• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Stockpiling

What are you talking about? On both points, you change the discussion.

I think you're being too much of an ethicist here :p To me, cheating would be exploiting something like the old trader-glitch on biohazard or getting on top of west london with the fence. To use ammo that your weapons spawn with to me is just smart/creative.

Before you said

Oh, so your problem isn't with suiciding for spawn-weapons which you then sell, right?

Then you state

I can't quite address the way you want me to because I would first have to treat it as "cheating", which I don't think it is. We've said that already. But um, I don't understand your point anyway. Why WOULDN'T the sharpshooter target scrakes, the commando/support trash, and the demoman the FPs? Doing it another way just shows the players are clueless, so of course they're going to run out of ammo anyway.

Before you said

Your problem is with players being able to spam because they have endless ammo, right? Well, here I just disagree because even without stockpiling weapons, you will never run out of ammo if every class does its job. The sharpshooter kills every scrake with 2 bolts, the commando and support kill trash, and the demo kills FPs.

So to reply to all points

1) "To use ammo that your weapons spawn with to me is just smart/creative." Yes, using ammo that a player spawns with is smart/creative.

2) "Oh, so your problem isn't with suiciding for spawn-weapons which you then sell, right?" I think suiciding for spawn-weapons is cheating

3) "Why WOULDN'T the sharpshooter target scrakes, the commando/support trash, and the demoman the FPs?" Yes, the players should target the mobs their perk and weapons favor.

4) "Your problem is with players being able to spam because they have endless ammo, right?" Yes, my problem with players stacking weapons is that they effectively have infinite ammo for the wave. I think that is cheating.

Upvote 0
What are you talking about? On both points, you change the discussion.

Before you said

Then you state

Before you said

So to reply to all points

1) "To use ammo that your weapons spawn with to me is just smart/creative." Yes, using ammo that a player spawns with is smart/creative.

2) "Oh, so your problem isn't with suiciding for spawn-weapons which you then sell, right?" I think suiciding for spawn-weapons is cheating

3) "Why WOULDN'T the sharpshooter target scrakes, the commando/support trash, and the demoman the FPs?" Yes, the players should target the mobs their perk and weapons favor.

4) "Your problem is with players being able to spam because they have endless ammo, right?" Yes, my problem with players stacking weapons is that they effectively have infinite ammo for the wave. I think that is cheating.

Well no, I was trying to be polite to you. You didn't reply to several of my points until two posts after I made them, so naturally I had to ask about them again out of order to get your attention. Your last post just comes off as pretentious as by trying to highlight my lack of structure you just emphasize your own. Really, is there any need for this?

Anyway, we've exhausted the "in my opinion this is not/cheating" point, so let me address the only other thing you've said. "Effectively having infinite ammo" - no, not infinite at all. At first you said 10 rockets for the LAW and 40 shells for the shotgun, then you said "hundreds of rounds", and now you're claiming "effectively infinite."

There is just no excuse to gradually increase the amount you exaggerate with each post unless you're just trying to compensate for a weak point, which it is. If your value was "skill", then in that context having infinite ammo would in fact be a very reasonable thing to use against me, but instead your value is "cheating/exploiting." Because spawnselling/whatever you'll call it does not break the "rules" of KF (there have to be rules before you call something cheating, and as far as I can see there aren't any ordinances), it isn't even that. What are you left saying, honestly? That you're angry that people can give themselves leeway to a situation that if they play skillfully doesn't arise anyway.

Reactions: the 1st wasted
Upvote 0

These 4 points sum up pretty well what a great deal of the players do in KF wrong (yes in my view these things are wrong for others it is completely right). People compensate poor aim or mindless shooting with stockpiling, they shoot anything in sight not caring about the consequences (enraging fps, create smoke screens when sharper is aiming for scrake, same can go for firebug, etc) forgetting their roles. Players compensate their weaknesses with these methods, and for some this is legit and for others it isn't. I think it's useless to debate further, we are all different, with different preferences and playstyles, we won't come on terms anyways. I think everyone should simply enjoy the game the way they want to. That's what I've learnt from this thread

Upvote 0
These 4 points sum up pretty well what a great deal of the players do in KF wrong (yes in my view these things are wrong for others it is completely right). People compensate poor aim or mindless shooting with stockpiling, they shoot anything in sight not caring about the consequences (enraging fps, create smoke screens when sharper is aiming for scrake, same can go for firebug, etc) forgetting their roles. Players compensate their weaknesses with these methods, and for some this is legit and for others it isn't. I think it's useless to debate further, we are all different, with different preferences and playstyles, we won't come on terms anyways. I think everyone should simply enjoy the game the way they want to. That's what I've learnt from this thread

