• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Victory for Team Realism?

But apparently, you are the minority.
This is true. And don't get me wrong, I'm sure KF2 will be realistic enough for me as the first one was and they said they'll be addressing some of the realism issues. I just want people to understand that realism doesn't have to ruin a game. ArmA is a simulator, not a game, that isn't what you should expect from a realistic game. I'm saying that a game can play like Killing Floor and still have realistic qualities.
Realistic qualities can be simple things like good hitboxes and realistic weapon damage.
And realistic weapon damage doesn't mean everything dies from one shot (which is unrealistic anyway) it can just be realistic damage relative to other weapons
i.e:
M16>AKM
KRISS V>MP5.
stuff like that.

Upvote 0
You make a gigantic post about realism and then toss out this idea. Seems like we get to cherry pick our realism. And if we're discussing realism, then ZED time shouldn't even be in the game at all, but I think most everybody still wants it in there.
The specimens themselves aren't even very realistic. You're picking and choosing right from the get go if you're going to put your game in a fictional world with even more fictional creatures.

Edit: (was writing and didn't see mrsirr's post)
realistic weapon damage
Balance should always take precedence over realism in a game like KF. No exceptions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The majority of KF fans are realistic - there's no minority. It's like Westboro baptist - the minority is just really freaking loud.

Kf2 doesn't look that unrealistic - and even then the playstyle more then likely will be realistic like Kf1 and sci-fi doesnt mean unrealistic. It "looks" unrealistic is about all you guys have to say.

ZED time is a very realistic reaction to stressors in life and is a very common thing in combat. Your brain goes into overdrive and takes in more through perception - its like overclocking your PC - thus why we remember traumatic **** for so ****ing long and crystal clear. It's just a biological response.

Plenty of Killing Floor is realistic. :D

Upvote 0
Balance should always take precedence over realism in a game like KF. No exceptions.
Absolutely, but by no means does realism have to break balance, just don't add overpowered guns. Something as simple as one gun doing more damage than another gun doesn't hurt balance. Balance is only hurt when you add something like a PTRD that could only realisticly do a ridiculous amount of damage. This can be remedied by refraining from adding weapons of this scale.
The kind of realism I'm talking about is as I mentioned above; simple things like 5.56 firearms causing more damage than 7.62x39 firearms, no aspect of gameplay is reliant on an AKM doing more damage than an AR-15.

Also yes to Kingjoker, people don't realize this happens because, unlike in Killing Floor, they aren't watching it happen to someone else but experiencing it themselves

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The majority of KF fans are realistic - there's no minority. It's like Westboro baptist - the minority is just really freaking loud.

Kf2 doesn't look that unrealistic - and even then the playstyle more then likely will be realistic like Kf1 and sci-fi doesnt mean unrealistic. It "looks" unrealistic is about all you guys have to say.

ZED time is a very realistic reaction to stressors in life and is a very common thing in combat. Your brain goes into overdrive and takes in more through perception - its like overclocking your PC - thus why we remember traumatic **** for so ****ing long and crystal clear. It's just a biological response.

Plenty of Killing Floor is realistic. :D

uh, how? except the ZED time (which is improbable, you become perceptive in dangerous situations, not somehow slow down time to the point it's a crawl like in the Matrix), and some of the weapons (LAW doesn't have a hatch, it's a one-shot, done deal. You shoot it, and dump it because it's no longer useful, even if you carry extra rockets with you, and I'm pretty sure you can reload Hunting Shotguns if you shot just one shell instead of the two). The entire setting isn't very realistic (somehow the entire military lost to shambling freaks who don't find cover? That seems more like a happy day for military personnel, FINALLY! Something that isn't hard to shoot at! It's very unrealistic how the entire country was not prepared for an event that occurred in a single region. News travels fast, believe it or not), and finally, the Zeds are unrealistic. Oh and the med-syringes are unrealistic too. From what's inside, that's not supposed to make your health go back to normal, but rather it should be reducing the feeling of damage inflicted.

There's plenty of unrealistic crap in KF1 and most likely there's gonna be unrealistic crap in KF2. Here's the thing, though: I like the unrealistic stuff. Gameplay>Realism anyday, any week.

Upvote 0
uh, how? except the ZED time (which is improbable, you become perceptive in dangerous situations, not somehow slow down time to the point it's a crawl like in the Matrix), and some of the weapons (LAW doesn't have a hatch, it's a one-shot, done deal. You shoot it, and dump it because it's no longer useful, even if you carry extra rockets with you, and I'm pretty sure you can reload Hunting Shotguns if you shot just one shell instead of the two). The entire setting isn't very realistic (somehow the entire military lost to shambling freaks who don't find cover? That seems more like a happy day for military personnel, FINALLY! Something that isn't hard to shoot at! It's very unrealistic how the entire country was not prepared for an event that occurred in a single region. News travels fast, believe it or not), and finally, the Zeds are unrealistic. Oh and the med-syringes are unrealistic too. From what's inside, that's not supposed to make your health go back to normal, but rather it should be reducing the feeling of damage inflicted.

