• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The problem with Protected Area & Dying:

Cpt-Praxius

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 12, 2005
Canadian in Australia
There's a debate going on in the Steam forums about the Protected Zones and dying shortly after the cap your in becomes a protected area when the enemy caps another objective and not having enough time to get out before you are killed, let alone finish reading the warning on your screen.

The common solution people have is to increase the time you have to get out of the protected area.... yet in some area, especially if you need to make it down a few floors on a building, is that 5-10 seconds isn't enough, and you can still easily kill people along the way.

Another option someone just suggested was for you to be teleported out of the protected area.... but I don't think many would like that idea any better.

I think perhaps the best solution is that if you're in a protected area, your ability to attack anybody is disabled.... therefore you can't get any cheap kills, yet you still have plenty of time to get out of the area without getting gibbed, regardless of how long it takes you.

The enemy can still easily kill you, yet you can't kill them while you're in the area.... but you still have a better chance of getting out of there than you currently do.

Just have the Protected Area warning pop up on screen, have your weapon in hand drop down off screen and not able to attack, so the only thing you can do is run the hell out of there as fast as possible before an enemy gets an easy kill.

Yes, it is too sudden death for me. I've only been fortunate a few times to do a 180 and run like hell whenever the message flashed only to be killed a second later trying to make an advance, however I was on a server running a beta map and there was a compass so this would help to show where you are on the map and where is verboten, eh

Upvote 0
The most dominat feature when spawn protection is moved up is that you don't let anyone stay behiend and take pop shots in the back of the enemy. Which is good. I'd like it to stay that way.

But regarding the insta gibbing -I like it but only for the insta gibbing spawn protection.

Other things to consider is nades. What if you cook one and run into a disable weapons protection zone? Would you hold it until you explode? Or maybe auto decock the nade, which is kinda impossible with the M1939.

Upvote 0
There's a debate going on in the Steam forums about the Protected Zones and dying shortly after the cap your in becomes a protected area when the enemy caps another objective and not having enough time to get out before you are killed, let alone finish reading the warning on your screen.

The common solution people have is to increase the time you have to get out of the protected area.... yet in some area, especially if you need to make it down a few floors on a building, is that 5-10 seconds isn't enough, and you can still easily kill people along the way.

Another option someone just suggested was for you to be teleported out of the protected area.... but I don't think many would like that idea any better.

I think perhaps the best solution is that if you're in a protected area, your ability to attack anybody is disabled.... therefore you can't get any cheap kills, yet you still have plenty of time to get out of the area without getting gibbed, regardless of how long it takes you.

The enemy can still easily kill you, yet you can't kill them while you're in the area.... but you still have a better chance of getting out of there than you currently do.

Just have the Protected Area warning pop up on screen, have your weapon in hand drop down off screen and not able to attack, so the only thing you can do is run the hell out of there as fast as possible before an enemy gets an easy kill.

I don't know if there should be any protected zones, whatsoever. Maybe, forward spawns would work that would be closer to the next objective. I know that for practical purposes, it wouldn't be much of a game if a mg could lay down and wipe everybody out that just spawned.
Maybe the CO could have the power to move the spawn point? So that, if the next objectives were equidistant to each other, he could have everybody spawn and attack the left side, for example.
I don't know how well it would work. If you were left behind enemy lines, you're one less guy that is defending the cap zone, and at least you wouldn't be vaporized like it is right now.

Upvote 0
Protected area in a war game is just silly..... Especially when the game is about Stalingrad, a town that got encircle... not only form the outside, but inside CQB where all mix up too....Russian going behind the germans trough the sewers and etc.... Stalingrad should not ahve any protected area.... If a soldier makes it behind you...you should be able to get killed by him. ( Now Im not talking about Camping at enemy spawn to kill them a second after they reappear )

Upvote 0
The idea of not being able to attack in protected areas seem like the best alternative amongst a number of not optimal solutions (of which I can see no optimal solution at all).

I don't agree with the people opting for removal of protected zones altogether. As long as there are spawn points, some sort of protection for the prevention of cheap spawn kills will be needed. It is not realistic granted, but neither is spawn points. This is a game and as far as gameplay goes, the OP suggestion seems to me to be the best solution.

