• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The 5.56 Conundrum

M14 IS powerful. That doesn't mean M14 handles EVERYTHING.

515.gif

Besides, it requires constant headshots for a M14 to shine its value.

I do agree with you here. The M14 has no real purpose outside of headshots. 80 body damage seems a little tiny, although the headshot multiplier more than makes up for it fully.

Upvote 0
And what it doesn't handle in your opinion...?

Hordes and hordes of trash zeds INCLUDING crawlers and stalkers. Note: These contains, if not 90%, at least 70% of the total zed population.

First of all
Sir. With a 6 men or 10 men game the zeds spawn in hordes. You simply doesn't have enough time headshotting every of them before the next arrives. And that will be an overrun without other methods.

Secondly
Headshotting everything? Don't be kidding me pal. Even if you cheat (if there is any) that autoaims to the head, you will NOT always score a headshot thanks to the judgement of the hitbox.
Also, a stalker is enough to destroy your well placed headshot to some foe behind.

I don't want to argue with theoretical statements since M14 is seriously VERY powerful theoretically, and I admit it. In practical there is a loooooooot of unexpects such as missed shot, and, your most hatred, demolitional smokes. A commando behaves A LOT more stable than a M14 SS.

Upvote 0
But it does! I'd argue ARs only have advantage over M14 at killing the smaller zeds. When you get to gorefasts and bigger baddies, bodyshotting becomes pretty ineffective, so anybody with trained aim will kill stuff faster with headshots.

Sounds like that ARs are only for bodyshots. That's ridiculous.

M14 20 shots, magazine change = You eliminated a horde of zeds but backstepped a lot in order to do this, the horde of zeds push you backwards

SCAR 25 shots, magazine change = You eliminated a horde of zeds AND pushed THEM backwards

And the commando has got his AK loaded and ready to fire another 37 rounds if the zeds are not pushed backwards.

Oh, if you guys still don't believe what i was saying, get a HOE bedlam and camp on the L-shaped corridor long road. Walk to the front and guard the debris breach on your right. A commando with a SCAR is (sometimes) able to take out every zed that spawns inside it without the need to retreat. With a M14 SS? Never think of it. Also, even if pushed backwards, the commando need much less space than a SS to handle all of them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am pro M14 all the way. But it does occur to me that a lvl 6 commando with a FAL or SCAR can hose a horde down on full auto and do alright since his body shots will actually do more damage than those of the M14.
I mean, I know the M14 is for headshots, but it feels crazysauce to have a fullauto gun do more damage per shot than a semi. Seems like it supposed to be the other way around.

Upvote 0
I am pro M14 all the way. But it does occur to me that a lvl 6 commando with a FAL or SCAR can hose a horde down on full auto and do alright since his body shots will actually do more damage than those of the M14.
I mean, I know the M14 is for headshots, but it feels crazysauce to have a fullauto gun do more damage per shot than a semi. Seems like it supposed to be the other way around.

It is NOT. PRE PERKED, SCAR has got 65 damage, M14 has got 80. The difference is that there is a 1.6X damage multiplier for commando, and a 2.4X HEADSHOT multiplier for SS.

M14 is specialized for headshot only. Bodyshotting isn't what it is designated to do. And sending a horde away isn't its job. It is simply someone doing it wrong to compare SS's M14 with commando's ARs on trash sweeping.

Upvote 0
It is NOT. PRE PERKED, SCAR has got 65 damage, M14 has got 80. The difference is that there is a 1.6X damage multiplier for commando, and a 2.4X HEADSHOT multiplier for SS.

M14 is specialized for headshot only. Bodyshotting isn't what it is designated to do. And sending a horde away isn't its job. It is simply someone doing it wrong to compare SS's M14 with commando's ARs on trash sweeping.

Actually in terms of trash killing, they are both extremely great at it. The only way to compare is the assault rifles are quicker and more costly in terms of ammo whereas the M14 is slower, more precise, cheaper in terms of ammo and can take out the sirens/husks in a single shot (I think in all difficulties). M14 is great if you can use it properly but so is the assault rifles.

Best thing to do is not to compare them at all because they will have their own specific jobs to do. Sharpshooter (M14) is mainly for husks/sirens/bloats and the Commando (assault rifles) is mainly for mowing down anything that gets in medium to close range. Can do long but depends if you can use it or not < Always use semi-auto for it though with timed shots for no accuracy movement.

