• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The MP40/II and MG34 Saddle Drum + Perma Bayonet

The MP40/II and MG34 Saddle Drum + Perma Bayonet

• I do NOT want these freely available, Authenticity trumps Balance

Votes: 161 63.1%
  • I DO want these freely available, Balance trumps Authenticity

Votes: 58 22.7%
  • I have no opinion.

Votes: 36 14.1%

• Total voters
I don't understand how this work.

Only elite riflemen get rare weapons or we will finally see all assault troopers and SL running around wit hMP40 II.

Tripwire isn't going to let such a large portion of the team be able to carry them like that. I believe it's only heroes that get rare unlocks in that vein. Devs have said these things will be very, very rare, and as heroes are usually 1 per team, it likely means only heroes can use them.

Upvote 0
someone explain:

are there 2 different 'types' of unlock?

For Example:

common unlocks = bayo, ppsh drum mag
hero unlocks = 1.5x scope, mp40 II, silencer, mg34 saddle drum, (the avt40 and mkb 42 for those who didn't get DDE unlocks)

If so, the mp40 II hardly balances the drum mag of the ppsh as only one person per team could possibly have it, and only then if they choose to have mp40II over the mkb42 (unlock level dependant ofc)

Which makes me worry anyone will have mp40II to balance ppsh drum mags (drum mags SHOULD NOT BE HERO ONLY!)

I would rather asymmetric balance - mp40II is fine as hero weapon. Only one hero slot per team means it would be rarely chosen.

Also I hope only one 'type' of unlock per hero (which seems to be untrue due to pics of mkb 42 with both scope and bayo). This would, for instance, mean the revolver silencer was rarely chosen as other unlocks would be more useful in combat situations, with the silencer being only chosen by a hero player looking to use it in a more historically accurate manner e.g. reconnaissance behind enemy lines. I can accept one soldier per team doing 'sneaky' behaviour and relaying enemy positions to their team, as this may justify them getting rare equipment.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Last edited:
Reactions: MrLebanon
Upvote 0
Personally, my opinion falls in the middle of your first two options. I agree with a them being in the game for a hero, but not for the masses. The possibility of these items being used by common front line soldiers is there, our own soldiers in WWII had some pretty hot toys that weren't standard issue, like MOH recipient Tony Stein's ANM2 Browning .30 cal., or Patton's Single Action Army. Not everyone settled for mainstream, why should we?

Reactions: Makino
Upvote 0
What I don't understand: why detatch the bayonnet?

In RO1 you'd press the button to put it on at the beginning of the round anyways

unless you get sadistic pleasure from rifle butting ;)

The Bayonet is a solid heavy piece of metal at the very end of your gun, and as such it weighs it down and makes aiming more difficult. So it's a bit of a detriment when you're not actually using it, which is why you detach it when not fighting at close quarters.

Upvote 0
What I don't understand: why detatch the bayonnet?

Because it's realistic and also with bayonnet in rifle should make it more unaccurate when shooting.

Give the Germans some access to the PPSh instead of a scarce wonder weapon; they preferred it over the MP-40 and was adopted extensively among the ranks in Stalingrad. That would be a good historical compromise.

At the moment in game I pick MP-40 over PPSh any time, PPSh recoil is not realistic.

Upvote 0
I sincerly hope everybody won't be running around with a-historical weapon setups a week or two after release, that would completly destroy all enjoyment of the game for me as a historical buff and a veteran RO1 player.

However, iam perfectly fine with "heroes" having these rare items in small numbers per team.

Skjold - Commanding Officer of the 116th Panzer Division.

Upvote 0
100% agreed. All these rare weapons (MkB42 and AVT40) and unlocks (MG34 saddle drum, silencer for Nagant revolver and MP40/II) should be restricted to heroes only. Enemy weapons should be available for veterans though. Unfortunately it seems the only thing that is restricted to heroes is enemy weapons, while the rest is available either to veterans or everyone. :(
I beg you TWI, please make it as authentic as possible, at least in the full realism mode.

Upvote 0
I'm not so worried about it.

so the MP-40 gets more ammo. Still can't keep up with the blazing speed of the PPSH-41. If it's anything like RO-1 it will still clean house indoors and you can spray and pray all the time...

as for the Mg-34...I feel like we need modified drums. they double drum is less realistic...but they did modify the drums to fit extra ammo. Collectors have found some of these in fact.

But in the end...it's small potatoes.

Upvote 0
There is no such thing as a "hero weapon" guys, i know that is what TWI told us that the MKb and AVT would be when they where first announced, and most of the forum community seems to have clung to the belief that this would indeed be the case ever since, even going as far as assuming that other rare unlockables, like the Nagant silencer and MP-40/II would also be hero-only.

But it's not true, it either never was, or plans changed, because there are no hero-only weapons in HoS, and this was revealed ages ago in the Bash-cast hosted at TWI's offices, and further cemented durring the Prague-event and ever since.

