• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

STALKER Mega-Thread; Clear Skies are Coming!

Quoting this to the next page because it's a good post.

I think I won't buy this until the bugs are fixed and the mods are out. As much as I love STALKER, they clearly messed up in some ways.

Leaving out Germany and France i can understand in some cases, they have messed up laws about games, but honestly, they can't come up with a solution that lets them release their games in European countries where this is not an issue? thats just crummy.

That's the very first thing i plan to mod, it's just downright silly the way it is, the damage too, honestly, with the high spread and the miniscule damage potential of thease guns, i often find myself using 2 or more AK mags to take down just one single bandit at a mere 15 to 20 meters range.. and thats AFTER upgrading the AK fully, with a standard one you'll be better off rushing the bastard and knifing him.

I've come too far to mess with the code right now, i don't want to risk srewing up my savegames just before the final streatch, but once i beat it, i'll cave in its skull with a tire iron, and feast on whatever leaks out untill thouse guns behave like firearms!

EDIT: Actually, i feel i need to rant about the combat and balance issues a bit, or vent if you will.

The combat just reaks of "fake-dificulty", there is no skill involved with fighting in S-CS, the only thing that really matters is that you bring enough ammo and enough medkits and bandages to get you through it, it all comes down to getting as clouse as possible to your target, and then just point the gun in their general direction, it wont hit where you aim anyway, so just aim somewhere in the right ballpark and hold down the trigger.
Its just not fun, every single fight, even if its against just one single enemy, is a long, dull war of attrition, just spam the general area with gunfire and keep reloading and administering medkits as needed.. forget all about tactics, they are useless, even if you do spend a long time sneaking up on a group of enemies, setting up the fight so you have the perfect cover position to engage them from, by the time you have FINALLY killed the first target, it will have taken so long his buddies will have had ample time to go read a newspaper, drink a cup of coffee, and then circle your position and there they are unloading their shotguns in your backside!

Thease combat mechanics also lead to another problem, you really have to carry a ton of ammo and meds around with you at all times, because every fight you will have to face will cost you a ton of resources.. but how can i make money if im allready carrying so much junk around just to survive, i barely have any room left for items i want to sell? and lets face it, moving around with too much stuff is actually harder now than it was in S-Soc, and it would seem that all the artifacts that used to give us more endurance, now give us Psy or electric protection instead, and your sprint meter only recharges now if you stand still, so traveling can be a real pain now.

Speaking of artifacts, whats the point of using thouse things? they used to have a big positive effect and a small negative one, so they where very handy if you combined them right, but now, their positive effects are tiny, and their negatves (usually that they are radioactive as hell) is equal to their positives, they really don't help you, they just give you with one hand and slap you with the other.

The missions are also way off on their timing, here's some examples:

I join the Cordon loners and im on the final mission, wipe out the bandits in their base at the Garbage, ok, i go do that, there's a ton of the buggers (and nearby bandit outposts joined in on the fun to add insult to injury) and a spend allmost a whole ingame day on the mission and clouse to 900 5.45x39mm rounds, 15 medkits and a ton of bandages because my AK can't hit a damned thing, and i go straight back for my reward, and whats my reward for doing this? 750 Rubels (not even enough to cover all the ammo i wasted, and thouse cheapo Bandits only carry shotguns and MP5's) and 4 seconds (litteraly) after i have collected my reward, their back again! the same mission is live once more..

Or there's the the Stalker camp at the Agroprom, you go there, and Bandits attack the front gate, you fight them off, seconds later bandits attack the rear entrance, you fail that mission because you can't even sprint there before they kill all the stalkers, but you kill them anyway, then mutants attack and you gotta go kill them, ugh.. so you head over to the Duty base to get your SEVA patched up, and BAM, you've only just left the facility and bandits are at the front gate again! and you'll never make it there before its all over..

Or Yantar, ohh yes, thouse fun loving zombies know no limits! they can soak up a million rounds before dying, but hey, thats no reason why we shoulden't fight off dusins of them attacking the scientists every 30 minutes, right? that fun right? but the fun doesen't really start untill they send a whole 3 waves of them at us in one single attack!

I played S-Soc from start to finish with Zero failed missions, if i ballsed something up i'd reload and do it again propper for my own smug self satiesfaction, but in S-CS, i have more failures than successes, and i don't even care anymore, because either they will fail because i can't sprint there in time (mission gets triggered too early), or my game would stop cold in its tracks, because the missions pop back up again just as fast (or faster) than i can compleate them, so you are forced to ignore them if you want to continue playing the storyline (or just plain don't want to do the same 1 or 2 missions for an eternity)..

They really messed up thease mechanics, i just don't understand how they could have felt this was a good and fun direction to take the game, honestly.. S-CS has so much potential, give it combat (gun-tweaks mainly) thats actually fun and rewarding, fix some balance and mission timing issues, and you have a winner here, and the good news is that this is all something that can and will be fixed by modders, and with thease issues fixed, the game will be very fun indeed! it's just unfortunate that GSC didn't take note of how people where modding S-Soc and said to themselves "hey would you look at that, i guess that's what our fanbase would like to see, lets make the next one with that in mind", so we have to do it ourselves.