Overall, the assault rifles generally are a lot better if you crouch AND semi-auto them as the accuracy is improved by 25-45% (can't remember the correct percentage). You can try it out as I use this technique all the time. It's great for majority of the weapons that use this crouch system too. Crouch is different from semi but both give an accuracy bonus.

Upvote 0
Actually in terms of trash killing, they are both extremely great at it. The only way to compare is the assault rifles are quicker and more costly in terms of ammo whereas the M14 is slower, more precise, cheaper in terms of ammo and can take out the sirens/husks in a single shot (I think in all difficulties). M14 is great if you can use it properly but so is the assault rifles.

Best thing to do is not to compare them at all because they will have their own specific jobs to do. Sharpshooter (M14) is mainly for husks/sirens/bloats and the Commando (assault rifles) is mainly for mowing down anything that gets in medium to close range. Can do long but depends if you can use it or not < Always use semi-auto for it though with timed shots for no accuracy movement.

Overall, the assault rifles generally are a lot better if you crouch AND semi-auto them as the accuracy is improved by 25-45% (can't remember the correct percentage). You can try it out as I use this technique all the time. It's great for majority of the weapons that use this crouch system too. Crouch is different from semi but both give an accuracy bonus.

I never crouch because most of the zeds have got the same height with the player. Stand shooting will benefit a lot from the overlapping of the zeds. Exploding the first head and then the one behind without even moving your mouse is very effective.

Upvote 0
I never crouch because most of the zeds have got the same height with the player. Stand shooting will benefit a lot from the overlapping of the zeds. Exploding the first head and then the one behind without even moving your mouse is very effective.

But what you're saying there is that the bullets wont spread wide. Crouching pretty much garentees a headshot because the spread is so low. Also, don't be lazy, aim at your target :p

Upvote 0
But what you're saying there is that the bullets wont spread wide. Crouching pretty much garentees a headshot because the spread is so low. Also, don't be lazy, aim at your target :p

THREE-DOT-IN-ONE-LINE. Thanks to the "same height" the zeds have got their heads approximately lined up in a straight line. And when standing, your muzzle is on this line too. F/A on this line will result in a chain of headshots.

Crouch? You lose that benefit sir.

Upvote 0
Sounds like that ARs are only for bodyshots. That's ridiculous.

M14 20 shots, magazine change = You eliminated a horde of zeds but backstepped a lot in order to do this, the horde of zeds push you backwards

SCAR 25 shots, magazine change = You eliminated a horde of zeds AND pushed THEM backwards

And the commando has got his AK loaded and ready to fire another 37 rounds if the zeds are not pushed backwards.

Oh, if you guys still don't believe what i was saying, get a HOE bedlam and camp on the L-shaped corridor long road. Walk to the front and guard the debris breach on your right. A commando with a SCAR is (sometimes) able to take out every zed that spawns inside it without the need to retreat. With a M14 SS? Never think of it. Also, even if pushed backwards, the commando need much less space than a SS to handle all of them.
It kinda seems like you're arguing with yourself. Nobody said sharps are better at killing trash than commandos. But when facing something like a group of a few gorefasts + a husk, both classes need to go for the head to be effective enough. However, commando has the edge when it comes to the smaller zeds (numerous and hard to headshot) or situations where headshotting is hard (like the bedlam thing you suggested).

Upvote 0

Wait
What is not?
I'm talking about a fully perked SCAR, which is 97.
All I'm saying is that the perked SCAR or FAL is better for haphazard crowd control because it's still more effective than the M14 if you miss a headshot.
I was kindof agreeing with you; although I'm not entirely sure what you're saying now.

Upvote 0
Then sir you can't aim lol

It isn't that i can't aim, it is that i need to minimize the time between aiming one and another. And the overlap minimized it. In other words, INSTEAD OF not aiming as you defined, I AIMED at MULTIPLE zeds at the same time. Super effective.

Is that clear?

Or, let's use some scenario.

You are crouching semiauto tapping 10 zeds. You aim at the next target after you pop up the first, and that costs 0.2 seconds. That costs you 2 secs.

I am fully automatic on a lined up 10 zeds. A chain of headshots and that costs 1 sec.

1 sec counts.

Last edited:
Upvote 0