People have just refused to belive it, and kept clinging to the idea that it would be hero only, because that's the only way it could make sense to them.

But it's time to face the facts guys, and from what we know, the only limitations on rare weapons and attachments is that "you have to unlock it first". But once unlocked, that's it, you not only have unlimited access to it, but you are forced to use it, because TWI feels that "it woulden't make sense for a soldier to choose a lesser gun if he has access to a better one, so you will just use the better one".

So yes, it will only be a matter of time before all thouse MP-40's you see on the servers, will turn into MP-40/II's, and we could all have silencers for our Nagant revolvers, and even the MKb and AVT will allways be in play because it belongs to the "Elite" rifleman, not the hero like people assumed.

Upvote 0
There is no such thing as a "hero weapon" guys, i know that is what TWI told us that the MKb and AVT would be when they where first announced, and most of the forum community seems to have clung to the belief that this would indeed be the case ever since, even going as far as assuming that other rare unlockables, like the Nagant silencer and MP-40/II would also be hero-only.

But it's not true, it either never was, or plans changed, because there are no hero-only weapons in HoS, and this was revealed ages ago in the Bash-cast hosted at TWI's offices, and further cemented durring the Prague-event and ever since.

People have just refused to belive it, and kept clinging to the idea that it would be hero only, because that's the only way it could make sense to them.

But it's time to face the facts guys, and from what we know, the only limitations on rare weapons and attachments is that "you have to unlock it first". But once unlocked, that's it, you not only have unlimited access to it, but you are forced to use it, because TWI feels that "it woulden't make sense for a soldier to choose a lesser gun if he has access to a better one, so you will just use the better one".

So yes, it will only be a matter of time before all thouse MP-40's you see on the servers, will turn into MP-40/II's, and we could all have silencers for our Nagant revolvers, and even the MKb and AVT will allways be in play because it belongs to the "Elite" rifleman, not the hero like people assumed.
I am super bummed now..

All that is left to hope is that someone makes a "True-RO" mod or something where all this shenannigans is within boundaries at least.

And bayonetts are detachable.
And if none of that works out, at least give us the option to reset our rank so that I don't have to run around with the bayonett all day. :(

Upvote 0
I don't like the idea of MP40/II. Not only it's historically inaccurate. It also made German too much like Russian. I prefer the sides to be somewhat asymmetric so they'd have somewhat unique play style each.

Instead of turning the MP40 into a spray gun like the drum maged PPsH via MP40/II upgrade. They should just bring back the wood stocked MP40 from RO1. Make it have either higher accuracy or less recoil than the regular MP40 due to it's solide wood stock.

Basically this way Russian gets high capacity lead hose for their upgrade, while German gets either a recoiless or accurate SMG that feels more like a carbine.

Reactions: MagicSnake
Upvote 0
I think the reason the beta is so fun is because we havent run into retarded things like this.

i feel once everyone is jogging around with MP40/II's its going to get a little ridicioulous.

i thought this was Red Orchestra 2 not World at War 2. I cant believe TWI lacks as much confidence in their game where they have to draw features from other games and hop aboard a bandwagon.

This!

Upvote 0
This might ease some MBK42 fears.

I have used the mkb42 late in the game on both Barracks and in Grain Elevator - not sure of the triggers of how and why it appears when it does.

It shows up rarely. The kills I got on Barracks with it could have just as easily happened the same way with the MP40 - really. Since it kicks around a bit the MP40 might have been better for the distances in Barracks. It isn't a map winner by any means.

The main thing is it sounds and looks cool. Maybe the other side is suppressed more? maybe better penetration through thinner walls? but I was cut down by mgs on Grain Elevator with it just the same as with an MP40 too. I don't see it as a super weapon - but I love the sound of it.

Reactions: PsychoPigeon
Upvote 0
They weren't even rare, they simply were not there. ( Logical reasoning also applies here, German command:"Let's give those encircled forces in Stalingrad the newest prototype of assault rifle, and when they can't rambo their way out of it we'll see them rifles back in Russian hands when they enter Berlin." tl/dr version: MKB2 was used in the more stable North.

"They could have been there" is a BS argument.

I don't see the use of the MP40II either, the Papashah and the MP40 are pretty balanced anyway, MP40 is somewhat easier to control and more accurate but less RoF and magazine capacity, and the papashah the opposite. Room clearing works better with a papashah, but that's totally fine since that was also the real deal.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i think the complaint is that they were very rare compared to mp40/kar98k in stalingrad.

even if it's balanced, 99% of people will still use it because it's an unlockable weapon and they want to parade their epeen.

Yeah, I almost didn't bring it up but wanted to get this out there :
A. it didn't effect a different outcome in any way
B. there was only 1 in the 50 or more player session
C. it showed up late in the match

Upvote 0