the time, however, I mistakenly thought that the 2nd (Das Reich) was the Totenkopf division, and continued to believe this until researching the matter for this post. Also, I discovered Kampfgruppe Peiper was formed from the 1st SS Panzer Division (Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler), so fortunately Heinrich was probably not a part of the former formation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Private Who?
Upvote 0
The free weekends. I was going to buy DoD:S for $20 even though I thought it wasn't very good. I tried DoD:S on the free weekends as well. I played RO on a free weekend once shortly after and I had no desire to ever play DoD again. I eventually played it twice more on free weekends before I found a copy locally and bought it.

Been playing it ever since.

Upvote 0
I started In Enemy Territory, then moved on to BF1942 and all its mods for a couple of years. Played CS:S while waiting for BF2. When BF2 came out it was the only game I played for 2-3 years, played Project Reality a lot too.
Then COD4 came out and I only lasted a couple of months before getting bored, lucky there was this awesome mod called "zombies mod" I got a few more months enjoyment out of cod4 because of that. Then I moved onto an awesome Source mod called Insurgency, first time I had played with free aim, and I was hooked. Last game I got was Bad Company 2 and i felt ripped off,
I was bored after a month. I see the same thing happening with BF3 so I went looking for an alternative.

Lucky for me Ro2 is here to save the day. I plan on spending the next 2-3 years playing this game.

Upvote 0
I was a COD1/UO player who was disappointed with the lack of anti cheat in COD2 when it was first released October 2005 and there was no guarantee that COD2 would ever get an anticheat. At that time I noticed that Red Orchestra was getting mentioned a lot over at IWNation (which was the big COD hub at the time) as a possible alternative. I had never heard of the RO MOD before Roost so I looked at the media and it won me over. I bought Roost sometime in April 2006 just after release and was the first steam game I bought and I've been around since ;)

**Edit and I've been stuck with this bloomin awful name since and it's about time Yoshiro changes it for me
icon_lol.gif

Last edited:
Upvote 0