Alright, fine. It's true that we've established our opinions. Can you tell me though, as a separate point, why skill and stockpiling are mutually exclusive? I stockpile, and I don't think it automatically places me into the "spammer" category. It's a bit unfair to label anyone who stockpiles as such :(

Upvote 0
Alright, fine. It's true that we've established our opinions. Can you tell me though, as a separate point, why skill and stockpiling are mutually exclusive? I stockpile, and I don't think it automatically places me into the "spammer" category. It's a bit unfair to label anyone who stockpiles as such :(

Well the act of stockpiling doesn't make you unskilled or a spammer we can agree on that. But if you play your role well (and hopefully the others too) you won't need the additional ammo from the stockpiled weapons. Why stockpile then?
The other reason is a kind of stereotype. Most if not all stockpilers I've met only bought the extra weapons because they wanted to spray mindlessly (firebugs, commandos I recall mostly). Therefore they've been labeled unskilled for me.

If I see someone who plays well but still stockpiles I won't say hes a noob, but the two somewhat eliminate each other for me. I hope you see my point

Upvote 0
Well no, I was trying to be polite to you. You didn't reply to several of my points until two posts after I made them, so naturally I had to ask about them again out of order to get your attention. Your last post just comes off as pretentious as by trying to highlight my lack of structure you just emphasize your own. Really, is there any need for this?

I replied to your questions as you asked them. You replying to my replies as if they were completely different points is why I replied to all four in the same post.

Anyway, we've exhausted the "in my opinion this is not/cheating" point, so let me address the only other thing you've said. "Effectively having infinite ammo" - no, not infinite at all.

That is why I said "effectively" infinite. Which it is.

What is the difference between ten thousand, one million, two million, and infinite bullpup rounds in the game? None whatsoever. And the reason is a player will never fire all of them in a game. So while one million rounds isn't an infinite amount of rounds, it is effectively infinite.

There doesn't even need to be a million rounds in the game. The numbers are much much smaller. The be effectively infinite, something only needs to be available when needed.

Same thing with stockpiling weapons. If someone stacks 6 xbows then they have a bolt every time they need it. Effectively infinite ammo. If someone stacks half a dozen bullpups then they have for that wave, which is all that matters, infinite ammo. After all, that is why they are stacking weapons. So they will have firepower whenever they need it during the wave.

Having infinite ammo doesn't mean an ammo box that holds tens of thousands of rounds. It just means stacking and using weapons that magically hold a maximum load of ammo so there is always ammo when needed.

At first you said 10 rockets for the LAW and 40 shells for the shotgun, then you said "hundreds of rounds", and now you're claiming "effectively infinite."

There is just no excuse to gradually increase the amount you exaggerate with each post unless you're just trying to compensate for a weak point, which it is.

I didn't. Let's go over the examples in the order you stated.

"10 rockets for the LAW" LAW holds more than 10 rockets, yes? I don't know offhand and I didn't care to check. So if someone throws a LAW on the deck it holds more than 10 rockets.

"40 shells for the shotgun" Shotgun holds more than 40 shells, yes? I don't know offhand and I didn't care to check. So if someone throws a shotgun on the deck it holds more than 40 shells.

"hundreds of rounds" Bullpup & SCAR hold more than a few hundred rounds, yes? Again, I don't know offhand and I didn't care to check so I said hundreds. So if someone throws a bullpup, SCAR, and/or multiples of those then they have hundreds if not thousands of rounds at their disposal.

That is also why I mentioned drums for the AA12, tanks for the flamer, bolts for the xbow, and I could have mentioned grenades as well. By stacking weapons on the deck the player eliminates the ammo limitation.

Again, effectively infinite ammo doesn't mean millions of shots (for a lack of a better term). It just means whenever a person needs ammo they have it. 5 aa12s, holding one and four on the deck, is effectively infinite ammo.

Because spawnselling/whatever you'll call it does not break the "rules" of KF (there have to be rules before you call something cheating, and as far as I can see there aren't any ordinances), it isn't even that.

I didn't say "spawn selling" broke any rules. I said it was cheating. You asked me if I had a problem with that and I said yes.

Just to be clear. By "spawn selling", I mean choosing a perk, spawning with the weapon, changing perks, suicide, and then respawning to get multiple top weapons for free.

Spawning as a sharpie, playing a level to sell the xbow at the end of a level, and then switching to another perk isn't cheating.

What are you left saying, honestly? That you're angry that people can give themselves leeway to a situation that if they play skillfully doesn't arise anyway.

Not angry. Why would I be angry? I play the way I think is best. Others can play the way they think is best. I think stacking weapons on the deck and spawnselling to get multiple free weapons is cheating. You may disagree. That's fine as well.

