• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The "anything" thread

I think I'm about ready to unsubscribe to CynicalBrit. TB has been saying some absolutely horrid stuff lately in his mailboxes. The WTF IS video for Serious Sam 3 also had me getting close to the unsubscribe button.

Nobody buys Serious Sam to play versus multiplayer...

But he already made a video of the single player in which he says its good.

What kind of horrid stuff he said in his mailboxes?

Upvote 0
But he already made a video of the single player in which he says its good.

What kind of horrid stuff he said in his mailboxes?

It's a bit of a list of things.

Most recently - denying that games are becoming more expensive, just because they were already absurdly expensive once in the distant past. Comparing the quality of games today with the quality of games from the NES era. (SMB 3 vs. Bastion) Saying Call of Duty is worth more than older games because old games didn't have replayability. Complaining that he works his *** off (playing video games and editing videos) so he can make a living off Youtube ad revenue. Stuff like that.

As for the Serious Sam thing, yeah he does eventually say it's a great game, but he spends 90% of his multiplayer video just ripping on how bad versus is. Kinda makes me pissed when A: Serious Sam isn't that popular to begin with, and B: The whole point of WTF IS videos is to give games like that spotlight. So he pretty much paints the game as terrible for anyone watching before the 7 minute mark.

It's just starting to grate on me.

Upvote 0
I met the guy when he did the RO2 WTF at Koln - it was actually quite fun taking the piss out of his playing. :D

One thing I noticed is he is a very busy guy and he takes his work ultra seriously. Maybe he needs a holiday. Very common in the games industry for people to work so hard that they forget that its supposed to be about the fun.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's a bit of a list of things.

Most recently - denying that games are becoming more expensive, just because they were already absurdly expensive once in the distant past. Comparing the quality of games today with the quality of games from the NES era. (SMB 3 vs. Bastion) Saying Call of Duty is worth more than older games because old games didn't have replayability. Complaining that he works his *** off (playing video games and editing videos) so he can make a living off Youtube ad revenue. Stuff like that.

You are right that the comparison is unfair, he should compare to the late 90s and early 2000s era, in which the standard price for AAA titles was 50

Upvote 0
However, there are a few things that DO piss me off about TB, is the amount of videos he is making of that crap old republic MMO, as if he was getting paid to do so... how many are there, 8? 9 videos? Then he says he does not make a WTF is Skyrim because it wouldn't do justice to such a big game... ok Why don't you make 10 ****ing videos then? like you did with The Old Republic? or why don't you just play and then cut to the parts you want to talk about?
What really gave away his hypocrisy is that in one of his mailboxes he said he won't be doing Skyrim because of the "bandwagon" around it... so, now you get the real reason: plain and simple hipster-ish elitism.

Although, thats not enough reason to make me unsubscribe, because thanks to him I've discovered many good obscure games I wouldn't have discovered otherwise.

I felt the same way about that.

He treats Skyrim like some money grubbing hype machine then goes and does piles of content for TOR. You can kinda get the sense that he just flat out dislikes Bethesda games by the way he talks about them in videos occasionally. He also gives a disproportionate amount of praise to certain indie titles.

I don't think it's quite enough for me to unsubscribe but I'm going to be more liberal with the "dislike" button from now on.

Upvote 0
I felt the same way about that.

He treats Skyrim like some money grubbing hype machine then goes and does piles of content for TOR. You can kinda get the sense that he just flat out dislikes Bethesda games by the way he talks about them in videos occasionally. He also gives a disproportionate amount of praise to certain indie titles.

I don't think it's quite enough for me to unsubscribe but I'm going to be more liberal with the "dislike" button from now on.

He also said he didn't like the "Portal" bandwagon, and you can see pretty clearly in his pathetic WTF is of Portal 2, that he had a terrible bias, and that was almost a year ago, so nothing new here.

Upvote 0
Of course it delights me if I give people a sense to their life and everyday internet behavior, but once overstated it's rather annoying than anything else.

Well when some see you as the Pantomime villian of the forums, you can expect that a few of the audience are going to shout 'Boooo!' whenever you come on stage.

Reactions: Moyako
Upvote 0
He also said that he played skyrim for like 2 hours and then stopped because of the GUI and won't touch it again until there's a mod for that.

Yes, I agree with him about the GUI, I didnt have a problem at first but it started to piss me off gradually, until I tweaked the controls to have shortcuts to everything (I play on the 360 gamepad, so I made 2 key combos using the bumpers as "shift" keys and it worked great) While its much better that way, I still dislike that the game requires constant pausing at higher difficulties, it really breaks the immersion and the pace.

But anyway, not liking the GUI is no excuse to not make a video, if you don't like it, just say it in the damned video, right? nobody asked him to kiss the game's ***, people just wanted to know his impressions.

Upvote 0