There's plenty of unrealistic crap in KF1 and most likely there's gonna be unrealistic crap in KF2. Here's the thing, though: I like the unrealistic stuff. Gameplay>Realism anyday, any week.

If gameplay was the only thing that mattered we'd still be playing Asteroids and Pac-Man. (literally the bosses of gameplay)

Time slowing down bull**** is a very realistic thing. and it's been reported in the majority of troops, perception of time is an interesting topic - because it's just that - perception.

The thing was the counter attack to the bull**** clones was destroyed - thats the gist. There is a few things unrealistic about the guns - but thats for gameplay as you would like to say, but for you people to keep crying gameplay > realism. Realism is theme to the game and is what makes the gameplay oh so unique.

Killing Floor is nothing more then a wavebased game. It's galactica nothing more.

Realism is in Killing Floor - its no americas army, but you cant say the game is completely unrealistic. It's an alternative universe where clones took over the world and killed the majority of counterattacking troops - the gist is the ZEDs are far superior then the miltiary and then only a few survive (the freaks of nature who can survive this bull****). the story makes a lot of sense in the end.

and you could look at healthpoints like this -

0 = incapacitated.
1-100 = how close you are to being incapacitated.

Upvote 0
LAW doesn't have a hatch, it's a one-shot, done deal. You shoot it, and dump it because it's no longer useful
Admittedly the game doesn't say it's an M72 LAW, just a LAW of some kind, maybe a fictional LAW, tis a broad term.
Oh and the med-syringes are unrealistic too. From what's inside, that's not supposed to make your health go back to normal, but rather it should be reducing the feeling of damage inflicted.
Something to prevent shock and keep you from bleeding out would be enough to allow you to keep fighting even if you still needed medical attention later.

Upvote 0
If gameplay was the only thing that mattered we'd still be playing Asteroids and Pac-Man. (literally the bosses of gameplay)
I don't see how either of these games are 'the bosses of gameplay'. They were revolutionary for their time and great first steps but they're certainly not bosses. This is self-delusion.

Realism is theme to the game and is what makes the gameplay oh so unique.
It's what makes CoD unique too, right? This is another self-delusion.

Killing Floor is nothing more then a wavebased game. It's galactica nothing more.
Such an obvious oversimplification of Killing Floor to the point where it insults the game itself and the developers who worked on it.

and you could look at healthpoints like this -

0 = incapacitated.
1-100 = how close you are to being incapacitated.

Something to prevent shock and keep you from bleeding out would be enough to allow you to keep fighting even if you still needed medical attention later.
Get a chainsaw through you? Yeah, drugs will fix that.

You have to be deluded to believe any of these points. You're wasting people's time by clamoring for a gritty, realistic, zombie fps. And you know what? It's been there the whole time. Why not play that instead? Why do you have to ruin a game that has a chance of being different from every zombie game out there?

Upvote 0
I don't see how either of these games are 'the bosses of gameplay'. They were revolutionary for their time and great first steps but they're certainly not bosses. This is self-delusion.

It's what makes CoD unique too, right? This is another self-delusion.

Such an obvious oversimplification of Killing Floor to the point where it insults the game itself and the developers who worked on it.

You have to be deluded to believe any of these points. You're wasting people's time by clamoring for a gritty, realistic, zombie fps. And you know what? It's been there the whole time. Why not play that instead? Why do you have to ruin a game that has a chance of being different from every zombie game out there?

Self delusion is you thinking theres anything different between galatica and Killing Floor. Also saying CoD isn't unique, everyone mimicked CoD and you say it isnt unique? Those games created the basis of any game.

Games are ****ing simple - you have a reward system that you have to have in place to make it a game - and then add obstacles. You have a wave based game that intensifies - and punishes you for your mistakes - and get weapon upgrades to "spice it up" and then you are given time off - to intensify the shock of the game, to keep a replay value.

Killing floor = you have a wavebased game where you have to kill ZEDs and collect money/scorepoints that you trade in for weapons that aid you to eventually get to the next wave, and then the entire premise of the game gets confusing, because now you understand we have a wave based game where the only goal is to defeat the boss, no time limits, no scores to reach, you simply play the wavebased game for the fastest time, highest amount of cash, most headshots, self made goals - creating the replay value.

Don't be delusional and say theres no similarities to games.