Upvote 0
why is this retarded argument in "ideas and suggestions" ?

you guys should post this spamjunk in "tactics" or somewhere else.

after being on these forums for 4 years now i've seen ppl argue about some useless points, like they mean to change the way EVERYONE plays just by reiterating the way they think everyone should play over and over and over again.
this sure fits in that category.

so stop arguing about something that doesnt matter.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@nutterbutter: as mr OP has stated, we have fully articulated ourselves. The one minor thing I'd like to correct though is that by saying something is cheating, you are by implication saying there are "rules." If there are not any rules, then you cannot cheat because everything is allowed. What I'm trying to say is your "rules" are in a sense just "sportsmanship" which I think is irrelevant in something like a videogame.

To clarify: what I meant about your numbers is that with every example (in order), you brought up bigger and bigger numbers. Yeah, I don't care for the specific number, but you can understand why going from 10+ to 40+ to 100+ is much more effective than, say, a different order. It's a minor poisoned well argument because after each example I'm left having to argue against a bigger number. Of course it's specific to the weapon and "hundreds" is clearly irrelevant as far as the LAW goes, but it still looks bad. I wasn't disputing your numbers :rolleyes:

Okay, since that might be perceived as trying to instigate, let me say that I agree with everything else you've said. Derp.

after being on these forums for 4 years now i've seen ppl argue about some useless points, like they mean to change the way EVERYONE plays just by reiterating the way they think everyone should play over and over and over again.

Eh... I just... how do you even reply to something like this... I mean, nihilism man, look into it. Nothing matters, right? Here, join this cult: www.vhemt.org

Last edited:
Reactions: Braiken
Upvote 0

I guess we are all entitled to argue about "spamjunk" and "useless points". You're raw style is quite offending, you're acting like someone absolute, while you're hardly are. Noone wanted to change "the way everyone plays" I simply tossed in an idea and others told me why it wouldnt be good. I came to a conclusion and feel wiser after reading the replies so it was a useful thread. If you got some constructive criticism about the things being discussed do share elseway troll elsewhere. Although you're right this thread should be moved to general discussion since it went into a different direction

Upvote 0
@ OP

Not the worst idea in the world to be fair, however I don't think it will work. All a player will have to do is refill their current weapon and swap it for the one on the floor during the trader wave. This will buy an extra wave for both weapons each time.

I agree that stockpiling is a problem, and a bad tactic for players to have. However I feel that anyone who does it ahead of supporting the rest of their team will most likely find themselves with a lack of proper support and have to overextend themselves to cover up for the rest of the teams shortcomings.

Usually this will result in a wipe. :)

Upvote 0
I didn't say "spawn selling" broke any rules. I said it was cheating.

So what definition of cheating are you using?

I'm pretty sure everyone arguing with you (every time you post this) is probably thinking of "to violate rules or regulations" or "to violate rules dishonestly" the examples of which are "cheat at cards" and "cheating on a test."

Maybe a better tactic would be to rephrase. "Stockpiling weapons is unsportsmanlike." or "Stockpiling is not honorable." or even "Stockpiling is exploiting an unrealistic game mechanic and is often a crutch for poor player skill." But then, people wouldn't argue with you, threads wouldn't derail, and you wouldn't get all this attention.

Upvote 0
But then, people wouldn't argue with you, threads wouldn't derail, and you wouldn't get all this attention.

Tomato. Tomato. Nothing other than your ego forced you into replying. And don't think for a second it was anything other than that. Your post was nothing more than a virtual finger pointing.

ro_sauce said:

Sorry, no. Play the way you want. I'm voicing my opinion. I'm not telling anyone how to play.

I am perfectly content for you to have your opinion and me to have mine. We don't have to agree. sph34r and I still disagree. That's cool. World accepts all opinions.

Upvote 0
What's the difference between stockpiling "magical" weapons and stockpiling the extra ammo?
Buying extra ammo with money you earned is cheating?
I agree you shouldn't need it but so what?

If it worked like stockpiling extra ammo, I wouldn't care. Drop a bullpup on the deck and when you pick it up, you have another 50 rounds. But it doesn't work like that. If a lvl 6 commando drops a bullpup on the deck, they have an extra 400 rounds per weapon because 7 magazines magically attach themselves to the weapon.

Upvote 0

One more thing. What do you care? It isn't as if anyone is forcing you to participate or even view this thread every day or every time you visit the forum. If you see a thread you don't care for then just don't click on it.

As for arguing, it is a good thing. As long as the discussion or argument stays polite, then people see other's points of view and weigh things they hadn't considered. Occasionally people's opinions change. Usually people just dig in their heels. Both are fine.

Upvote 0
If someone stacks 6 xbows then they have a bolt every time they need it. Effectively infinite ammo.

9AC6CD619B0BED8223DA9B31DD68DF37D9926CFA

F87112724C7202139D3AECFC610BC68DCD2F7FAA

I do it because I can.

Reactions: CandleJack
Upvote 0