• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The Grand List of World at War's Inaccuracies--NOTE: JUST FOR FUN

There are many more inaccuracies than you listed but it's a nice list, albeit rather pointless as noone can take any CoD game serious.

In a game such as CoD, I don't even bother looking at the inaccuracies. As mentioned in the OP and here, there are so many just about every second of the game...

Seriously, do you have nothing better to spend your time on?

I enjoyed reading the OP more than I did of your post.

Upvote 0
One thing to nitpick is that the Japanese 7.7x58mm actually was a pretty damn good round. You seem to confuse it with the 6.5mm Arisaka. Another nitpick is that both the 82mm katyusha and, to a lesser extent, the 132mm Katyusha had a rather small explosive filler, making their structural damage rather small when compared to normal artillery or mortars. For comparison a 82mm BM-8 HE rocket only carries ~0.9kg of explosive filler.

Interesting... Like I said, RO players know their history and tech. I was talking about the 8x22mm Nambu pistol round for the Type 100 though, which is quite the joke compared to its foreign competitors.

Actually they wouldn't probably even blow up as bombs do have small built-in safety systems that they must fall for a very brief period of time before they are properly armed, otherwise turbulence or some other could potentially blow up any ordnance while in flight. The altitude specified (if YT video is to be believed) is too small for the bomb to do so.

Very true--didn't even think about that!

Molotov cocktails were still used by the soviets by 1945 despite such 'peak' despite being quite inconvenient against anything other than soft or open topped targets, or if the crew was completely ****ting bricks.

haha well guess old habits are hard to break... and they sure found no shortage of empty bottles in eastern europe ;)

Upvote 0
Nakita,

Check your Peleliu facts as you are giving erroneous info. As for your answers....

1. Many Marines were NOT pinned down on the beach as you implied. Elements of 2/5, 3/5, and the 7th Marines made it to the other side of the island, cutting it in two on D-day. 2/5 Marines had captured the southern side of the airfield.

2. There was a significan mangrove swamp in between White Beach and the airfield! A Japanese tank that crashed through the lines during the tank attack later D-day bogged down in that marsh. I've spent many days trudging through the swamp inland of the beach.

3. AA fire shot down at least one attacking plane on D-Day. Almost every Marine who made the invasion saw that plane go down. White Beach was enfiladed by a Type 96 25mm AA gun depressed for horizontal fire (on Point). Mistaken as a 47mm AT/AB gun in most histories of the battle. It's still there.

11. B-24's bombed the snot out of Peleliu during the pre-invasion bombardments. Several were shot down over Koror by highly accurate AA fire.

13. Lots of scrub growth, coconut groves and dense jungle inland of the beaches that caused problems with the Marines in keeping contact with one another. There was alot of initial jungle growth on the ridges but, as the campaign dragged on and napalm employed, they became more denuded, esp. around Oct.

23. You didn't have to brace an M-1 to fire a rifle grenade. While it's true one had to use blanks, it could be shoulder fired! They only fired the RG on the ground when employed to fire over ridges, etc.

Japanese used the Type 95 light tank on Peleliu, not Type 97's.

Good luck, Eric

Reactions: Nikita
Upvote 0
Nakita,

Many units were not pinned down on the beac and in fact cut all the way across the island on the first day, capturing the southern approached to the airfield.

Mangroves existed off White Beach and one Japanese tank crashed into it during the tank attack.

AA fire downed at least one US plane during the invasion as almost every Marine can attest to.

B-24's were employed to soften Peleliu and many were shot out of the sky over Koror.

Lots of jungle, coconut groves and scrub inland of all beaches during the landing. The ridges became denuded after prolonged napalm and bombardment.

Rifle grenades didn't have to be fired from the ground. Nonesense. They were only fired from the ground for high-angle trajectory over ridges.

Read Hough's Peleliu Monograph for more detail.

Good luck, Eric

Upvote 0
1. Many Marines were NOT pinned down on the beach as you implied. Elements of 2/5, 3/5, and the 7th Marines made it to the other side of the island, cutting it in two on D-day. 2/5 Marines had captured the southern side of the airfield.

