• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Supreme Court rules videogames protected by 1st amendment

Wait... so does this mean anyone will be able to buy mature games now (if their parents don't stop them).... or does this just mean that Mature games won't be "hidden away" or something....?

It means that the states can't make laws restricting the sale of videogames, in the same way they can't restrict the sales of books, movies, music, etc.

Upvote 0
lol Loads of nonsense. Trying to sensor games because they could make children act much more aggressive in life due to a deluded psyche. I played GTA4 when I was a little kid and I'm fine now. Well, I'll be back later, I'm gonna go hijack from one of the local farms' crop harvester and drive it into a crowded airport terminal.

Upvote 0
lol Loads of nonsense. Trying to sensor games because they could make children act much more aggressive in life due to a deluded psyche. I played GTA4 when I was a little kid and I'm fine now. Well, I'll be back later, I'm gonna go hijack from one of the local farms' crop harvester and drive it into a crowded airport terminal.

Red Orchestra makes me want to go out and call artillery strikes on people.

Upvote 0
I'd like to see the industry do a better job at helping parents know which video games are appropriate. My friend's 5 year old nephew was playing GTA (badly I assume), which might not be age appropriate.

Of course restricting sales to minors wouldn't necessarily be in the best interest for a company's bottom line.

Well all games sold in stores have to have ESRB ratings; all the GTA games (with a couple of exceptions on gameboy versions) have been rated M (17 and older), and many stores have their own policies about not selling games rated M to minors.

Upvote 0
Hell, Gay marriage in NY, and now this, what's going on over there guys, waking up from the bad dream? :D
Tell me about it. At least video games prevailed.

It means that the states can't make laws restricting the sale of videogames, in the same way they can't restrict the sales of books, movies, music, etc.
I think the only time I've seen a book restricted for purchase is one this sick f**k wrote about how to have proper man-boy love or some bull@#$%. Saw it on the BBC.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Games aren't made for just children, they can be advanced and well written games made by adults for adults. It's about time people realised this.

Also the amount of misrepresented reporting on games from news outlets is shocking. This is from Fox, the woman who is criticising Mass Effect for it's sexual scenes and nudity is asked if she has played it. Her answer, no, yet she is willing to attack and discredit the game. It's damaging and irresponsible journalism creating a moral panic over something that doesn't exist.

YouTube - ‪FOX NEWS Mass Effect Sex Debate‬‏

There has been a relatively recent drive in the UK looking into game classification and the effects on children and the result was the Byron Review. The outcome is that the BBFC will play a larger role in classifying games and how games are sold in outlets. There should be no difference between an 18 rated game and an 18 rated film in terms of social awareness. So when a parent picks up an 18 rated game they should immediately know it's not suitable for their child. This can only be a good thing.

Also this blog by UK film critic Mark Kermode likens the moral panic over MW2 (it was raised in Parliament) to the moral panic surrounding 'video nasties' in the 1980s. It's worth a watch :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/markkermode/2010/01/game_overand_over.html

Last edited:
Upvote 0