• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

To settle the M38 Carbine discussion once and for all

I don't really recall the M38 carbine having much functional difference from the M91/30 in Ostfront. The easier handling characteristics it has in real life are not easy to portray in a video game, hence it just becomes nothing but a skin.

The M38 in roost comparded to the MN91/30

Less accurate.
Faster bolting from hip.
Shorter model lenght.
Faster aiming down sights.
BAAAMMM recoil from hell.

That's it really, I liked the M44 most times over the MN91/30 on danzig. Cute gun :D

Reactions: Lone Rebel
Upvote 0
It would for me

Always german weapons this and german weapons that
and when a german thing is suggested everyone supports it before even knowing its history

but then i suggest a carbine wich was used alot....Bah!

Exactly. People go around begging TWI for Mg42 Luger and the short barreled K98 of the mountain troops but if someone asks for the M38 or god forbid the DT-29...

Nope.avi

I guess its always like that in games. people want to play with the marvels of ZE GERMAN ENGINIIRING

Last edited:
Upvote 0
people want to play with the marvels of ZE GERMAN ENGINIIRING

lol man, that's true!

I think russian could use a bit more variety in their arsenal (just don't give them AK47... pls, don't! :D ) and even cosmetic upgardes would be welcome and don't requires a lot of work to make. And the maxim with shield on wheels (on open maps) would be just awesome to have around!

Anyway, several german weapons were newer concept, not only in comparison to russian ones, but compared to the wolrd (not surely bolt action rifles, of course) so don't be surprised if people prefers those in the game ;)

Reactions: Nikita and Avtomat
Upvote 0
Before thinking about many great weapons to add. Think a little about balance too. If you add one weapon what do you add to the other team? Some weapons might not do much gameplay wise but, its phycological too. I would rather choose a team which more choice of weapons, even if the don't differ much.

Current guns.

German Weapons (total 10)
G 41(W)
Mauser C96
Scoped Kar98
PZB 784(R)
G 41 Scoped
MG 34 LMG
P38 Pistol
Mauser Kar98
MkB42
MP40

Allied Weapons (total 10)
MN9130
RifleScoped MN9130
AVT-40
SVT 40
DP-28 LMG
PPSH-41
STV-40 Scoped
PTRS-1941
Nagant M1895
TT33 Pistol

Upvote 0
a M1938 Carbine wont screw the balance....
This doesnt have to be a mirror balanced game
Because currently the germans have 3 times more unlocks wich add performance to there IRL performance(Wich screws balance), while the russians sometimes have to unlock things to get to there IRL performance!(The PPSH being the most pathethic example)
Sure things will change soon, but to me it looks like TWI....

compared to the M91/30, the M38 had far more recoil, shorter effective range (300 meters-400) and was much lighter

Upvote 0
compared to the M91/30, the M38 had far more recoil, shorter effective range (300 meters-400) and was much lighter

Yup. It being smaller also brings a huge advantage in urban combat too. Since its short, you can move it much faster indoors, you don't have to worry about it getting stuck in a window or door or whatever, wich is an issue with the 91/30 and the Kar98. But again, since the game's weapon collision system only works (slightly) when you are aiming down your sights, this isn't that important.
*sigh*
I wish RO2 had a good collision sys. I think there was a thread about this months ago, maybe some of you seen it.
well, I gone off topic allright. time to end it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm no modeler (although I would really like to learn), but it seems like it would be easy enough to take the existing Mosin model and chop out a length of the barrel, change the sights a bit, and boom! M38!
Yeah. And a new texture, recoil, sound, muzzleflash and maybe a new animation for the soldier using it.

They are very similar indeed, number 6 is M38 and number 4 is MN91/30 (5 sniper)
Only difference mainly is compressed barrel/shorter the sling is very close to barrel.

Could easily be made modify texture, recoil, muzzleflash.
-Problematic is sound, modifly current with referance with the old M38 from ROOST? Or maybe just take the old one from Roost?
-new animation for using it?

8 MN rifles 6'th is M38 and 4'th is MN91/30
Spoiler!

how2skate_com I for one prefer to have maps to be as historical accurate as possible.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The suggestion for the Mosin nagant M1938 carbine has been made several times and many times did people "Claimed" that the M1938 was made in low numbers and rare.
So that it doesnt deserve a place in RO2
yet the same people suggest MG42...

Now apart from that, Here are the production numbers of the M1938 mosin nagant carbine=

1939=34 508
1940=162 162
1941=419 065
1942=687 426
1943=978 297
1944=167 000

That maybe true and I would love the gun I game because I prefer carabines but to all this mkb haters (and I never use the mkb) I could say that the 8000 Mkbs were handed out to elite units on the eastern front the german 6th army totaly was a elite unit!

Upvote 0
The M38 in roost comparded to the MN91/30

Less accurate.
Faster bolting from hip.
Shorter model lenght.
Faster aiming down sights.
BAAAMMM recoil from hell.

That's it really, I liked the M44 most times over the MN91/30 on danzig. Cute gun :D
I don't remember it being faster to bolt, or faster down the sights, but you could be right. It honestly shouldn't be any faster to bolt then a regular M91/30. If they can make it have some sort of noticable gameplay difference, I would feel better about it being in HOS.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't remember it being faster to bolt, or faster down the sights, but you could be right. It honestly shouldn't be any faster to bolt then a regular M91/30. If they can make it have some sort of noticable gameplay difference, I would feel better about it being in HOS.

It aims faster DTS, quite noteble faster. But the hip bolt speed I could be wrong with. It's some time since I played roost so wouldn't suprise me if I remembered wrong.

Yeah would be nice with some more Bolt rifles, as most of the players use those on full 64 servers now. 2 FJ server I think on spartanovka each team with all classes full have about 18 riflemen.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That maybe true and I would love the gun I game because I prefer carabines but to all this mkb haters (and I never use the mkb) I could say that the 8000 Mkbs were handed out to elite units on the eastern front the german 6th army totaly was a elite unit!

One of those elite units had nothing than Pz 38(t). You would think that if they were actually considered elite, and if elite units got the best gear, they would have had nothing but the "long" versions of the PzIII and PzIV...

Upvote 0