• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Sorry Bolts, but Semi Autos stole my heart...

Well playing to win isnt simply capping. Playing to win is also to let more people cap while you yourself cant.

if you are talking about a supporting role to those who are capping, I totally agree. Although you can do the same thing while inside the capzone on most maps which helps your team to win.

For the record, it was the term 'capwhore' that put a derogatory spin on it for me, so if I misunderstood your intentions, my bad. There just seems to be a natural tendency for some players to make things sound negative for some reason, no matter how much of an integral part of the game it is. Haven't really figured that one out yet.

Upvote 0
if you are talking about a supporting role to those who are capping, I totally agree. Although you can do the same thing while inside the capzone on most maps which helps your team to win.

For the record, it was the term 'capwhore' that put a derogatory spin on it for me, so if I misunderstood your intentions, my bad. There just seems to be a natural tendency for some players to make things sound negative for some reason, no matter how much of an integral part of the game it is. Haven't really figured that one out yet.

Correct, but sadly enough this argument is all too often used as an excuse to just randomly camp in a map instead of supporting the team.

Upvote 0
I'm usually one of the first people ingame and I always end up picking a bolt action rifle. I get the MN91/30 all the time if I'm playing on the Russian side and the K98 only if the MP40/41, STG44, or MG42 are taken. The Karabiner's ironsights are inferior compared to the Mosin's. I never pick the semi auto rifles unless I snag the sniper position because the weapons seem less accurate with the scope (or maybe I'm using the scope wrong, but I can never land a hit) and I feel the need to make quick follow up shots, even though I never hit anything anyway. I prefer to snipe without a scoped rifle anyway because you make yourself a smaller target. With a scoped rifle you have to raise your head up higher.

Upvote 0

[=KAS=]wo0t: "Guys, we've got thirty seconds, come help hold LangerMarkt"
ROPlayer: lol, **** yu noob, were ok
Player: yeah woot stfu, no one cares about you

"Allied Forces have won the battle"

[=KAS=]wo0t:"For ****s sake........"

In the past two weeks, I have had numerous people tell me to stop asking people to get in the capzone. I don't know if it's the freeweek people or what, but it's gotten to the point that unless I know I can play with a [=KAS=] guy, or another clan I respect, I just don't pub.

I've been called a capwhore on my own server. Checked WebAdmin, I had 97 kills as a sniper on Lyeskrovy. Then I was called a noob for attacking with my boltaction sniper.

I ended up with over 400 points and a bunch of idiots telling me to hang back and be ineffective. My style of sniping is to use it as an assault weapon, and the scope comes in handy once I'm in a capzone and can lock it down.

People don't agree with that. Fine. But when did it become okay to ridicule, insult, and TK the guy who is leading his team by a good 300 points?

Sorry, this turned into a rant, but I can't stand pubbing anymore (at least for now). I get accused of hacking because I pistol people spraying wildly with a PPSh, I'm a noob because I don't snipe in a traditional fashion, I'm "OMG STEALING MY KILLZ."

Grrrrrr.

Anyways, back on topic. I enjoy bolts for the challenge, the accuracy, and the fact that stabbing people is kewl.

Upvote 0
Honestly I hate to sound elitist but some pub players annoy the hell out of me. Just as an example being axis in kessel and having 0% reinforcements you really have to force allies into a bottleneck to win, despite having a nice defensive line set up people will still wander ahead because apparently waiting for the enemy to come to you is impossibile in RO. Once again it will be 3 people against the entire other team.

Back on topic I usually just take a KAR98 and will eventually steal an SVT or grab a smg off a dead teammate. With a real rifle you are guarenteed to hit them first, yet if you ambush a group of enemies with an SVT thats where it really shines.

Upvote 0
I like the bolt, but almost always go for the semi if I'm going rifle as there's almost never a long range inf map where the bolt shines anymore. Tractorworks is about the only long range map I see nowdays (non tank) and even that usualy comes up with the server empting out of people at the same time.

T.

Upvote 0
Well on most maps I'll take the semi, but on certain ones (Kryokovo for instance) the bolt is far superior. On that map (and other long range ones, even Leningrad in a lot of cases), you simply can't hit the enemy when they're only a pixel in the distance. With the bolt, I simply rack up kills at a ridiculous rate on Kryokovo, usually hitting 80% of the time (when they're stationary), and the only reason I might miss at all is because I'm impatient.

So yes, the bolt is SIGNIFICANTLY better at sniping. Even if you have your sight dead on with a semi-auto, there's a good chance you'll miss.

And yeah, bolt elitism is absurd. Can people get any stupider?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It depends the maps and the situation of course , in some situations , bolt is better as it is more accurate , in others semi-auto rules because it has a greater firepower and enough accuracy to fulfill most tasks .

IMO , anyone who's good with bolt , will be at least as good with semi-auto when he gets used to them , whereas the opposite is not necesarily true .

Semi auto forgives mistakes in many situations at close to medium range where you can rely on faster firing and faster reloading , whereas a Bolt rifle doesn't really forgive mistakes at these ranges against experienced players/shooters when you miss your first shot .

Also hipshooting at close range with semi-auto is almost as dangerous as an SMG and gives you a big advantage in confidence and effectiveness against bolters . Also , at long range , rifles like the SVT or the G41 is not that bad even though its not as deadly as a bolt .

And about the snipers , the semi-autos sniper although a bit less accurate than their bolts counterparts at long range , actually are more deadly when used for fire support when you get the feeling and used to them , because of the ability to not lose track of the contacts after each shots (no bolt reloading ) , the better scope zoom and superior rate of fire .
only cases i would prefer a bolt sniper like Mosin or K98 , is when i want to camp and snipe from really far or do some counter-sniping .

Upvote 0
This is funny. Bolts harder than MGs? Not on your life.

With a bolt, you can shoot from cover without being seen, you have a weapon that puts bullets exactly where you point it, and you can move and shoot with great ease in any stance. You can even turn right around while in ironsights to cover your own flanks. You are not a high priority target for the opposition team.

With an MG, you have nice bright tracers that tell everyone where you are even if they don't have line of sight; you have a weapon that doesn't put rounds where you aim, but sprays them around (including the first shot, especially with DP); you can only shoot accurately when deployed, which takes time, and you can't move and shoot at all. You can't even look over your shoulder to check your flanks once deployed. You are a high priority for the opposing team, especially for tanks on the opposing team.

There's a reason professional soldiers consider the machinegun placement first and only then worry about the rest of the squad, and it's not because 'ZOMG MG are n00b b0ltS are 1337!!!11!!'.

Upvote 0
^^^

Amen. There's a whole other game when it comes to MGs and staying alive from rifles who are a decent shot, enemy MG, tank HE (omg Gorlitz :) ), and even nades as you can't run. As in realestate, location, location, location. If it was so easy, how come only the good ones last long enought to request ammo. Might be easier to get more kill points (non cap) than a bolt in maps like Gorlitz, but that doesn't mean you're fully using the potential of the MG. Easy is not measured by your kill count, but the full effectiveness of your weapon. Eg, even though you have more kills than your usual, are people loving your tank use or cursing you to give it up? ;) . Now if they could only improve the finiky deploy and clipping quirks.....

I love RO for the great MG game it can give, work those angles. And nothing I love more than sucessfully pulling back positions and taking out attacks on my old position, just like the movies. But as with the bolt, the smaller maps make for less MG work.. unless parking yourself at the end of a corridor is your thing.

T.

Upvote 0