• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Summer Update Sneak Preview

You TW Guys never stop to amaze me. Ive never saw any game with such incredible support. Countles free addons and patches, Thank You. I hope You have time to work on Your new ( hopefuly) project ;)

After this update will will have planty of standard tanks to use. We still need more Assault tanks though. I mean like the fallowing:

USSR:

ISU-100
ISU-152

Germany:

Marder 2: would make a better choice for maps that have the SU-76 on them as the Stug3 currently just owns this poor little vehicle.
Elefant
SturmPanzer
Stug3G
JagdPanzer
JadgPanther

The Russians also need the fallowing to help flush out the early war battles:

KV-1
KV-2
T-26

Also for the 100th time please give the Russians a second side arm! We need that Nagant Revolvor! It's been a long time comeing give it too us man we can't take it anymore! LOL JK but realy it would be fun to have something other than semi-atuo pistols.

Upvote 0
So is my understanding of this update accurate? Will the optimizations of the graphics in the game do more than just improve the visual quality of Bloom? If I leave my graphics settings as they are now (no AA, no AS filtering and no bloom), will my framerates actually go up after the new patch comes out? And if the optimizations do increase the frames per second, will this be the case only on the new Tripwire made tank map, or on all of Tripwire's maps old and new, or on every map out there, even the community made maps? I really hope this is for real. I could really use the boost in FPS. If I understand what I have read in a couple of previous posts, some people beta testing this had their frame rates increase by 10-25 FPS. This may seem like a small change for some of you with newer machines, but since I usually get between 10-50 frames per second, an increase of only 10-25 FPS would really help me out. Please tell me that this is true...if so, It could very well be the most important update released for RO:Ost!

Also, will the increasd view distances lower performance, or will it stay the same?

Upvote 0
Was the IV G available in Summer of '42?

According to Chamberlain & Doyle: "Encyclopedia of German Tank of World War Two" (Arms & Armour Press 1978) approx. 170 PzKfw IV Ausf. F2 and G were with (eastern) front units late June 1942. Given the fact that only 175 PzKfw IV F2s was produced between March and July 1942 + 25 converted from F1s quite a number of those 170 tanks were probably Gs.

It is worth noting though, that the attached side armor "Sch

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm sure you meant the "commander's cupola".

Of course. That was a slip of the fingers and my degenerating mind - I was tired from ROing too many hours...

FYI, I'm NO tank fanatic - quite the opposite. I do have some good books on the topic, though that I acquired during my then fanatic Squad Leader period in the late 70-ies/early 80-ies. ;)

I'm more for good gameplay rather than over-complicated "realistic" procedures but whenever you put historical references in a game they SHOULD be correct, be it production dates of tanks or the existence of anachronistic air-conditioning units and hayrolls in maps.

-- Greup, eagerly awaiting what you call 3D sound in RO.

PS. Actually in an ideal RO world I'd go further than the 3D sound specs I've come acrosss in these forums yet. I'd like the surrounding sound to be muffled or entirely silenced through walls. I don't want to hear someones's breath on the other side of a wall that in reality would stop such low-volume sounds dead. The sound players (and weapons) make should be modified by the acoutsic space they occupy but this is probably not doable with the current game-engine and world description. Structures on the map would need to be rated for sound reflectivity and absorption as a function of the texture's "material" and thickness. This would mean a similar focus on acoustics and new sound hardware similar to what we've seen in graphics the last decades. Unfortunately I'm too old to live to see the perfect computer game... :(

Upvote 0
Unfortunately I'm too old to live to see the perfect computer game... :(
That almost made me cry.. :( I dont think youre too old to see, what you maybe dont want to see in a game. And with that I mean all the things you can do with a human beeing. How gory can a game be? What do you think will be allowed. I think it will be like playing a movie.
Say 10 years and weare there. Atleast I think. :)

So how old are you man?! 70? :D

Upvote 0
I don't want to hear someones's breath on the other side of a wall that in reality would stop such low-volume sounds dead. The sound players (and weapons) make should be modified by the acoutsic space they occupy but this is probably not doable with the current game-engine and world description.

This actually IS doable in UE2.5 - every zone has sound environment parameters which would make RO actually a sound engineer's dream - about 2 dozen seperate parameters to play with. Unfortunately, there aren't any mappers/sound engineers around so most people either ignore them completely or just go with the presets.

Structures on the map would need to be rated for sound reflectivity and absorption as a function of the texture's "material" and thickness.

