• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

To settle the M38 Carbine discussion once and for all

theta123

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
The suggestion for the Mosin nagant M1938 carbine has been made several times and many times did people "Claimed" that the M1938 was made in low numbers and rare.
So that it doesnt deserve a place in RO2
yet the same people suggest MG42...

Now apart from that, Here are the production numbers of the M1938 mosin nagant carbine=

1939=34 508
1940=162 162
1941=419 065
1942=687 426
1943=978 297
1944=167 000

So 2.3 million rifles produced.....Rare? very uncommon? i think not
If we look at the numbers produced alone in 1940 1941 and 1942...all the years of the stalingrad battle... And then with the arsenal of Izhevsk not all to far away from the front..This carbine has a huge place in Ro2.

Source= For collectors only "The mosin nagant rifle" by terence W.Lapin. 4Th edition, North cape publications. I think militaria collectors like me know that these books are very reliable and accurate in history

The suggestion for the Mosin nagant M1938 carbine has been made several times and many times did people "Claimed" that the M1938 was made in low numbers and rare.
So that it doesnt deserve a place in RO2
yet the same people suggest MG42...

Now apart from that, Here are the production numbers of the M1938 mosin nagant carbine=

1939=34 508
1940=162 162
1941=419 065
1942=687 426
1943=978 297
1944=167 000

So 2.3 million rifles produced.....Rare? very uncommon? i think not
If we look at the numbers produced alone in 1940 1941 and 1942...all the years of the stalingrad battle... And then with the arsenal of Izhevsk not all to far away from the front..This carbine has a huge place in Ro2.

Source= For collectors only "The mosin nagant rifle" by terence W.Lapin. 4Th edition, North cape publications. I think militaria collectors like me know that these books are very reliable and accurate in history

To supplement this excellent post:

From the first page of the Wikipedia page on Stalingrad. The Wikipedia page. There's really not much of an excuse for doubting...

Reactions: theta123
Upvote 0
All fine by me

Another widely made claim for the M44 carbine=Only few where made in WW2. Only 50 000.

WRONG

50 000 Trail rifles where made in 1943 and sended to the front. Frontline troops where very impressed and fond of the weapon and production of the new carbine started in january 1944.

In 1944 alone= 3.54 Million M44 carbines where made
1945= 3.2 million

Production of the M1938 continued on the old M1938 lines, because bayonet production could only held up with the new M44 Carbines. The M38 and M44 are mostly the same, minus the side folding bayonet on the M44.

Upvote 0
So they sent a few m44 prototypes in 43. Hmm interesting, well on the matter of adding the m44. I have no problem with that. I am just thinking that TWI may want to focus on the battle of stalingard. Atleast for now, if not they add new battles from after the battle of stalingard, I doubt they have a reason not to add it.

Upvote 0
So they sent a few m44 prototypes in 43. Hmm interesting, well on the matter of adding the m44. I have no problem with that. I am just thinking that TWI may want to focus on the battle of stalingard. Atleast for now, if not they add new battles from after the battle of stalingard, I doubt they have a reason not to add it.

well i personally wouldnt like seeing the M44 in stalingrad

The M1938 is however a huge thing missing.

Upvote 0

The M44 had absolutely no chance of making it to Stalingrad. The first guns arrived to the front in late '43. The battle of Stalingrad was over by early february '43

Upvote 0
My understanding is that the M38, unlike the M44, was issued mostly to troops away from the front line. But that said it would've clearly seen action on the front line in large numbers. Easily large enough to justify its addition to the game many times over.

In RO1 I often used to favour the M38 because it looks rather nifty. But... I'd really miss that bayonet in RO2! :p

Upvote 0
My understanding is that the M38, unlike the M44, was issued mostly to troops away from the front line. But that said it would've clearly seen action on the front line in large numbers. Easily large enough to justify its addition to the game many times over.
The M38 was issued to engineers, ammo suppliers, machine gun crews, mortar crews, artillery crews cavalry and recon troops

These are all Frontline troops

Yes it was also issued to second line troops..But the M38 even saw action with frontline riflemen

Edit= Just reread it, the M38 was primarly issued to Engineer, Machine gun and mortar crews, Signalers and recon troops and ammo suppliers. These are in theory second echolon troops but these are still at the front nonetheless.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
the most debatable evidence as cited by the disliked mike on this forum states that 2 - 5 mkb's could have been around stalingrad.

From that the game extrapolates 3 to each team ( was about 15 on release ).

By all means, give the entire russian team the chance to pick the m38.

I would like to have the m38 as a backup as MG instead of a pistol. even if it meant only getting 20 bullets for it.

Upvote 0
I don't really recall the M38 carbine having much functional difference from the M91/30 in Ostfront. The easier handling characteristics it has in real life are not easy to portray in a video game, hence it just becomes nothing but a skin.

I beleive it was ever so slightly more inaccurate than the M91/30. And with it being shorter, made people hanging near corners a little less harder to notice. I think that's about it.

Upvote 0