• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The German Soldier

LMAOser

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 31, 2011
I know this is kind of late and behind-the-times, but I just can't get over how ridiculous the German soldier looks on the box art.

I think "OMG German SWAT" was a correct characterization. At least the character models in the actual game look better.

germansoldiercomparison.jpg

When you're in sub-zero temperatures, you'll do anything you can to keep yourself covered.. unless you like frostbite all over your face.

Except when you breathe with your nose and mouth covered you'll leave moisture on the cloth which in turn will freeze to your face. You should really check out your delta elite booklet on winter warfare.

Last edited:
Reactions: The_Emperor
Upvote 0
Except when you breathe with your nose and mouth covered you'll leave moisture on the cloth which in turn will freeze to your face. You should really check out your delta elite booklet on winter warfare.

Here's an idea: wrapping your face with light cloth (like it looks in the picture) DOESN'T cause that problem because you're not suffocating yourself in your own condensation and you're still blocking cold wind currents. I think you need that handbook more than I do Mr.PHD in WWII.

Reactions: Falkenhorst
Upvote 0
Anything that can catch the slightest moisture will become ice in winter trust me I'm Canadian I don't need no special winter training :p you are better off with a tick beard ;)

Our winters are equally bad here.. but the wind makes it horrible.. hense why I wrap my face whenever reffing is involved out on the field. Can't stand the - windchill factor beating on my face.

Upvote 0

As a Canadian, I have to chip in that covering your face with a cloth is highly effective. Yes, it can lead to freezing anyway if you leave it on too long and breath too deeply without a chance to warm it up and dry it out, but is is far, far better than leaving the tip of your nose to frost quick frost bite.

Cold wind can actually keep the cloth dry anyway. As long as you keep the cloth directly around your moth and nostrils away from the skin, you're good to go.

Upvote 0
Our winters are equally bad here.. but the wind makes it horrible.. hense why I wrap my face whenever reffing is involved out on the field. Can't stand the - windchill factor beating on my face.

When it's windy it's not too bad because the wind will dry the cloth. Full face masks with breathing holes are the best but people give you weird look in public when you wear one.

Upvote 0
Are those mp40 ammo pouches?

I know there was a discussion about this when the box art was released, cant' remember what the consensus was though.

MP40 pouches were used for Mkb ammunition - actual Mkb42 ammo pouches are a rare find!

Though under those circumstances, it is a wonder that they are not in game :p

Reactions: kapulA
Upvote 0
The winter outfit for the Germans needs a greatcoat. Either a green one handed out by the Wehrmacht or a stolen Red Army coat with swastika bagde on the left arm. (Of course we can use a Iron cross instead of it.)

Lots of pictures show Germans in Stalingrad wearing them. Some say they are useless at such low temperatures, might be true as the -20

Reactions: Tomten
Upvote 0