• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tank Explosions and Holes

Redit

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 7, 2010
Airstrip 1
Everytime a tank in OST was knocked out, it immediately exploded into a burning black wreck. This is stupid.

I hope in HoS you will only have the tank explode when it has an actual reason to explode, e.g. the tank actually catches fire or some high explosive ammunition is set off inside the tank. The majority of vehicles knocked out did not explode, they were simply badly damaged or inoperable.

If you think that it makes it easier to see if you have killed a tank or a friendly tank had died, then this is Call of Duty: Finest Hour tank mission. You shouldn't be able to tell if the tank has been destroyed unless it starts flaming or explodes from the above reasons, or you look and see where it has been pierced/wrecked.

Even simple games like MoW show you exactly where the shell entered and in the correct circumstances where it exited out the other side with smoldering holes in the armor, if the shell did not penetrate it has a dent or crater in the armor and if it really didn't even do any damage, such as small arms fire, it doesn't even show up.

Considering HoS is supposed to have a 'simulation level' tank combat system I would be incredibly surprised if these 2 things were not implemented.

To sum up, tanks not exploding unless there is a realistic reason for the tank physically exploding from within and shell impacts which are visible on the armor of the tanks in real time.

Should be possible with something like bullet hole decals (like when you shoot a wall) added to the vehicle where the shots hit. We'll have to wait and see for more details (come on Siegecon!).

I imagine destroyed tank carcasses will disappear just like in ROOST (which you would also call stupid and unrealistic), which would mean there wouldn't be much point in putting a tremendous amount of effort into the way the destroyed tank model looks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Should be possible with something like bullet hole decals (like when you shoot a wall) added to the vehicle where the shots hit. We'll have to wait and see for more details (come on Siegecon!).

I imagine destroyed tank carcasses will disappear just like in ROOST (which you would also call stupid and unrealistic), which would mean there wouldn't be much point in putting a tremendous amount of effort into the way the destroyed tank model looks.

This is a brand new game coming out a year from now, lets not start putting all these limitations on it.

Upvote 0
If the TWI developers put soo much effort in re-creating the interior of tanks, like the PIV and T-34, then the surely put as much effort in accurately depicting those tanks' destruction. As far as I can remember, they said in an interview that shell bursts would be visible in tanks, and tank crewmen could be wounded... Correctly if I'm wrong anyone...

So, they most likely will have a more accurately depicted tank destruction of some sorts.

Upvote 0
This is a brand new game coming out a year from now, lets not start putting all these limitations on it.

What limitations?

I only stated that visually modelling damage to the tanks was possible (and relatively easily if a complex system was too much work i.e deforming a model in the gameworld in real time)

And

That I expect destroyed tank models to disappear after a certain amount of time like tanks and players in ROOST. It'd be cool in certain scenarios if they didn't - but a vehicle constantly getting killed around a certain point in a map could clog up the map pretty well and then break it gameplay-wise.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There should not be a destroyed tank model. The vehicle should become damaged where it is hit. No 'destroyed model', it makes no sense.

That's because in ROOST, you can't damage much besides the engine or ammo. If you hit the ammo, it blows up, and should be a damaged model. In real life (and ROHOS hopefully), you can damage other parts of the tank, making it inoperable, without catastrophically destroying it.

Upvote 0
I'm not suggesting that it should just morph into a blackened charred wreck of a tank. But a tank that actually explodes (i.e flames from all the hatches, ammo store/engine destroyed etc) wouldn't have minor damage from penetration. It would have fire & explosion damage...

Well that is what you said. "Unless it actually is destroyed of course?"

But I also never said that it shouldn't have fire and explosion damage. In fact, that's exactly what I said.

Upvote 0
I was talking about HoS.

So you've seen the tanks and tank damage models in HoS?

What's it like?

Since the first sentence you mentioned ROOST, I assumed you were suggesting what happens in ROOST shouldn't happen in ROHOS. I explained why the catastrophic destruction model is in ROOST, implying it'll probably be different in ROHOS with the more detailed tank damage system.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You guys should check out the RTS game Men of War, very realistic tank model simulation in that game in terms of penetration and the aesthetics of direct hits, hits to the turret, tracks, ammo, engine e.t.c

Basically an AP shell would merely penetrate the tank entering and leaving with only a small entry hole of evidence it had hit, the crew however would be toast but the tank itself would still be intact (If the AP shell hadnt egnited Ammo shells / engine/ fuel)

Sturm

Reactions: [TW]schneidzekk
Upvote 0