• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The MP40/II and MG34 Saddle Drum + Perma Bayonet

The MP40/II and MG34 Saddle Drum + Perma Bayonet

• I do NOT want these freely available, Authenticity trumps Balance

Votes: 161 63.1%
  • I DO want these freely available, Balance trumps Authenticity

Votes: 58 22.7%
  • I have no opinion.

Votes: 36 14.1%

• Total voters

Zoring

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
Perth, Western Australia
Hello Chaps, first of all, this is all so far RUMOR and so the facts may change upon release, however i feel it warrants some discussion. Bear that in mind before you shout me down.

Now I am not a fan of balance over authenticity and the following things that are perhaps in the full game are directly cases of balance trumping history. Not previously something I was worried about for RO but now from what i hear i am.

Remember we don't need 'Class Balance' what we will have in the game is 'Team Balance' where the Germans may be weaker in SMG's they have the edge in their MG's for example.

From what we have seen so far it appears that the MP40/II the Dual-Magazine MP40 is in RO, and once unlocked is a permanant feature for the gun. I am sure i am not alone in feeling that this incredibly rare item (less prduced than the 7,000+ MKb42 (H) certainly) made for troop trials and rejected as being unsuitable due to jamming/sensitivity has no place within our Red Orchestra 2 game. I am sure we would much rather have a captured PPSh41 than this gun in our game (and certain unlock options in the menu point to this being a possibility)

Saddle Drum MG34, the Dual Magazine saddle drum for the MG34 was not a Heer issued item, it was restricted almost exclusively to the Luftwaffe, and even then was produced in limited numbers and discontinued because of the Luftwaffe primarily using the MG15. The reason it was not issued to the army was because using it necessitated a completely different rear plate to accomodate the drum. I have heard that this item has been seen in gameplay videos? So if it's not in RO2 don't crucify me. Surely however a better unlock would be a Belt Feed (the actual most common way to employ the MG34)

Permanent Bayonets, everyone wants these detachable surely.

Nagant Revolver. Silencer, not an item that was seen on the frontline. This has been much discussed.

Now, i have the following Caveat with these items, the Hero class, it would certainly be acceptable to me to have these items restricted to a Single soldier on the team, the Hero class could feasibly have that 1 rare gun, have friends in high places to lend him a silencer, or have scavanged a MG34 and saddle drums from a crashed Heinkel, this way these a-historical items still get to be used in the game, but not in a way that affects the gameplay or authenticity. Plus if TW has already made these items then that effort is not wasted.

Perhaps this is already the case? I am in no way attempting to be rumour mongering or posting un-true information. At any rate i feel personally that if every soldier in a few weeks has a MP40/II that my enjoyment of RO will be much reduced.

I also notice in Ramm-Jagers post that there is some server options to limit certain weapons. If this is the case and it is fully customizable in terms of what weapons to which classes and which unlocks are availalbe than the 'Realism' servers can have the guns as they were and as such there will be no-issue.

Last edited:
Now, i have the following Caveat with these items, the Hero class, it would certainly be acceptable to me to have these items restricted to a Single soldier on the team, the Hero class could feasibly have that 1 rare gun, have friends in high places to lend him a silencer, or have scavanged a MG34 and saddle drums from a crashed Heinkel, this way these a-historical items still get to be used in the game, but not in a way that affects the gameplay or authenticity. Plus if TW has already made these items then that effort is not wasted.

Pretty sure (save the bayonet) this is how it works, having groups of people with double mags, silencers and saddle drums would be the anti-thesis of RO.

Upvote 0
I've been annoyed by random name-dropping of Call of Duty whenever a feature someone doesn't like comes up, but these suggestions would definitely take it in that direction.

When does it end? Mkb42 gets a little scope thing, if that turns out to make it a lot better than the AVT are they going to have to invent some silly thing for it to balance it out?

Upvote 0
I don't think they should be in the game for the following reason. It leads to one of two things;

A. A player thinks "I have to put X time into the game to gain the unlocks, in order to be on the same level as everyone else".

B. A player thinks "Play time doesn't matter, as even with the unlocks i'm on the same level as everyone else".

Point A is pretty much the opposite of what I thought RO was trying to achieve. If point B, why are the unlocks in the game to start with?

Upvote 0
I'm fine with unlocks BUT it would be better if we would have the freedom to attach those unlocks to our guns or not.

personaly, I like the idea that germans get a doublemag for MP40 so its not that underpowered compared to the PPSH41 with drum mag, and the MG34s double-drum magazine is fine too, its only 25 more bullets, so really not an overkill.

What I really would like would be real Machine Gun team, where 2 guys would be used, and one of them would have the Machine Gun and the other one would have the ammo box for it with 250 rounds :D:D (dream)

Upvote 0
I think the reason the beta is so fun is because we havent run into retarded things like this.

i feel once everyone is jogging around with MP40/II's its going to get a little ridicioulous.

i thought this was Red Orchestra 2 not World at War 2. I cant believe TWI lacks as much confidence in their game where they have to draw features from other games and hop aboard a bandwagon.

Upvote 0
This topic again? I thought there are already +10 threads about weapon unlocks...

Afaik, hero weapons are only given to 1 player per side. It's not like everybody has the double mags for the MP 40.
As much as I don't like to see the rare weapons, I am okay with them being implemented as long as they are seldomly seen.
It has been said many times that the hero class will not be the decisive 1% to win a battle or not.

Upvote 0
This topic again? I thought there are already +10 threads about weapon unlocks...

Afaik, hero weapons are only given to 1 player per side. It's not like everybody has the double mags for the MP 40.
As much as I don't like to see the rare weapons, I am okay with them being implemented as long as they are seldomly seen.
It has been said many times that the hero class will not be the decisive 1% to win a battle or not.

I suggest you re-read the first post again... carefully...

Upvote 0
I don't understand how this work.

Only elite riflemen get rare weapons or we will finally see all assault troopers and SL running around wit hMP40 II.
Just... is there a fact that MP40 II is a hero weapon and not a simple unlock like bayonets and 71 drum?

I'm a bit afraid... :eek:

EDIT:

From what we have seen so far it appears that the MP40/II the Dual-Magazine MP40 is in RO, and once unlocked is a permanant feature for the gun

God, i hope not. I hope not, I h....

Last edited:
Upvote 0
what is the Problem guys?
i see there no Problems that all can upgrade his own weapon.
look, at first, the Russians get thier own Upgrades aswell!
the next Point is, we can take classes which aren't taken by now, and if you say all you would a limit for weapons, its like, you cant take this and this and this, i think, its better to make it so, that the Server Files allow you to take the Upgrades once or not and etc. For me its more fun with bayonet as without.
and the next Point ist, if i read it somewhere, or ingame in weaponprogression aswell, the "Hero" can take all Weapons ingame, the other weopns like MKb 42 are Veteran Unlocks!
dont make a useless limit for the complete game, think about that, you all have allready limits for classes like Assault and etc. so why more limits in weapons, i think it would be all Fair blanced, for Germans aswell for Russians! better you would say, that you want the possbility to add limits into the Server Configs, then make your own Server, which say, no only 1 MKb42 /AVT ... and no I'm not an CoD Player, i play Battlefield and CoD aswell RO, and i enjoyed RO with much fun!
P.S.: Sorry for my bad English!

Upvote 0