The idea of teleporting back to spawn would be almost as great an annoyance as the current instadeath feature. Since the player has most likely spent some time and effort getting to the advanced position, being teleported back to square one (especially on the larger maps) would be most unwanted.

Regarding the cooked nade issue, I wouldn't mind that it was simply uncooked if one entered a protected zone. It is unrealistic yes, but it is the unrealistic lesser evil of a greater unrealism evil (instadeath).

Reactions: Cullis
Upvote 0
The most dominat feature when spawn protection is moved up is that you don't let anyone stay behiend and take pop shots in the back of the enemy. Which is good. I'd like it to stay that way.

Exactly this I highly dislike. Particularly in house-to-house fighting it would be much better if you really have to check "each" room and not just cap and kill the people inside. Actually that is like firing a redeemer rocket for UT3 into the building.

It's fine by me that you can't enter spawn areas but that's about it. This spawn protection areas sometimes really feel misplaced. At times you should actually still be allowed to go there you are already dead 25m ago. But when you should be dead already you can still walk on.

CommissarsHouse for example: The Water Refinery objective. If it has been capped by the Soviet team and the Germans recap it, you can no longer walk to nothern end of the objective. It's a no go that the objective's capzone is shrunk by a spawn protection area.

The other thing is when it comes to the final stand of the Germans. It's far too close to the spawn the Soviets can drive their T-34 tank. I can't tell you how bs this is to get picked off by the tank's hull mg everytime you spawn, cause the only thing you see is your character falling to the ground.

Same goes for GrainElevator:

As a Russian you can use the platform on the 5th floor and deploy an mg there, perfect spawn sweaping of both the first Axis spawn to the left and the advanced spawn left behind the Conveyor Tower. Same awesome feeling just like with the T-34.

If you as Germans try to get into the GrainElevator by using the grain depot next to the ladder case you are running into a protection area. I have never seen the Soviets spawn there, why the hell is there a protection zone?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Each player in a protected zone only gets points for one kill.
Each subsequent kill subtracts as TK, with penalties doubling with each kill in protected zone.

Thus if you spawnkill 10 people, you will get.

0 -2 -4 -8 -16
-32 -64 -128 -256 -512 points. That sums up to a very large number your average Pointfag will find abhorrent and his bowels will promptly void themselves and the stench of his foul excrement will cause a national panic...

Upvote 0
Spawns need to move on as players will have a to long run to the next objective. No spawnprotection will caused undesired spawnrapes.
As not all players care on how to get their kills.

It's a problem hard to deal with. Working on a level i face this problem.
When I choose to make an objective recapable both teams will have to run a certain distance to this objective. Attackers wil face the problem that the objective they need to defend has a decent distance and the new active objective is even be further away. An option is to make the objective so close to each other that the attackers wont have to spawn in the previous objective area and have a decent run distance to the new objective.

Another thing I tried is to make two spawns. One close to the objective attackers needs to defend and a spawn for attackers closer to the new active objective. So the attacking players have a choice to pick the defend or attack spawn. Same goes for the defenders.

But to be honest this all need testing and its not easy to deal with.
No spawnprotection ain't an option.

Upvote 0
Protected area in a war game is just silly..... Especially when the game is about Stalingrad, a town that got encircle... not only form the outside, but inside CQB where all mix up too....Russian going behind the germans trough the sewers and etc.... Stalingrad should not ahve any protected area.... If a soldier makes it behind you...you should be able to get killed by him. ( Now Im not talking about Camping at enemy spawn to kill them a second after they reappear )

I agree with this dude. If a sniper or mg has a spawn point pinned down you should spawn from another point and make your way over and flank them and take them out, just like in real combat.

Get rid of this magical spawn protection BS. It's for pussies!
Stalingrad was all about going behind lines etc...
No such thing as "not fair" in war! :p

Reactions: The_Emperor
Upvote 0
That protection is so stupid! In real life ( this game is based on realism? ) if enemy passes by me what prevents me to shoot them in the back if they didnt cleared terrain properly?
But no, in "most realistic FPS" i must run back ( and maybe being shot while doing that ) or die where i am in few seconds... thats the one of stupidest things in this game!
Imagine that you are looking "Enemy at the gates" and Zaitsev instead of killing thoose germans at the beginning of a movie dies because germans clearly capped point behind him, with "protected area" message on your tv? :eek:

Upvote 0