That's like saying there's a different two records - everything in the end is nothing more then a remix of a remix, a recipe that gets a little tweak here and there.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Indeed it will, chainsaws aren't magical, what you have here is a laceration, the only immediate threat to life it poses is that of blood loss and circulatory shock caused by acute stress reaction, both of these can be warded off with chemical assistance.
Don't be stupid and say theres no similarities to games.
Calm down abit man.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I even said "oversimplification", not "there's no similarities". It really looks like you're just trying to get angry over nothing to start a flame war and I'm not interested in fueling your fire.

passive aggressiveness has no room in Forum posts.

There is no oversimplification, more so a overglorification of Killing Floor, and i love killing floor for everything it is and will be. :)

Upvote 0
While we are at it let's make all playable non military characters only be able to run according to the average top speed of said characters body mass index. Also ammo boxes need to basically be removed unless you break into a home or military base, but I kinda feel like those kind of places would be occupied by people already.

No more trader, I mean it's the same woman selling an infinite amount of guns and ammunition simultaneously from multiple locations? And what will she do with the currency in an end of the world scenario? Paper money would only be valued at the rate of people's faith that the world would eventually readopt its old monetary system.

Reloading weapons should not always go perfectly, sometimes a magazine should be dropped due to stress, likewise weapons should jam and sometimes not be functional anymore. Also all fences should be climbable, except by fat characters, and parkour is a MUST because I've seen people do it online. Basically there should be no part of the map unexplorable because people COULD get there if they wanted.

Drivable cars, it's not like they would all be out of gas right? Also planes, trains, bicycles and skateboards.

Better yet if you want to cloud up non realistic games with fantasies about realism, turn off your computer and step outside, that's as real as it gets. All sarcasm intended.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
While we are at it let's make all playable non military characters only be able to run according to the average top speed of said characters body mass index. Also ammo boxes need to basically be removed unless you break into a home or military base, but I kinda feel like those kind of places would be occupied by people already.

No more trader, I mean it's the same woman selling an infinite amount of guns and ammunition simultaneously from multiple locations? And what will she do with the currency in an end of the world scenario? Paper money would only be valued at the rate of people's faith that the world would eventually readopt its old monetary system.

Reloading weapons should not always go perfectly, sometimes a magazine should be dropped due to stress, likewise weapons should jam and sometimes not be functional anymore. Also all fences should be climbable, except by fat characters, and parkour is a MUST because I've seen people do it online. Basically there should be no part of the map unexplorable because people COULD get there if they wanted.

Drivable cars, it's not like they would all be out of gas right? Also planes, trains, bicycles and skateboards.

Better yet if you want to cloud up non realistic games with fantasies about realism, turn off your computer and step outside, that's as real as it gets. All sarcasm intended.

Would you like a cookie? I think you deserve one. =]

Upvote 0
There is nothing unreasonable about wanting a game to be reasonably realistic, it adds to immersion.
The reason people want realistic games is because they can't "step outside" and experience a zombie apocalypse.

I do not disagree with this statement, however, the danger of this line of thought is, where does it end? I constantly see crap all over the internet along the lines of "[insert game title here] logic". The more you give gamers, the more they want just beyond what they have, and you know what, I get it. But when you state expectations of a game that is already mostly done (assuming here, I don't actually know) you set yourself up for things to complain about.

These guys are gamers through and through. They won the make something unreal competition and with that money started a company and released Killing Floor. Non gamers don't just stumble upon an article online about making a computer game and go "that sounds neat, I like money, I'll give it a shot!" They want to make a fun game, they are spending TONS of time/resources making it, they want to create replay value and I'm sure they will continue off the basic concepts that make Killing Floor fun.

It's fine saying _____would be fun and ____too, however throwing in this "realism bar" to be above with no idea what the game actually plays like seems self defeating. The article said there were many ways for a specimen to die and that the gun mechanics and animations are going to be awesome. I believe them. And to me that's what makes Killing Floor fun.

The new engine will add so many options for mod content you cannot even imagine. When someone aligns their expectations with realism yet discredits many things about the game that are unreal it makes me believe they are simply using realism as a mask to ask for things they want.

And larkstongues42, I would love a cookie, perhaps chocolate chip? Right out of the oven?

Upvote 0
Just want to toss in my two cents: I find this whole debate a bit tiresome. Primarily because both sides (even the damn thread topic encourage this) are making arguments under the presumption that there are only two sides here: realism and gameplay. There's quite a bit of diversity within both camps. Someone might think the zed gun is unrealistic, and someone else might want realistic survival horror but find that SciFi weapons are reasonable.

And I'm sure everyone here can think of a few realism choices that are good and some that are poor. I feel that more functional dialogs can be gained if people could focus on specific design choices, with justifications that are more than just "because gameplay" or "because realism".

Upvote 0