Upvote 0
Is it just me or is the bar gone? What was that area where you had the arena, bar etc? I just can't find it anymore in S-CS.

Another thing that's bothering me is stupid emissions. First time it was atmospheric but then i had like three emissions per day which was just silly. Funny thing was it always happened in garbage, and when i had to look out for a secure place i went into that underground cellar/bunker(where you once had to go and then were flashed/robbed by bandits and you had to pick up a pda) and thought i'd be totally save. However the emission just killed me. So i reloaded and ran to the yellow point on the map which was on the flee market under some rubble but in the end i was still out in the open sky. And guess what, it didn't kill me. Now how is that logical.

Upvote 0
Agree with Grobut, its pretty messed up at the moment. And I've only played to after being robbed, still the endless requests for help are annoying. I guess you can just ignore them however, to continue the main mission, its not like they will kick you out of the faction :p

Not yet seen an emission so can't comment on that.

I've not yet found a sleep mod that works, theres one on filefront but it crashes for me... :( I run these minor mods without any problems though:

clearsky_nocrosshair.zip
ClearSky_NoIntro.zip
clearsky_noloadingdisk.zip
real_weapon_name_cs_eng_ita_fixed.zip
SCS_Authenticity_Sound_Pack.zip (all NPCs speak Russian)
weapon_damage_iron_sight_clear_sky_.zip

That last one seems to make weapons much deadlier and accurate, not sure if that also applies to enemies? Might help you guys annoyed with the hopeless vanilla weapons, it also returns the pistol ironsights which is sweet :)

The authenticity sound pack is a bit hard to find but if you want I can dig up the link.

Upvote 0
Here's a little something i'd like you guys to try, to help me tune in my modage of S-CS, its the weapon/AI mod i made for my own ammusement in OLmod 2.1 (or is it 2.2? the latest version.. but it should also work with older versions), if you still have Stalker-Soc and the OLmod installed, i'd love it if you gave this a quick try and share your opinions of it, it'll really help me out!

http://files.filefront.com/OLmod+gunznaizip/;11839291;/fileinfo.html

Make a copy of the gamedata dir so you have a backup, and then just dump thease files into the correct folders, overwriting the old ones.
The mod should work just fine both in a new game, or in any savegames you have, though a map change may be needed to update the AI in savegames.

Here's what it does:

Weapons:

1 ) All guns do more damage.
2 ) All guns have more accuracy.
3 ) Damage is based on caliber, what i know of guns, and length of barrel, not on how "cool" or rare the gun is.
4 ) Guns degrade very very slowly, but some more than others (ex: AK's are neigh indestructable, LR300's are not).
5 ) Guns dont jam quite as often even when damaged (again, some are worse than others).
6 ) Weapon accuracy is the same hipped or aimed (i recommend disabeling the crosshair, its funner!).
7 ) The VSS now has a 20 round mag like the VAL.
8 ) The MAC-10 now uses .45 ACP instead of 9x19mm.
9 ) Silencers/Suppresors actually work now, nearby enemies will hear "something" and go into alert/search mode, but they wont know where it came from and come running unless they have spotted you (a good investment if you want to play stealthy).

AI tweaks:

1 ) Their viewing radius has been reduced slightly, aiding stealth.
2 ) They wont hit you with every single shot anymore, but still, they use the same guns you do so be carefull.
3 ) Crouching now makes you allmost silent (low crouch fully silent), you can sneak up on them now, even get knife kills.
4 ) Their night vision is slightly reduced.
5 ) Mutants are nolonger neigh immortal gods, OLmod has a ton of them, so i have made them much easier to kill (hunting is fun! i recommend the ToZ-34 for all your safari needs).

And i think thats about it.. maybe there's some more im forgetting, but you'll figure it out :)

Now, what i'd like to know is this:

1 ) How's the dmage? too much? too little? are some horribly imbalanced?
2 ) How's the accuracy? too much? not enough? are some of them imbalanced?
3 ) Are the AI tweaks the wave of the future? or would you like to see more of something? or less of something? how's it working out?
4 ) Anything else?

Getting some feedback on this stuff will help me tremendously!

Upvote 0
Wow the ending was just plain horrible..
Spoiler!

I literately feel sick to my stomach after beating this game.

Upvote 0
Wow the ending was just plain horrible..
Spoiler!

I literately feel sick to my stomach after beating this game.
Spoiler!

For anybody who isnt planning on playing this anyways heres the ending on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2Ws1EJyiyY

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Wow, nice new sounds Joshua, thanks.

I dont care if I spoil the ending, its not that important anyway, what matters is how good the game itself is. And frankly its kinda disappointing so far ... graphically its awesome but gameplay wise, meh ... mods are bound to fix it though.

Grobut; you should make the NPCs nadespam less

Upvote 0