• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

To settle the M38 Carbine discussion once and for all

These rifles where issued to MG crews, even to DP crews. They where issued so that they could use ammo of there own DP's and surrounding infantry for there M1938's.

I'm going to go on a whim and say that is false.
Not very often can you put MG ammunition in a rifle and get good results. MG ammo is often hotter to cycle the actions faster. Rifle ammunition would probably not work well with the DP28.
The specs between them are not the same. You wouldn't use M2 .50 cal ammunition in a Barret m82 Anti material rifle.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
its ok to do with 7.62x54r.
i run cheap surplus ammo through my 9130's and svt's all the time, no problems (just have to adjust the gas port on svt because of the crappy quality of it all)
i dont think there was a variant of 7.62R for mg's.

For MGs I'm just assuming there is. It would surprise me if there wasn't.
I do know there is 7.62x25 for the PPSH that cannot be run in the TT33 and vice versa, so there was a deviation in ammunition with the Soviets.

Most of the surplus ammo in the 'spam cans' is rifle ammo though for the 91/30.

Upvote 0
Not very often can you put MG ammunition in a rifle and get good results. MG ammo is often hotter to cycle the actions faster. Rifle ammunition would probably not work well with the DP28.
The specs between them are not the same. You wouldn't use M2 .50 cal ammunition in a Barret m82 Anti material rifle.

Where do you get this from? Usually you can do it just fine. Ammo intended for use in high-accuracy weapons (Such as the M82) tend to be of higher quality (And therefor expense), but you can fire either type through either weapon. That's the entire point of standardizing rifle and MG calibers.

Upvote 0
I do know there is 7.62x25 for the PPSH that cannot be run in the TT33 and vice versa, so there was a deviation in ammunition with the Soviets.

well yeah, and you wouldnt want to run 9mm smg ammo (like for mp40) in your glock or p38 (pre-b cz75 is ok though)

i got some 762tok star ammo in my cz52 once, broke the chamber and wedged the slide, fixed it and got new barrel.
but cz52 is bad example because its barrel is horribly designed, different from tt33.

you can run 762tok in a mauser c96, not sure if you'd want to do it a lot though.

i dont buy the spam cans of 762R, those are too expensive, instead i buy the surplus chinese mg (type67) stuff, theres a few duds, but it works most of the time.

Upvote 0
There are several variations of 7.62x54R.

For example, what I shoot through my 91/30 and SVT is the standard (post war) surplus light ball, designated "ЛПС" in the Cyrillic or "LPS" in English , it is a 147 grain steel core. These are designated with a silver bullet tip. However, there were also lead core, incendiary, armor piercing, tracer, and sniper versions.

Most importantly to this discussion, however, there is also a yellow tipped version, which is a 182 grain lead core heavy ball, designated "Д" in the Cyrillic, or "D" for the English speaking types. This has the same powder load as the LPS but is considerably heavier, which places more load on the receiver/chamber when firing. For this reason I do not use these in my rifles, but AFAIK this was the most commonly used LMG round for the Soviets in WWII.

Thus, technically either round can be fired, but the heavier ball just puts more stress on the rifle.

Excellent site for more info: http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinAmmoID01.htm

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'd love to see the M38 in the game. Honestly, I would just love to see more variety in the weapons as long as its realistic and believable.

Same. Loved both the M38 and the M44 in Ro:OST.

There was very little noticeable difference between them and the 91/30, but it's nice to have variety, especially if it wouldn't take much to implement. I would add it and make it slightly less accurate but louder with more recoil to account for it's shorter barrel. And of course, the encumbrance of a smaller weapon - slightly quicker to bring to the eye, perhaps a quicker bolt, etc.

It might be an ideal weapon choice for the engineers, squad leaders - even for assault troops.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Same. Loved both the M38 and the M44 in Ro:OST.

There was very little noticeable difference between them and the 91/30, but it's nice to have variety, especially if it wouldn't take much to implement. I would add it and make it slightly less accurate but louder with more recoil to account for it's shorter barrel. And of course, the encumbrance of a smaller weapon - slightly quicker to bring to the eye, perhaps a quicker bolt, etc.

It might be an ideal weapon choice for the engineers, squad leaders - even for assault troops.

I don't know if the game has this normally because I stick to the SVT-40 almost exclusively, how about you can sprint/walk faster with it? It's about a pound lighter than the 91/30.

Upvote 0