• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Soviet Storm: WW2 In the East

Holy.Death

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 17, 2011
Soviet Storm: WW2 In the East (Battle of Stalingrad) (bg-subs) - YouTube

Edit: Mixed videos. Now it should be correct. It looks like this video doesn't have YouTube subtitles.

A more direct place to watch it, with subtitles too.

A few words from me - take note when informations about the Battle for Stalingrad will be heard. It should show you that one of the most famous battles in the history of World War 2 has been, in fact, shown quite well in Red Orchestra 2. It's also a well done video (and a part of the larger video series) in its own right.

Last edited:
Reactions: Proud_God
The Beast (nl) - You might be interested with part of Soviet Storm regarding the Battle of Kursk.

M55ikael - Indeed, my mistake. I visit other parts of the forums so rarely that I overlooked existence of History part in Off Topic section.

Bluehawk - Perhaps, I simply wanted to highlight that people shouldn't complain so much about the gameplay, everyone being sniper and so on. Because it actually fits the reality of the game period. Now, it's problem that the reality isn't what the people wanted to see... We have to simply move away from the perspective of the single battle and give people more various maps, terrain, content and so on.

flavin420 - Sometimes they do. In fact it gives the game a new kick and a whole new experience when that happens.

Upvote 0
Hahahaha! Watched all these in Russian with English subtitles, not knowing that there was an English version. Sounds more epic in the original version, though, I have to say. It's an artfully done documentary series, far better than what the Military Channel/History Channel put on these days, unfortunately...

Upvote 0
History Channel's really taken a nose dive the last 5 years or so.

I wish there was a channel with nothing but university level lectures set over WW2 combat footage (not CGI either). Now that I would watch.

CGI isnt necesarly bad, but I do suppose it does asociate itself badly.

Maybe it is a distarction?

Upvote 0
Hahahaha! Watched all these in Russian with English subtitles, not knowing that there was an English version. Sounds more epic in the original version, though, I have to say. It's an artfully done documentary series, far better than what the Military Channel/History Channel put on these days, unfortunately...
here's the original (with subtitles): Great War. Series 1 - Barbarossa. part 1 of 5 - YouTube

my post in the comments section 5 days ago:
The adaptation of this excellent documentary for the History Channel is outrageous. Twice so far (I'm currently about 8 minutes into it) they referred to the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact as an alliance. It was a non-aggression pact, you dimwits! Learn the damn difference! Allies don't need a non-aggression pact.

hc (between two scenes in the original, 1:15-1:30): "in the spring of 1941 nazi germany and the soviet union were allies. but everyone knew this couldn't last."

and again at 8:15:

hc: "in 1939 nazi germany and the soviet union have signed an alliance. but stalin harbored no illusions."

original: "despite the signing of the molotov-ribbentrop pact, the soviet leadership [didn't have] illusions."

wouldn't you say there's a substantial divergence here?

also, here at 3:03: Great War. Series 1 - Barbarossa. part 3 of 5 - YouTube

hc: "the poor design of the soviet shells meant that many simply shattered on contact with german armor."

original: "using the wrong technology, the shells simply shattered upon impact with the high-hardened german armor."

in contrast with hc's derogatory portrayal of "poor soviet manufacturing", the original implies the simple fact that the (light) tanks in question were becoming obsolete. there was nothing wrong with the design or production quality of the shells they were using. light tanks in general proved too vulnerable and underpowered during ww2, regardless of the reliability of their weapons and the country of their origin. i never heard anyone saying, not even on history channel, that there was something wrong with the shells that were being produced for the newer and heavier t-34 and kv-1 tanks. the reason why they were so much more effective in comparison lies simply in their superior technological characteristics (shortly, better armor and bigger cannons).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I just finished watching the entire series and it is Great. Loved the footage and really thought the 3D rotating images were a nice touch as well. There are 18 episodes in total and I was completely unaware of the large scale battles that occurred with Japan after the war in Europe ended. Overall it is well done, but please be warned that it is a Russian Documentary and most of the episodes focus on this perspective.

Here is Link to YouTube Channel that has all episodes:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MustL1ve/videos

Upvote 0