2. There was a significan mangrove swamp in between White Beach and the airfield! A Japanese tank that crashed through the lines during the tank attack later D-day bogged down in that marsh. I've spent many days trudging through the swamp inland of the beach.

3. AA fire shot down at least one attacking plane on D-Day. Almost every Marine who made the invasion saw that plane go down. White Beach was enfiladed by a Type 96 25mm AA gun depressed for horizontal fire (on Point). Mistaken as a 47mm AT/AB gun in most histories of the battle. It's still there.

11. B-24's bombed the snot out of Peleliu during the pre-invasion bombardments. Several were shot down over Koror by highly accurate AA fire.

13. Lots of scrub growth, coconut groves and dense jungle inland of the beaches that caused problems with the Marines in keeping contact with one another. There was alot of initial jungle growth on the ridges but, as the campaign dragged on and napalm employed, they became more denuded, esp. around Oct.

23. You didn't have to brace an M-1 to fire a rifle grenade. While it's true one had to use blanks, it could be shoulder fired! They only fired the RG on the ground when employed to fire over ridges, etc.

Japanese used the Type 95 light tank on Peleliu, not Type 97's.

Well Mr. peleliuexplorer, it appears from your name and your post count that I can take full credit for having attracted you to this splendid forum! Welcome, and may I compliment you on the *cough* originality and modesty of your username.

To address your first point, "pinned down on the beach overnight" may have been an exaggeration, as Marine forces most certainly reached the scrub and sparse vegetation behind the beaches on 15 September, with K company, 3/1 seizing the point. The Fifth Marines, however, were ordered to halt and dig in parallel to the airstrip at 1700 hours on D-day, and did not reach the eastern shore (Sloan, 112-113, 118). The Seventh Marines did reach the eastern shore, I concede, but the southern promontories, a D-day objective, were not captured until D-plus-3, and were secured by the Seventh Marines and not 2/5. (Leckie, Delivered From Evil, 778).

2. No source I have ever come across, including the personal account of a Marine with 2nd Bn, First Marines (who landed at White Beach 2) describes the presence of a mangrove swamp between White Beaches 1 and 2 and the airfield. You appear to have visited the atoll, but I caution you that a tropical climate can enact significant changes in a landscape over a few short decades, particularly when influencing a coral atoll.

3. You appear to have read my post carelessly. I state that "a few" Navy fighters were lost to AA fire, as indeed occured. I acknowledge fully that an F6F went down at 0832 hours in front of the entire fleet (Sloan, 74). However, antiaircraft fire was by no means heavy, and was for the most part uncoordinated and ineffective.

4. Koror, the primary island of the Palaus chain, is just under 30 miles away from Peleliu. Koror may well have been bombarded by heavy bombers, but I have absolutely no record that B24s ever attacked Peleliu itself. A large raid neutralized the island's offensive capabilities on 2 March, 1944, but it was conducted by F6Fs and SBDs. The pre-invasion bombardment was conducted entirely by F6Fs, F4Us, TBDs, and SBDs from 12-15 September. At any rate, once US troops landed, the island's small size would have made aerial bombing by heavies a recipie for fraticide.

5. Again, you misread my post. I stated that no cover exists between the jungle BEHIND the airfield (the ultimate objective) and the airfield itself, meaning that once the Fifth Marines, accompanied by Second Battalion, First Marines, rose from the scrub to attack the airfield, they found no cover. I did not at any point imply that a strip of scrub did not exist between the beaches and the airfield. (The presence of that vegetation is attested to in maps on page 49 of Sloan and 268 of Leckie, Helmet).

As for point six, show me photographic or anecdotal evidence of a live rifle grenade being fired from the shoulder in combat or in training and I will gladly concede the point.

Finally, I agree that the Japanese employed thirteen to fifteen Type 95 Ha-Gos on Peleliu, as attested to in numerous sources. However, Call of Duty: World at War depicts the use of the Type 97. I suggest you take up the issue with them, not me.;)

Regards,
Nikita (spelled with two i's, for future reference)

Last edited:
Upvote 0