• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Thoughts about a certain video

I'm shocked, shocked I tell you, that it's easy to kill completely oblivious targets with an automatic weapon from 10 meters or less. The L in LMG means that part of its intended use is for exactly that sort of thing. Is it great at it? No, and in the same vein, that video would've been done better by someone with an SMG. He switches to his pistol when he needs better accuracy. The one time the guy tries to spray through a wall at someone who took cover, his shots scatter so far that he winds up wounding the friendly in the room too.

What bothers me in the frag video are the graphics settings he's using. That's cheating, full stop.

Reactions: DiedTrying
Upvote 0
This is a problem in Ro2 I wished the mg was like the ones in RO1 while they didn't kick as much from a mounted position.You actually had to mount them from the hip grabbing the tripod and setting up before you could hip fire.That prevented the run and gunning we saw in this video.

Im pretty happy with the guns in ro2 recoil wise etc vs ro1 but the mg kicks too much from the mounted position and hipfiring is too easy...or fast.

Upvote 0
You, my good sir, have hit the nail on the head.

Everyone is trying to debunk the facts instead of focusing on the flaws. The MG34 can be fired from standing, it can be fired accurately in short burst, and it's not a flame spitting dragon that's impossible to tame. The flip side of all this, and something that Tripwire seems to have neglected, is the lack of any real weight behind the thing. You can move outside of the free aim zone with an LMG far too easily.

Adjusting within a small area shouldn't be any slower than a rifle considering the weight distribution of the weapon, but once you break that point it should be a bit slower than a rifle (turning 180 and the like).

I guess the list grows, but this kind of falls under Lack of Intertia.

-Paas

I created a thread that discussed a little bit of the weapons. There are basicly two ways (that I know) to make the weapon handling more reasonable.

a) Make it like in RO ost. High weaponsway, quite inaccurate weapons no ability to zoom in etc. This will force more realistic gameplay, even though the weaponhandling itself wont realistic.

b Add weight to all weapons. Turning a weapon around and making a dead stop is not possible. Especially not if you hold something heavy as an MG. The weapon won't stop precicely where you want if you turn it and make an instant stop; It may sway back a little, sway forward.. simply because we're made of elastic muscles and not steel. The weapons in RO2 basicly handles like they're made out of paper. Adding a float- and deadzone to the weapons would also make them feel a lot more realistic. In that way you get rid of the robotic way you move the weapons right now. It will also make it possible to move your weapon without turning your whole body around.

Then, there is of course another problem: RO2 promotes run and gun in terms of game mechanics but if the weapon handling in improved its less likely to happen.

I'm not to worried about this, I'm fairly sure TWI will fix this. I think it was not a conscious design decision from TWI to make hipping an LMG so easy.

The skillpoints, perks, unlocks, increased HUD details, the lockdown timer to promote fast gameplay, the ability to use bandage in 2 seconds, ability to spawn close to squadleaders, the mapdesign which promotes overcrowded maps with people runnning and gunning.... the ability to handle weapons like they're made out of light weight paper are not a conscious design decision either? Of course it is.

RO2 was aiming for a wider audience. It was made more accesible. This video proves exactly what people like. If you could take huge amounts of damage from gunshots, and regain health like in almost any FPS, even more people would like this game. These decision are made to attract more people and that's about it. 90% of all gaming companies does exactly this so it's not surprising. Will it be fixed? I doubt it will be fixed by TWI. Because this is what they were aiming for. Going back goes agianst their current philosophy about the game, it costs money, and they think it attracts less people. If anyone will fix this up it's modders. If TWI to fix it up which I strongly doubt, well, I will be very surprised.

Only the most dedicated players will be left and play this game. Unfortunately, this game doesn't attract these players right now, and neither will it attract the mainstream for very long simply because It's to hard and unforgiving for them. This game tries to be something it isn't and ends up aiming at an audience that doesn't exist.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
People need to watch the video all the way through, because it seems a good percentage of posters here neglect to see the part where he's accurately hip-firing it out the window at targets over 50 meters away.