That is not in 2.5 nor is it likely to be in any near future releases imo - people are only just beginning to deal with reflectivity and absorption for light and that is with the driver of selling insanely, increasingly high-ticket graphics cards for the last 10 years.

Upvote 0
How gory can a game be? What do you think will be allowed. I think it will be like playing a movie.
Say 10 years and weare there. Atleast I think. :)

I'm not sure you actually followed my post. I did not speak of gore - I spoke of how realistic SOUND behavior plays a huge part in immersion in any type of game trying to recreate the real world.

And while I'm at it - scrap all in-game music not coming from an in-game radio. RO is not a movie (nor will it ever be - I hope).

When I go out my door I never hear dramatic background muzak as I walk about unless it comes from an iPod and I can tell you this for sure: They didn't have iPods in the 1940-ies.

For my thoughts on your gore thread, I think society's moral aspects on gore and content/story-lines (when present) will increase as graphic realism increases, but then again I did not speak of graphics or morals here since IMHO it's a bit twisted in the first place to digitally reenact the inhuman slaughter of people our beloved RO depicts. If you stop to think about it, that is. Now, back to RO.... ;)

Upvote 0
This actually IS doable in UE2.5 - every zone has sound environment parameters which would make RO actually a sound engineer's dream - about 2 dozen seperate parameters to play with. Unfortunately, there aren't any mappers/sound engineers around so most people either ignore them completely or just go with the presets.

Oh, I was under the impression that non-ambient sounds (meaning player and weapon sounds) were static.

So what you are saying is that, for instance, the shots fired in a sewer could take on another quality than those fired in the open? Wouldn't that mean that you'd have to include different sets of voice/weapon/bullet hit/explosion sounds for each map specific environment (small room, big room, sewer, cathedral, outdoor in the open, outdoor in woods, in trench etc etc)?

That is not in 2.5 nor is it likely to be in any near future releases imo - people are only just beginning to deal with reflectivity and absorption for light and that is with the driver of selling insanely, increasingly high-ticket graphics cards for the last 10 years.

I agree with your assessment. It's much easier to make selling arguments for graphics - that's why I'm a bit pessimistic about the development of better sound hardware.

Upvote 0
could take on another quality than those fired in the open? Wouldn't that mean that you'd have to include different sets of voice/weapon/bullet hit/explosion sounds for each map specific environment (small room, big room, sewer, cathedral, outdoor in the open, outdoor in woods, in trench etc etc)?

you have a wide variety of modifers to chose from, which are applied to the original sound.

Upvote 0
The update also features a new tank variant - the Panzer IV G, as well as a new option to manually reload tank main guns, choosing the next round type first before reloading.

Would it be also possible to switch the type of ammo while one is in the chamber - meaning unloading an AP one when you want to put one into a building full of evil commies? ;D

Upvote 0
Would it be also possible to switch the type of ammo while one is in the chamber - meaning unloading an AP one when you want to put one into a building full of evil commies? ;D

Why? it's a lot quicker to hit the X key to change ammo type and then unload the gun tube in the traditional single left-click method ...

Upvote 0
Kinda doubt it...most of the tanks this game needs (and a lot it could really use) are being made 3rd party, tripwire just has to make them easier to distribute...an overall better solution for everybody.

Tripwire is mostly dedicated to making great changes at the baseline, coding things in how the game looks, feels, plays, etc..as well as making the game more user friendly, especially for admins. This is good, since this is much easier for them to do.

Besides that, they make a great innovative map every few patches, and they have the ability to make it really great by adding a vehicle, or maybe something else, new, that really makes that map great.

Most of tripwire's early additions really were needed to fill glaring gaps which could not be filled by 3rd parties in time, especially considering they were just starting.

Could a king tiger be added? Yes. However, very few people are willing to step into the quagmire of issues associated with the king tiger, controversy over how good it was, and what a tank load out would be that would balance it.

ATM I'd say if you took semi-equal 1941 tanks, say a pz3 with a bt7 (in favor of the pz3) or some other combination (maybe t34 and early model pz4s) and compared them to late war pairings (say a tiger and an is2), if a player was to go from strictly scenario 1 to strictly scenario 2 (say the maps he was on only had 1 tank per side, and the tanks were balanced, but one in a 1941 setting and one in a 1945) the player would find the 1945 tanks do not ergonomically handle better overall, and in some senses worse cause of their looong reload times. Distance, in terms of penetration, is represented, but often it only seems to be represented when the two tanks are of vastly different powers (tiger vs t34/76, and t34s in general, for example)

Upvote 0