• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Static meshes not casting shadows on BSP.

[TW]DrGuppy

Tripwire Interactive Staff
Nov 22, 2005
Atlanta, Georgia
Well, here's an odd problem I'm having at the moment. Static meshes in my map are not casting shadows on BSP, but they are casting shadows on everything else normally. Moving the BSP or statics and rebuilding does not fix the problem. Duplicating the statics also does not work. So far, the only solution I've found is to re-add each static mesh (1804 total in the map) from scratch and redo their settings, not exactly ideal. I suppose redoing all the BSP would also work, but again, not ideal. Any ideas?

Dont understand why or what is happening Guppy in all honesty, maybe 25 has hit the nail on the head already. If it was me I would try to copy the whole map to a new file and rebuild, maybe something in the world settings causing it. Hopefully it's just a simple setting somewhere gone astray.

If it comes to replacing all the statics ( big ouch ) have you tried changing them through the display properties = F5 - Display - staticmesh - USE instead of coping or delete and insert.

If changing through properties works it would allow you at least to replace the meshes in groups = select matching staticmeshes - F5 - Display - staticmesh - USE

Will search through google to see if i can stumble across anything for you.

Filthy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Whats the lightmap set to on the BSP?

All different numbers, and it doesn't make a difference if I change it.

Dont understand why or what is happening Guppy in all honesty, maybe 25 has hit the nail on the head already. If it was me I would try to copy the whole map to a new file and rebuild, maybe something in the world settings causing it. Hopefully it's just a simple setting somewhere gone astray.

If it comes to replacing all the statics ( big ouch ) have you tried changing them through the display properties = F5 - Display - staticmesh - USE instead of coping or delete and insert.

If changing through properties works it would allow you at least to replace the meshes in groups = select matching staticmeshes - F5 - Display - staticmesh - USE

Will search through google to see if i can stumble across anything for you.

Filthy.

I haven't tried copying everything into a new map yet because that resets all of the BSP lightmap values and I would have to redo them all. F5 > Display > StaticMesh > USE also does not work. For some reason, only new static meshes will cast shadows on BSP (even duplicating the static mesh will not work).

EDIT: Copying everything into a new map does not work. The only solution that works so far is to replace all statics one by one and redo their settings, and I won't do that because it will take days (at least I would only have to do it for statics that are close to BSP). Grumbles. :(

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What if you move the SM a bit around and then recompile? does the shadow reappear?
If you group all the SM into one, hide them, compile and then unhide them and compile, do the shadows reappear?
If you copy the SMs into a new map, delete them in the original, recompile and then recopy the SM into the map, does it solve the issue?

Also have you tried to set the shadow quality on RGB8?

after that, I'm out of ideas.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for the help everyone. It seems like I'm getting closer to solving this. I've tried the other suggestions you guys had with no change in the results, however...

Cull Distance ON = No Shadow.

This seems to be partially true and definitely on the right track. Turning off all cull distances does in fact give me proper SM shadows on BSP. I can actually still have cull distances, but they must be far enough to reach the actual sunlught actors. Simply moving the sunlight actors into the main world space (and therefore closer to the SMs) fixed most of the shadows. For the rest of the shadow problems I can increase the cull distances until they are within range of the sunlight actors.

Unfortunately, this isn't exactly ideal, but I can live with it. Many SMs will need to have their cull distances increased just to have shadows and I don't see a reason for this. I wonder if there's a way to have a very low cull distance and still keep the shadows. Would be nice. Thanks again for the help. :)

Upvote 0