• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The 5.56 Conundrum

I've been thinking recently about the Bullpup and the M4 (both on the Commando and the Demo) and I've noticed that they seem to be rather lackluster (maybe not the Commando M4) in the hands of their designated perks. At level 6, the Commando can't decap in one shot with the Bullpup, which I feel is a detriment to it's usability and how it performs on HoE compared to other Commando weapons. Likewise, the Demo's M4 is obviously laughed at as a joke weapon that nobody serious would take (and if they are serious, they'll likely only get frustrated anyways) between it's pitiful damage, slow reload, and small grenade stock (among other things that could be said).

What I feel would be a nice, usable fix for these weapons would be to up the headshot multiplier to 1.25 for all three 5.56 weapons as a start (more on the 203 in a bit).

For starters, it would make the Bullpup decap in one shot on HoE (as stated above) which makes it a capable, usable starting weapon in a similar vein to most other classes' basic weapons (such as the Shotgun or MAC-10). I doubt this'd make it overly powerful though as while it might take the heads off in one shot, most targets won't drop from it and it will take either time or some extra body shots to finish them off. Speaking of, it is still obviously terrible at killing most things with body shots still and it would still have it's relatively slow rate of fire (for a Commando weapon, mind) so it suddenly won't start zapping larger targets because of this change.

Making this change for the Commando's M4 won't really change all that much, it'll mostly just be able to kill Husks and Sirens quicker in close quarters on full-auto, and again that body shots would still be rather undesirable.

What it does change is the M4 portion of the M4/203, which would decap in a single headshot on HoE (but not kill outright on most targets, again). I don't think this'd be a problem as it is still somewhat difficult to use and has less ammo than the Commando's M4. Also, I would propose that the grenade stock be increase to the ballpark of 18. In essence, I figure that the M4/203 pretty much needs to fill in for the idea of having two standalone weapons (the M79 and a pistol sidearm), but still be a pinch weaker while having it's own quirks (like being able to fire the 203 while reloading the M4 :D ). I think that these changes will make it at least usable in that role and it will be dusted off more often by Demos from the trader's weapon lockers.

Also, while it might not be a 5.56 weapon, I'd like to post a side-tangent about the Tommy Gun (the first DLC one) in that I think the reload speed should be increased to 3.3 or 3.2 seconds (faster than the M4/FAL and slower than the AK/MkB) so that it fills in a middle-ground spot better in the Commando arsenal if these changes see the light of day.

Thank you for reading these ideas and a level discussion on them would be appreciated.:)

The only weapon mentioned that needs tweaking is the M4-203. The M4 and Bullpup are fine, and perform their jobs excellently. I have no problem with 2 shot decaps with the Propup, considering it's amazing reload speed and ammo reserve. Likewise, the M4 stands as the bigger brother, with it's one shot decap/kills, and needs no changes either.

What you suggested with the M4-203 is interesting, but we'll see what happens.

Upvote 0
M4 is a great gun for headshotting, but suffers from the infamous animation bug when entering iron sights directly after shooting it.
Bullpup is nice thing overall, but reducing it's weight by one block would make it more desirable.
Bullpup + M4 is the ultimate fragwhoring loadout in camp games :D
M4/203 is goddamn useless piece of junk that needs a complete makeover, because right now it's not worth even the cost of its ammo.

Upvote 0
Note: Bullpup has got the fastest reload among all commando weapons. It has got almost continuously firing. And relying on that, a 2-shot decap doesn't matter very much to it. After all, it is the cheapest weapon for the commando class while great to use.

I hate to use M4 because of the "double-firing". A 1-shot decap is wasted thanks to this.

Upvote 0
I used to live in semi-auto mode but now I just stay in full auto and tap the mouse. It takes one to decap and one to kill so (I think steves take two body shots too so), better to just drop them than leave the bodies staggering about IMO. With two rifles, you never really have to worry about ammo with tapping, (at least I haven't had to on the games I've played). That way if you have don't have to worry about which mode it is in when the fat hits the fan. I'm a terribad commando though so take it with a grain of salt.

Upvote 0
Because the zeds won't wait for you to semiauto tap all of them headshot. They WILL overwhelm you.

Uhh... what do you think a Sharpshooter with an M14 in that situation would do...? Different perk and weapon, same principle.

Unless you are also in the group that believes that the M14 is an underpowered pos. If that's the case, I bid you good day, sir.

Upvote 0
Uhh... what do you think a Sharpshooter with an M14 in that situation would do...? Different perk and weapon, same principle.

Unless you are also in the group that believes that the M14 is an underpowered pos. If that's the case, I bid you good day, sir.

M14 IS powerful. That doesn't mean M14 handles EVERYTHING. Besides, it requires constant headshots for a M14 to shine its value. And? I've never seen such a guy, at least not in China (probably due to the low quality network here).

Also, EVEN IF there is one man with M14 headshotting EVERY zed in front of him, he's got LESS effiency than a F/A commando. Also M14 has got 160 rounds while a SINGLE assault rifle carries 375 at least, and commando carry assault rifles in PAIRS.

My SP friend: "Tapping semiauto like M14? Why doesn't him just use the M14 then? By that way he can also handle SCs and FPs! M14 SS has got potentials that a commando can never reach!" He doesn't mention or suggest handle trash with M14 at all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0