• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Weapons on the ground now vanish between rounds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steg

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 10, 2009
So Yoshi says that in order to make room for the new weapons, they had to free up some memory, so weapons on the ground will vanish between rounds.

No more stockpiling! Also, more frantic weapon trading during trader time! I wonder if this applies to ground spawn weapons, also.

So, does the community generally have a positive reaction to this change?

It isn't because of the new zeds, its because of the new weapons. Originally KF loaded all the weapons into memory all the time. But now with adding 7 new weapons, we had to free up some memory. So now only the weapons in play are loaded into memory. To do this the weapons have to disappear between rounds at the end of trading.

Upvote 0
What happens when someone dies? They lose their weapon? Seems kind of hard and necessary if you ask me. Not a big deal like I stated, but a better approach could have been taken.
You have read it wrong. At the END of the trader time (so start of a new wave) the weapons are removed from play (on floor only). The players who died have the whole trader time to pick it up.

Upvote 0
It doesn't bother me that the weapons will disappear when the new round starts but I'm a bit puzzled how seven weapons will cause memory problems.

Can you give the memory usage figures for the original weapons together and what it is with the additional new weapons? Maybe there's an optimization that Epic can help you with that could allow better memory resource usage?

Reactions: PirateGuy
Upvote 0
It isn't because of the new zeds, its because of the new weapons. Originally KF loaded all the weapons into memory all the time. But now with adding 7 new weapons, we had to free up some memory. So now only the weapons in play are loaded into memory. To do this the weapons have to disappear between rounds at the end of trading.

While at the surface this is not a big deal, however on difficulties such as suicidal or hell on earth this is quite big of a change. A lot of players would drop around strategically weapons such as rifle for rounds when they may run out of ammo holding a specific spot or pattern, and people would also buy and bring weapons for other player because they couldnt carry it durign trader round. This seriously takes away a lot from strategy on suicidal/hoe for a lot of teams. Yes players can adjust but I just wanted to mention this is in fact big deal. I assume pipe bombs planed 1 round earlier still stay around the next?

Reactions: the 1st wasted
Upvote 0
It doesn't bother me that the weapons will disappear when the new round starts but I'm a bit puzzled how seven weapons will cause memory problems.

Can you give the memory usage figures for the original weapons together and what it is with the additional new weapons? Maybe there's an optimization that Epic can help you with that could allow better memory resource usage?

The issue is for people with lower end machines. There's alot of people that are right on the line as far as memory is concerned. We don't want people that had enough memory to run KF before the patch to suddenly not be-able to run it due to an update. Also by doing this we can keep adding new content without having the memory get out of hand.

Upvote 0
Also by doing this we can keep adding new content without having the memory get out of hand.

Oh thank god for this. :IS2: I thought that this meant that with the new weapons, memory was getting a little bit tighter so weapons after that wouldn't be as doable.

Yay. c:

Also, I don't really have a stance on this eliminating weapon stockpiling. My friends might be annoyed by it, but I personally, do not stockpile.

Upvote 0
not enough ram nowdays? really? its so god damn cheap that i cant imagine that some one doesnt have enough ram already. why do we allways have to suffer because of people that play with calculators?

well anyway, i dont like that new feature at all. we usually play hoe with brute, and we almost need spare weapons all the time on wave 10.

if you really want to keep this, please add more ammo to the guns.

Upvote 0
The issue is for people with lower end machines. There's alot of people that are right on the line as far as memory is concerned. We don't want people that had enough memory to run KF before the patch to suddenly not be-able to run it due to an update. Also by doing this we can keep adding new content without having the memory get out of hand.

Like female DLC characters? or more voices? more zed types? =D

Reactions: the 1st wasted
Upvote 0
While at the surface this is not a big deal, however on difficulties such as suicidal or hell on earth this is quite big of a change. A lot of players would drop around strategically weapons such as rifle for rounds when they may run out of ammo holding a specific spot or pattern, and people would also buy and bring weapons for other player because they couldnt carry it durign trader round. This seriously takes away a lot from strategy on suicidal/hoe for a lot of teams. Yes players can adjust but I just wanted to mention this is in fact big deal. I assume pipe bombs planed 1 round earlier still stay around the next?

KF gives you tons of ammo, I have gone 3 waves on HoE as a commando before I ran out, several times. If you are constantly running out of ammo, you need to manage it better. Most classes you can skip a trader and still have enough for the next wave.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.