• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Summer Update Sneak Preview

I don't know what is fun when everybody is rushing with smg... Battle then is stupid and unrealistic. When rifles is many, smg is more important and it's cool to find it during the battle, like in real where soldiers all the time were taking smg from dead soldiers.

There are so many maps where rifle is the weapon of choice, and the guys that run around with smg get nailed before they even get in range. I don't see this as a problem, though I do think two snipers on a team is to many.

Anyway this is off topic. I'm here to say "woot" to the new update :D

Can't wait to get some serious tank action and not have to worry about satchel charges and Panzerfaust.

Upvote 0
sorry this is so off topic, I just wanted to respond to above

I never notice waves of smg'ers russing everyone normally, and if that happens I'll ususally take out up to five at a time.

as for the commonality of weapons being picked up, I don't know any numbers or anything but to my knowledge the germans loved to get soviet ppsh's and even converted a bunch to 9mm. quote from wiki on ppsh41

"The captured PPSh was in particular a favorite weapon of the Germans. Due to the similar dimensions of the Soviet 7.62 x 25 mm and German 9 mm Parabellum cartridges, the PPSh-41 was easily modified, with a 9 mm barrel and a magazine-well adapter to fire from a standard 32-round MP38/40 magazine. The Wehrmacht officially adopted the converted PPSh-41 as the MP41(r), unconverted PPSh-41s were designated MP717(r)

oh and here's another quote from the wiki on the ppsh41 "The Soviets would often equip whole regiments and even entire divisions with the weapon"

p.s. forgive the hyperlinks, they came with the quote and I can't seem to get rid of them.

Upvote 0
I don't know what is fun when everybody is rushing with smg... Battle then is stupid and unrealistic. When rifles is many, smg is more important and it's cool to find it during the battle, like in real where soldiers all the time were taking smg from dead soldiers.

On the point of realism; both the USSR and Germany used SMG only squads. The USSR employed this tactic above squad level as well.

Regarding the importance of SMGs; they are no more important than rifles. They are just used in different situations.

Finlay, joe soldier would not look for and take SMG from the dead unless he was part of a squad assigned to to this or had received specific orders to retrieve weapons. In both the USSR and Germany the millitary police came down hard on anyone who lost or swapped his original weapon.

Upvote 0
On the point of realism; both the USSR and Germany used SMG only squads. The USSR employed this tactic above squad level as well.

Regarding the importance of SMGs; they are no more important than rifles. They are just used in different situations.

Finlay, joe soldier would not look for and take SMG from the dead unless he was part of a squad assigned to to this or had received specific orders to retrieve weapons. In both the USSR and Germany the millitary police came down hard on anyone who lost or swapped his original weapon.

Shot at 2007-08-12

This is picture of my frend grenfather in the eastfront .He told me they picked them where they seen them.

Upvote 0
Pretty brilliant. Though I had trouble judging simple <1000m shots. I'll have no chance with this new map, but bring it on anyway. The only thing was that:

- You can "hear" rounds coming to you, seems unrealistic and gives you a chance to move away

- The rounds move really slowly, you can practically dodge them when you see them fired on big maps like Orel

So, if the velocity/drop is the same. I'd say it'll be pretty damn easy to dodge tank rounds, even if there's multiple tanks. We haven't even got round to the penetration values. Even point blank kills can richochet, i don't think i'll have any luck at all getting a 2KM kill. Unless it's with a Tiger to the back of a T34/72 :confused:

Upvote 0
Most excellent news gents! I love the tank battles on Orel. This sounds right up my alley. TW....keep on, keeping on...

It sounds right up my alley too!!!

I cant wait to play this one.

Orel was designed with the ~1000m view-distance limit in mind from the start so it wasn't optimised for 3000+m . Hence the big hill in the middle :) The play area in Orel is about 3km wide by 4 km long so its not too much smaller!! :)

But it seems much bigger than it is cause you can only see 1100m or so. I played around with 1600m view distance, and the longer it got the smaller the map seemed.

Upvote 0