• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

KF Still supporting KF?

As long as the code is left alone, and no mod breaking changes, doesn't really bother me. But, from past experience... Not holding my breath :s just gets tiring having to fix stuff, over and over and over again... After each update. But, can hope I guess. :)

I remember back when we were making the RO mod for UT2003/4. Epic's update's broke our game all the time. I wasn't happy about it, but I just accepted it as part of modding.

For us we do whatever we can to avoid breaking community content. But sometimes it just can't be helped. I would look at it this way, we could be like DICE and not even have any mod support at all. Modders should keep in mind just how incredibly expensive and time consuming it is to have mod support in a game. So much so that most games have dropped it altogether. We do it because we're modders at heart, and we think modding is great for gaming. But maybe think about that before you grumble next time.

Upvote 0
I remember back when we were making the RO mod for UT2003/4. Epic's update's broke our game all the time. I wasn't happy about it, but I just accepted it as part of modding.

For us we do whatever we can to avoid breaking community content. But sometimes it just can't be helped. I would look at it this way, we could be like DICE and not even have any mod support at all. Modders should keep in mind just how incredibly expensive and time consuming it is to have mod support in a game. So much so that most games have dropped it altogether. We do it because we're modders at heart, and we think modding is great for gaming. But maybe think about that before you grumble next time.

We really appreciate this. And I want to thank you you one more time for all the mod support that you have provided and keep providing to us. I understand those cases, when you need breaking something to make something you. But you need to understand us (modders) too. During last 2 years KF patches brought a lot of absolutely unnecessary mod-breaking code changes, like putting an extra argument in the middle of function's argument list (instead of putting it at the end and marking it optional) or deleting unused variables from base classes (instead of marking them as deprecated).

Upvote 0

I agree with what Poosh said there, so no need for me to say the same. I to thank you for the mod support, it's what kept me with the game. I would go into more detail, but I'm on my phone, and I don't feel like typing a huge amount in it :p

But, to summarize things. Thank you for making kf, one of the best if not the best coop fps games out there. Thank you for the open source on kf game content, including the dlc, have learned from the code and have been able to mod up some cool stuff. Even though I quit playing kf vanilla after around 175 hours or so, out of my over 2000 plus hours(rest of the time has been on my modded servers), I still buy the dlc content to support TWI, as long as it's priced reasonable, and because you allow the source to be open on the dlc as well.

But, please remember, modders are what give life to a game once it has ran out of original life. Yes, you are right about other companies not allowing modders to mod their game, and I try to make sure not to buy their games nor support them. I have been told by many people that play on my server, that they had stopped playing kf and started again when they heard about my servers/mod or even bought the game, just for my servers or mod, and I'm sure that can be said for Poosh's scrn balance mod and other mods he has made, WPC and all their mods, and especially Marco, and all his mods and especially server perks, and the many other modders that have made weapons, zeds, skins, mods, etc. etc...

So, please remember, we spend our time modding, we don't make anything from it and actually running servers it cost, but I do it to bring enjoyment to gamers and to help support a great game TWI has made. So, actually we walk hand and hand. But, typed more than I planned... So, thank you again for making kf, and allowing mod support, and open source for its game content. :) and hopefully kf2 will be even better at supporting those that wish to mod it. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That's all we do in this game, we keep waiting and waiting...

Maybe that's all you do. I play the game.

It's good to see that TWI aren't just going to throw KF on the scrap heap as soon as KF2 is released. That makes me happy; because I will no doubt need somewhere to run back to after wiping on wave 3, 8 times in a row, on Normal, in KF2

Upvote 0