Mekhazzio said:
I'm shocked, shocked I tell you, that it's easy to kill completely oblivious targets with an automatic weapon from 10 meters or less. The L in LMG means that part of its intended use is for exactly that sort of thing. Is it great at it? No, and in the same vein, that video would've been done better by someone with an SMG. He switches to his pistol when he needs better accuracy. The one time the guy tries to spray through a wall at someone who took cover, his shots scatter so far that he winds up wounding the friendly in the room too.

What bothers me in the frag video are the graphics settings he's using. That's cheating, full stop.

The Light aspect of the Light Machine Gun refers more to its mobility in a combat unit than simply being able to run around firing from the hip. It's meant to be easily displaced and redeployed as the squad moves forward, not for use as a heavier submachine gun as I've seen most gunners in RO2 using it.
Yes, you should be able to fire it from the hip, but considering the weight of the weapon and your movement as you're firing, the accuracy of the weapon would suffer a bit. Also somewhat disconcerting is how he immediately snaps back into firing stance as soon as he stops sprinting. The firing stance for the MG-34 from the hip is rather awkward; to be able to immediately get into firing stance as you sprint around and to still maintain so much control of a large weapon is pushing believability.
Even when standing still in the YouTube videos, you can see the people firing it don't have the best accuracy beyond very short range and they struggle to keep it under control. Yet since the open "beta" began, I've seen people regularly run out into the open with the light machine gun, firing from the hip at everyone within range and scoring a remarkable number of hits.

Upvote 0
Problem with German LMG on this video is that you can easy tell where you should aim while shooting from the hip WHEN YOU KNOW IT - I killed MG'ers who tried to do Rambo and couldn't hit me, because they had no idea how to aim from the hip. With Russian LMG it's a lot harder to hip-fire with precision - at least for me - and it doesn't have ammo unlocks too, so it's less abused I guess.

Upvote 0
This video is very disturbing. I had nightmares last night.

The MG 34 is not meant to be used in that fasion. Even Rambo with an M 60 wasn't that effective solo assaulting. This needs to be addressed or RO 2 is just another arcade game for kids. Increase the recoil and a trooper should become fatigued quick like 'runnin and gunnin' with 30 lbs plus a belt.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is a problem in Ro2 I wished the mg was like the ones in RO1 while they didn't kick as much from a mounted position.You actually had to mount them from the hip grabbing the tripod and setting up before you could hip fire.That prevented the run and gunning we saw in this video.

Im pretty happy with the guns in ro2 recoil wise etc vs ro1 but the mg kicks too much from the mounted position and hipfiring is too easy...or fast.

Pretty much this. With "balanced", not realistic recoil of deployed LMG, there is no point to deploy it because you can be more effective rushing and hipshooting everything (see video). While your character is running, you are less likely easy target. While deployed every SMG can shoot you out from any range. Too bad it was reported to TWI during beta phase and nothing done to it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
He switches to his pistol when he needs better accuracy.

Going by my memory, but didn't his barrel wear out and that was the reason for him switching over to pistol (either that, or he had thrown a grenade and the pistol was the first thing he switched over to), He did change the barrel while in Central Hall top floor, shortly after pistolin', so my memory tells me it was a worn out barrel.

Damn those Soviety Russians... they'd exploit the exploiters!

Upvote 0
Going by my memory, but didn't his barrel wear out and that was the reason for him switching over to pistol (either that, or he had thrown a grenade and the pistol was the first thing he switched over to), He did change the barrel while in Central Hall top floor, shortly after pistolin', so my memory tells me it was a worn out barrel.

!

Precisely

Upvote 0
which explains why he missed about 50% of his shots.

Ever heard about humanised aimbots? Last time I saw a screenshot of it, the program had sliders for things like accuracy, flicking speed, amount of humanised sway.

I've tried ramboing with the MG34 like that and to be honest, while I did get 3 or 4 kills, I really couldn't consistently hit anything past 30 meters while blindfiring.

Upvote 0