• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

KF Stronghold is stunning

Hey! Thanks for the kind words.

A little history on this map - I started it about 5(?) years ago before I was hired by TW (the layout is a little confusing because I was fairly inexperienced in level design at this point). Unfortunately, the map sat around at about 85% complete collecting dust for years. I tried a few times to finish it up and put it in an update, but something always came up instead. Things just happened to work out for the 'End of the Line' update and I'm really glad that people finally get to play it!

Swanky; my prior released works include Wisla River (an RO mod map that sucked), Leningrad (RO1), Ardon (Carpathian Crosses mod for RO1), contract to finish up Fallen Fighters (RO1), Mountain Pass (KF), Red October Factory (RO2), Mamayev Kurgan (RO2), Hillbilly Horror (KF), Maggot Hill (design and last 20% of LD work), lots of work polishing up Rising Storm maps, and now Stronghold. From this list you can probably conclude that I like big maps. ;)

Oh, and sorry about the loot bag achievement. I may be slightly evil.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That map is to much for my sucky laptop to handle it.
It's great. Only thing I don't like is things you need to collect. I cannot believe that all 3 maps have this things. Do people really like to search for this things so much?
It might be me, but those are the lazy achievements. Just like all new maps have 4 "win in x difficulty", now all maps have "Find # X".
It does get annoying when that one low perk joins a server just to hunt :/

Upvote 0

Theres me thinking the other day it would be great to find out who created that achievement... :)

... does Stronghold have a dungeon?

Cause I know a 'few' players who'd like to put you there for the duration of finding all the bags unaided! :D

Nice work btw. It is v. nice map to actually just play!

Upvote 0
Hey! Thanks for the kind words.

A little history on this map - I started it about 5(?) years ago before I was hired by TW (the layout is a little confusing because I was fairly inexperienced in level design at this point). Unfortunately, the map sat around at about 85% complete collecting dust for years. I tried a few times to finish it up and put it in an update, but something always came up instead. Things just happened to work out for the 'End of the Line' update and I'm really glad that people finally get to play it!

Swanky; my prior released works include Wisla River (an RO mod map that sucked), Leningrad (RO1), Ardon (Carpathian Crosses mod for RO1), contract to finish up Fallen Fighters (RO1), Mountain Pass (KF), Red October Factory (RO2), Mamayev Kurgan (RO2), Hillbilly Horror (KF), Maggot Hill (design and last 20% of LD work), lots of work polishing up Rising Storm maps, and now Stronghold. From this list you can probably conclude that I like big maps. ;)

Interesting story here. So you started with mapping for Red Orchestra (the mod) and then continued until TWI hired you. Is it safe to assume that you are currently working on KF 2 Maps then? And if so, there's to be some larger maps which may be a nice change.
Liking larger maps isn't a shame, it's a shame that there's not more of them. Made a good few of those myself back in the UT days...

As far as Stronghold goes, I like it, although it could have used a few more landmarks to tell you where you are. The inside walkways are kinda confusing as is, but that's about it. I would usually come up with a couple of different remarks about breaking up the walls, but if you're looking at old ruins, they are ally made of the same boring stones so it's ok. Also didn't see a lot of misalignments which is also good and fogging is about right. Haven't had a change in playing this map online for now, though.

Upvote 0
Yes, you are... I / we spent over 2 hours on finding all 50 bags... (on the day of relase, there were no guides out ...) Glad to never have to find them again!... :rolleyes:

@Stronghold: wide open spaces for long range firefights and narrow rooms and hallways for intense carnage

@Mountain Pass: one of the maps I play the most

Thanks for the maps!

Upvote 0
The think I like the most in Stronghold is that you can go/jump almost everywhere: there are no ridiculous blocking volumes around the map. You can jump from one rooftop to another, you can go through crack in the wall etc. And this doesn't make zeds stuck or create exploitable areas, where zeds can't reach you. You can even jump into well next to the spawn ;)

Upvote 0
... does Stronghold have a dungeon?

Cause I know a 'few' players who'd like to put you there for the duration of finding all the bags unaided! :D

There actually was plans for a dungeon under the middle of the map. I cut it early on because I realized the map was stupidly big as it is. I also cut it because some people might want to throw me in there. :p

Upvote 0
Kudos for a great map. I had to take a peek inside the SDK just to see how complex it looked from within. Yes, it is.

I will say that the "timing" of the Zed drops is right on. We tried kiting on this map on Suicidal with 2 zerk and a medic, and it was extremely difficult to keep together. The Zerks would separate due to the horde that was around us, and I as a medic didn't have the immunity to being stopped on a dime by a raining down clot from above.

We managed a win on the 2nd Suic Kiting attempt because - the Team was together on wave 11, topside on a long upper wall between 2 Towers. We had a mediocre amount of pipes scattered, and the 3 of us had flares.

The Pat took some Pipe damage but.... alot of Flare Damage, and decided to run away at top speed. He jumped over a very small obstruction, and then took a hard right and dove over the outter wall, and landed off the map. The two zerks managed to use either flares or crossbow to finish the stuck Pat.

You say "five years" , but it would be nice to know a nice SWAG of how many total hours it took over the past 5 years to get this awesome map done. Rarely do I call things awesome.

The Stronghold has the Beauty, the Frustration and then the head slapping realization that there is an ultimate camp for the Suic and HOE gameplay.....To keep me from being spent after 11 waves.

yeah, Some of the open ground, looked as if it was strange - like something was there, but I couldn't put my finger on it - It was a small window of sanity on a chaotic style map. = )

Great work.

Last edited:
Upvote 0