• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The problem with Protected Area & Dying:

It's more unrealistic to be slaughtered by enemy artillery or sniper while being "teleported" right in front of them standing.

In RL you'd have a cautios apporach to the combat zone. It's just map design fault. If only they'd made some protected building spawn point at start, with many exit, trench sistem, cover, etc etc you won't have this problem.

Also, on capturing points, you could have an underground spawining point (like pavlov's 9th january basement) with different exits which is spawn protected. When germans own the point, they spawn there, and when russian captures it, they earn the spawn position. Simple as that ;)

Upvote 0
That protection is so stupid! In real life ( this game is based on realism? ) if enemy passes by me what prevents me to shoot them in the back if they didnt cleared terrain properly?
But no, in "most realistic FPS" i must run back ( and maybe being shot while doing that ) or die where i am in few seconds... thats the one of stupidest things in this game!
Imagine that you are looking "Enemy at the gates" and Zaitsev instead of killing thoose germans at the beginning of a movie dies because germans clearly capped point behind him, with "protected area" message on your tv? :eek:
that's "sofa-king" funny! how did i miss that post before!:D

Hello all

Can the spawn areas be removed in shipped maps with the SDK?

Or are they encripted?

The amount of times ive gibbed because ive walkid into an unmarked Protected Zone is ludicrous.

Id much rather deal with spawn raping.

Rgds

LoK
what are "shipped maps" the ones that came with the game? or the ones the modders are making? i think you can get rid of the protected area on either with the sdk, but that question is better asked in the map mod forum.

Upvote 0
The proper solution (Albeit the one that takes more work) is to move spawn and protected areas back so they don't impinge on the tactically-useful area around the contested points. All too often I'll try to get to a good flanking position, or a useful bit of cover just feet past the contested area, and it'll be protected. It's even more frustrating when that bit of cover is the only useful cover in the area, forcing me to fall back in order to be safe, while letting the enemy move right up to that better piece of cover uncontested. Protected area really screws over one side or the other far too often.

The absolute worst, though, is when you've got a "sniper" on your attacking team (Or someone simply AFK in the spawn) when you run out of reinforcements, and a good five-plus minutes on the clock. A team's protected area should go away when their reinforcements are up. It's there to prevent spawn-camping, so it's completely useless when there is no spawning to do, and it certainly beats waiting five minutes for that so-called sniper.

Upvote 0
For me in theory a totally open battlefield with no spawn protection sounds realistic and kinda cool. It's true that on a real battlefield you can get encircled, and supply lines can get cut off.

But on second thought the problem is that the "spawn" notion itself is unrealistic enough that the idea of being able to camp behind a point where soldiers pop into existence unaware of your presence behind them is not only highly unrealistic but highly distasteful to those getting shot at and killed as they spawn with diminished chance to even play the game properly.

I wouldn't expect a total lack of spawn protection to make the game more enjoyable --for me anyways.

There are some drawbacks and quirks of how it works now, some of them really frustrating. Let's just mitigate those. Maybe someone will make a brilliant mutator that can eliminate all spawn protection and I'll be dead wrong about it not being fun.

Upvote 0